Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, 4733 miles, 2018 Lincoln Navigator L, 3.5 Liter Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
That poor car being used under those conditions is more likely to develop an oil leak then a oil consumption problem . The vehicle will probably fall apart before the motor fails. He'd be lucky to get 6-700,000 miles out of it. How many other people actually wear a cars motor out? Can you get a better UOA for a vehicle used under those conditions?. Rode hard and hung out wet to dry.,,,

Last edited:
Give RGT a shot or maybe Mobil truck. These oils were developed for conditions you are stating and have good dose of additives you need! A few people other than me have stated on here, quite a noticeable difference with this oil. I went from Mobil to RGT in my Jeep, and preciously valvoline prior....RGT has been the only oil where there was a drastic and noticeable change, quiet, smooth, bump in mpgs.....cold starts in -30 no labouring what so ever. I think that motor would love the add package in that oil.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Ford specs 5w30 in the US because of CAFE. If they could get away with it they would spec 5w20. The fact that they DONT in this application says A LOT. No one is listening though.

Countless examples of manufacturers specifying a range of temperature dependent grade recommendations for the global market and a single light grade for the US market (for the SAME engine).

I ALWAYS review global market specs for my engines, and tend to use a thicker grade after the manufacturer warranty period (because my climate more closely mirrors the surface of the sun than say, Canada.)

This topic has come up quite a bit lately. This blind allegiance to grade recommendations in the US while completing ignoring CAFE and its effects or its requirements is mildly disconcerting. There is a reason why there is only one recommendation for oil in the vast majority of modern US manuals. It's spelled CAFE - and manufacturers are required to recommend the grade used for testing purposes. So to maximize their full fleet economy (the effect of even an additional 1/4 or 1/2 an mpg is staggering) they go straight to the thinnest oils possible.

0w16 is the next step. Manufacturers are running out of options on the technology themselves - they are forced to find compromised solutions to meet CAFE.

5w40 or 0w40 in OP's scenario is likely beyond fine.

Completely agree with you.

The blind adherance to factory grade recommendations (which are clearly and verifiably due to CAFE) is obtuse, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back