Mobil Comments on NORIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IIRC the Germans had Synthetic Oils durning WWII...

So did we.
The conventionals of the time would not hold up in our high output, turbocharged aircraft engines.

Not turbocharged engines, but turbo jet engines.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: finalyzd
What if I ran dino in a 2009 bmw??

Im not sure I would bet money that a 2009 BMW serviced with 5W30 BMW Synthetic every 15,000 miles would last longer than it would with Rotella T 10W30 Conventional every 7,500 miles.

BZZT.

Ever seen the sludge aftermath of 15k services?

I really don't know why people think the things they do, that synthetic oil is some super-product with unlimited performance. Look at the starting TBN of BMW oil and Rotella, they are the same. So, a little investigation, rather than speculation, easily dispels the marketing or whatever made you believe what you believed about synth oil.

The problem with spec oil, as I see it, is that once "speced", it's locked into a formula. Regular PCMOs and even moreso, HDEOs, change with the rapid advance of lube technology.

As for starting TBN, not all oils are equal. If two oils start with the same TBN that doesn't mean they will be the same after, say, 10K. Base oil, as I understand it, makes a big differance in TBN retention.

Last edited:
Still delving into theory and speculation to support your arguments? How do you know Rotella doesn't have BETTER TBN retention?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Still delving into theory and speculation to support your arguments? How do you know Rotella doesn't have BETTER TBN retention?

UH Oh! Am I in trouble again? Hope not. Didn't mean to infer Rotella doesn't. Rotella may be better. I'm really sorry if I boo booed. I was only saying all oils don't retain TBN the same, and base oil may have something to do with that. Please except my apoligies for my confusion I created.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

So did we.
The conventionals of the time would not hold up in our high output, turbocharged aircraft engines.

Most of the US WWII aircraft, like Germany, had piston engined with a supercharged, but some US planes had a turbocharger. The US planned to use turbocharging for a performance advantage but there were problems so they used mostly superchargers. They still could benefit from synthetic over the mono-grade Group I. Anyway I think the US knew about synthetics and they predate the war.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

So did we.

Most of the US WWII aircraft, like Germany, had piston engined with a supercharged, but some US planes had a turbocharger. The US planned to use turbocharging for a perfromance advantage but there were problems so they used mostly superchargers. They still could benefit from synthetic over the mono-grade Group I. Anyway I think the US knew about synthetics and they predate the war.

Very true. In the 60s I flew in the Navys P2V Neptune and we had two R3350 turbo charge 18 cyl radials and two J 34 turbo jets. Radials used 80 wt. Mineral oil and the jets used a synthetic jet oil. The Germans did begine to produce synthetic jet oil in the 40s as their jet research was ahead of ours.

Very true. In the 60s I flew in the Navys P2V Neptune and we had two R3350 turbo charge 18 cyl radials and two J 34 turbo jets.

Evidently the mineral oil was better by then.
Golly I love the sound of a big air-cooled radial. Nothing else like it.
That resonant droning when they fly in a B-17 for the air shows. Beautiful.
Sorry to get off topic

I know I'm off topic, Please excuse, but turning up those big radials(starting engines) was a hoot! What power they had. Noise, vibration, smoke on start, they had it all for a young jet mechanic of 21.

Last edited:
Amoco sold one in 1929. Germans advanced the technology. Dr Zorn was the man, he also liked banana oil. Dr Zisman was an American researcher in Naval Research Lab who made similar advancement.

Yeah, yeah, we've all seen the pictures, but...

Is there undeniable proof that these 15k services were in fact done on approved synthetic oil and not some bulk mineral oil? Or that they were in fact 15k services and not something much longer?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is there undeniable proof that these 15k services were in fact done on approved synthetic oil and not some bulk mineral oil? Or that they were in fact 15k services and not something much longer?

We've also seen the pics of a bimmer that used 15k OCI. very clean pics too.

Hey there are one presumably, and one probably, and no maybe, and does Amsoil still use diesters??? Remmember you have a moral obligation to take money from a sucker of group thought. W.C. Fields says so.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
they've never run many of the tests they quote

Not being defensive - just trying to keep it factual. So basically this guy peppers this whole statement with "presumably" and "probably" and a "maybe" and the usual web type rambling speculation, but this seems like a pretty strong statement. Does he have any proof?

I didn't think so.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pulling your chain here, but what about the trans fluid where they said they can't test it, but using modern scientific methods can make a fluid that equally, and better as good.

They are claiming to meet a standard, though not applying the test.

And they clearly state what they did. Buster has posted it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Lots of high-end cars are specifying synthetics, but that has more to do with their desire to present a certain cachet to the market rather than the actual lubrication requirements of the engine in question."

That`s the part of the article I agree with completely. I just don`t believe that any automotive internal combustion engine "has" to have synthetic oil,especially since most synthetic oils are actually conventional base stock oils anyway.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My friend has a 03 Windstar 3.8 V6 doing 15K OCIs. M1 5-30EP. The engine now has 120K and appears to be very clean, and running well. We have cut the filters open to check for sludge or carbon bits and the M1 filters are very clean. Just a thought.

Last edited:
This may be irrelevant at this point. Despite what many have always assumed, Amsoil was not always using the latest and greatest adds. I've said this repeatedly but since 2004??? Amsoil has grown and really done a nice job staying up with modern additives. For awhile there, they were a bit behind the majors in terms of using modern additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back