What's going on with Mobil 1 and Amsoil formulations?

If anyone has noticed lately, some of the new UOA's we have of Mobil 1 have increased levels of ZDDP and Ca. Amsoil on the other hand has lowered the levels to SL API standards. This is a switch. IMO, it's probably lab inconsitancies, although the Calcium levels we know have been increased in M1 which has shown to be a great thing!.

Patman

Staff member
You've got to hand it to M1, they are definitely tweaking their formula a lot! I think that when I've used up my supply of Royal Purple, I'm going to switch my wife's Civic back over to Mobil 1 once again. I'm much more impressed with the UOAs I've seen on here from Mobil 1 5w30 than the ones I've seen with Royal Purple 5w30. [ September 04, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

buster

quote:
You've got to hand it to M1, they are definitely tweaking their formula a lot! I think that when I've used up my supply of Royal Purple, I'm going to switch my wife's Civic back over to Mobil 1 once again.
I don't blame you. I think they are reading this website. I'm serious too. [Big Grin] I was going to switch to Amsoil S2k again, but I see no advantage at all right now of using that. All they have to do now is make 5w/10w-30 a bit thicker!! It will then be A3 rated. [ September 04, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

if mobil 1 10w30 was a bit thicker, there would be absolutely no reason for me to keep using amsoil 10w30 ATM. the price of a jug of mobil 1 is just so cheap at wallmart these days.

buster

Don't forget though, that adding a qt. of 15w-50 is perfectly safe and would bring you up to Amsoil's kinematic viscosity. Just another option. It wouldn't be exact, but adding a thicker oil would definitely thicken it up a bit. Amsoil 10w-30 is a very good oil too.

Guys remember that Amsoil is a blender ,no magic they havent discovered any new super duper stuff they buy additives and the base oils and put out a heavy additized oil. Kinda like the fleet type oils. I am not knocking Amsoil . [ September 04, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

We'll have to send one of our...ahem...space assets over his house and see if what he pours into the car is actually grün...er green!