Mobil/Castrol websites oil selector . . . interesting result

Status
Not open for further replies.

2x

So I decided to check the oil that Mobil 1 says is for my car. Manual states 10w-30 for temps above 19 deg F and 5w-30 for all temps. Their web site as of the last time I checked said the same thing. Today it has changed. It now says the same thing for the 10w-30, but recommends 5w-20 for all temps. I checked Castrol's - same results in regards to 5w-20. Has anyone heard if Honda is recommending this oil for models they recommended 5w-30 before or is this a Mobil 1/Castrol thing?

2x

I played around with their oil grade calculator for both the Castrol and Mobil web site. I'll have to say interesting also. On my 02 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 manual it says to use 5W-40 and 5W-30 if the 5W-30 is not available or use any oil for your climate. Ok on Castrol's web site, the grade calculator says to use 5W-40 and 5W-30 for all temps which sounds like its straight from the manual. They only have one option to choose for temps. But Mobil's web site is the one with interesting results. It gives several recommendations for the car. 10W-30 for 5-59F, 15W-40 above 5F, 5W-30 all temps, 5W-30 below 59F. They don't mention any 5W-40 and don't know why they repeat 5W-30 twice. Last time I checked the site with same search, they said 5W-30 below 59, 15W-40 above 5F, 20W-40 above 14F and another one think it was 5W-50 for all temps. There was no data for 2002 GLS model, so i used the 2001 GL. Plus the Mobil's site gives you like several engine codes but same engine while castrol has only one choice. Seems like castrol's site is more updated.

Weird. The Mobil site did the same for my '99 Ranger. The manual specs 5w30; the site says 5w20.

PS. I'm not going to use 5w20.

smile.gif
M

The Mobil website oil finder suggest I might be able to use 0W-40 or 15W-50. Since neither oil meets the proper VW spec, they will not commit to saying any more than that. There must be a fear of liability issues behind this.

[ May 12, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Yes Ford "backward" recomended 5w20 to most engines back to 92. Honda has apparently done the same. So much for "clearances designed for 5w20".

-T

It largely sounds to me like the link Road Rage posted is about keeping the auto manufactures honest, no qualification only grade oil. If the EPA really cared about the environment, I think we should see some durability requirements. Should not the EPA be concerned with oil burners that go to the graveyard early? Of course, the UOA"s I see here, overall suggests the 5W-20 is working. Still, it will be a long time until either of my Chevies see any of it. I have backward switched the 77 to 5W-30.

''If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Eldert Bontekoe at (734) 214-4442.''

Do you think I could get through to him to ask about durability?

The local Ford dealer tol me Ford has changed its recommendation for 5W-20 back to most 1990 and later models. They even suggested I stay clear of 10W-30 in the Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC. Maybe that is why these results are coming up.(?) Not certain though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back