Mobil 1 Wear Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I here you, I feel the same way. The reality is, you should be concerned more with deposits and sludge then comparing 10ppm Fe to 4ppm Fe. It's just not that a significant. This post mainly applies to the perfectionists out there. Keeping the engine clean is extremely important. You can have great wear at 15k mile drains, but if your engine is dirty from this, it's performance will be bad.

This is so true. All of those guys who are rejoicing that they're seeing similar or less wear with conventional over synthetic, may find themselves changing their tune if their engine is dirty after only 100,000 miles.
Bet I'll be fine with my "conventional" Pennzoil Long-Life...
grin.gif

Jason Troxwell,
I started doing oil analysis two and a half years ago. Long before I had the coolant leak. On my first four analysis, I had three with a potassium level of "0" and one with "3". My wear rates on all of these was not great.

BTW, I had the intake manifold gaskets replaced so the coolant leak should be fixed.

Wayne

Can I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my bike, just like I use in my car? Mobil 1 is Mobil 1, right?

Mobil 1 for cars and Mobil 1 for motorcycles are markedly different. Every oil is a balance of benefits. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic™ Formula for cars has been developed specifically to satisfy car manufacturers' needs for increased fuel economy and low emissions.That's why new cars come with friction-modified, low-phosphorus 5W-30 motor oil. The low viscosity and the friction modifiers help fuel economy. The low phosphorus levels help protect catalytic converters.

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.
Superior high-temperature stability.
Excellent low-temperature starting.
Outstanding engine performance.
Low volatility/low oil consumption.
It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Different base stock systems.
Different additive packages.
Different formulations to meet very specific engine requirements.

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils?
In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year.

Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have superior wear protection, engine cleanliness, high-temperature protection and lower oil consumption performance.

Once you get past these general advantages, you have to deal with each specific motorcycle oil one at a time to understand the benefits.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 MX4T. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars doesn't?

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

Mobil flat out admitts there oils are more designed for EPA requirements then wear. First question sums it up.
wink.gif

Okay, I forgot about those. But those drains are right before the ones where you know the gasket was toast, I don't think it's improbable that there was an intermittent leak. Or trace leak that didn't quite show the classic obvious signs. Why not try M1 a few more times now that you have the gasket replaced and then get an analysis. Betcha it's much better than the old ones...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

Not sure if M-1 thinness makes for higher Fe numbers

I don't think the rumor of M1 being on the thin side and causing cylinder wear or additional valve train wear because of lack of zinc holds true . In this thread created by Buster we can clearly see the Mobil 0/20 was used out of application given the miles on the motor and the spec vi the manufacturer calls for and the lead was a bit higher yet no appreciable valve train or other wear metals compared the the 30wt M1 or the Amsoil 10/30 that has been recommended as the " fix " due to it's higher vi and zinc content. The 0/20 was ran longer than either of the 30wts .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000938

Given the consumption rate of some motors I can't help but think some have been ran low on oil which will raise FE and then there is the fact that we have modular motors and other aluminum block motors that uses different material for the sleeves in an effort to exact the expansion rates .

Many things come into play but the link is a good compararison of the same motor..same driving and 3 different oils .

Motorbike makes a good point and in my case, the Amount of ZDDP didn't make a difference among all my UOA's. But read this statment from Mobil :

quote:

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

Jason,
My first analysis was only six months after getting the gasket replaced the first time. I guess its possible that the first repair never completely sealed but if thats the case, then its probably going to be the same this time.

The other main factor is that my engine has quite a bit of startup knock and more noise in general with the Mobil 1 which I don't like. I may go back to a synthetic but it probably won't be Mobil 1.

Wayne

I'll just add that the constituents of the UOA results are not the exclusive products of an oil's "addative package". I'm sure there are tons more products that go into creating an oil's addative package that we do not know about.

Not sure if M-1 thinness makes for higher Fe numbers, but this almost makes a case for going up in viscosity with synthetics...a question I've posed before. Since they pour better, why not use this advatage to go up in viscosity. Most will point out that synth's have higher shear strenght/film thickness (I've read as much as 5x). But, we're obviously not seeing this in real life. Gets us back to looking at A3 standards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back