Mobil 5000 10W40 Smell Like Liquid Styrene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know what it is? It smelled like an exotic synthetic even though I know it is not. It must be the4 VII's. It also smelled like the chemical used to make plastics and vinyl soft.

On the other hand my Trop-Artic smelled like burnt cooking oil and rancid meat. It was foul smelling.

I don't know what liquid styrene smells like, but I do like the smell of Maxlife oil. It is a nice plasticky smell.

I have worked with styrene monomer extensively. It is mostly the smell of the usual polyester resin used with fiberglass. It is also much of you smell when you burn styrene containing plastics. Burned polyvinyl has a different, more acid smell from the chlorine in it.

Diphthalates are a very common plasticizer used to make vinyl flexible. Like a dino base stock, they have very little smell unless heated. What you smell maybe traces of the C 8 or other alcohols used in the esters. I think they are also used as an ester based lubricating basestock. Phthalic acid is a harder to spell way of saying dicarboxy benzene. It comes in 3 isomers, ortho, meta, and para. The para is usually referred to as tere, as in polyethylene glycol terephthalate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back