Mobil 5W20, 2002 Honda Civic , 3,423 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is my daughters and gets mostly short runs around town.

Oil filter is a Wix 1568.

6usp7k9.jpg

i would try another oil. not impressed.

i have been using GTX 5W-20 with good wear #'s and other like the penzoil platinum that looks very impressive.

Originally Posted By: BigBadf350
i would try another oil. not impressed.

i have been using GTX 5W-20 with good wear #'s and other like the penzoil platinum that looks very impressive.

I agree. Try something else until you get the numbers you want. Valvoline is a good oil for the money.

WAt. i thought M1 was better then this. I plan on using it for my 07 civic. Might reconsider but there is something stuck on my mind to get M1. And something on the other hand is telling me to get PP.

Originally Posted By: Bulli
WAt. i thought M1 was better then this. I plan on using it for my 07 civic. Might reconsider but there is something stuck on my mind to get M1. And something on the other hand is telling me to get PP.

If I had a choice either M1 or PP, PP would win hands down. I use to laugh when the guy in the M1 commercial use to say, "nothing outperforms M1." Yea ok buddy, keep telling yourself that. M1 use to be good.

Last edited:
Can someone explain what is so bad with this report? The viscosity #'s look OK to me, and keep in mind that the oil was used for mostly in city short trips. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625

If I had a choice either M1 or PP, PP would win hands down. I use to laugh when the guy in the M1 commercial use to say, "nothing outperforms M1." Yea ok buddy, keep telling yourself that. M1 use to be good.

can you explain to me why tough? im a noob i guess you can say. i cheked the specs on both websites and mobil 1 extended permormance out performs PP in most of the tests.

Yes, it's a good thing you ran the test because you need to get a different oil; those numbers are too high for only 3,423 miles.

Originally Posted By: paul246
Can someone explain what is so bad with this report? The viscosity #'s look OK to me, and keep in mind that the oil was used for mostly in city short trips. Thanks.

with a short OCI you want to see wear #'s below the universal avg..

the better oils will also turn in below average wear numbers, the lesser oils above average. i would be willing to bet you get better numbers with the other oils i talked about. for the price you paid for the mobil1 i think you can do better.

not everybody makes a good 5w-20 yet.

Originally Posted By: BigBadf350
Originally Posted By: paul246

with a short OCI you want to see wear #'s below the universal avg..

the better oils will also turn in below average wear numbers, the lesser oils above average. i would be willing to bet you get better numbers with the other oils i talked about. for the price you paid for the mobil1 i think you can do better.

not everybody makes a good 5w-20 yet.

well who makes top 5-20 oil so far?

well who makes top 5-20 oil so far?

hee, hee, thats like asking who is the best looking woman in the world.

all we know at this point is mobil1 5w-20 is likely not the best for this engine.

18.gif

not to steal the thread or anyhting but here are the facts on some oil... M1 and PP

vis @100. 8.65/8.48
vis @40 48.3/46.84
vis index 163/160
flash 228/224
pour -47/-45

M1 beats PP slightly in all of them.

What else is important when considering an oil?

not to steal the thread or anyhting but here are the facts on some oil... M1 VS PP VS M1 EP

vis @100. 8.65/8.48/8.9
vis @40 48.3/46.84/47.4
vis index 163/160/171
flash 228/224/235
pour -47/-45/-51

I think the topic starter should give M1 ep a try..

All I know is when I tried M1 in my truck a few years ago (approx 15K ago), when I would start my truck up once every 2 weeks, it would tap for a few secs until the oil pressure pumped up. My truck is stored most of the time and it is not driven much. I do not have the tapping problem with RP or Valvoline Synpower and I have let my truck sit as long as one month before starting it. I think it was the M1 TriSyn oil.

not to steal the thread or anyhting but here are the facts on some oil... M1 and PP

vis @100. 8.65/8.48
vis @40 48.3/46.84
vis index 163/160
flash 228/224
pour -47/-45

How well it performs in your motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back