Mobil 1 video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil has a new video. I first saw it on my facebook news feed from their Mobil 1 page. I found it here on youtube.

I like the fact they show the engine parts. Not only that, how many other oil companies even do engine teardowns and show you the results?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lqKjVCKxA

The lady talks about and refers to the oil as "Mobil 1", I am curious as to which Mobil 1 was used in the testing? Maybe Annual Protection?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Heavily scripted commercial.

"I am an engineer and I shouldn't be surprised......"

lol and did she even look at the camera once in this commercial?

how many test cars did they start with? i suspect... more than 2. and these 2 lasted the longest.

they probably did 3k mile ocis vs following the gm olm.

that engine would have had the same results with walmart supertech synthetic, valvoline synthetic, oreilly synthetic, castrol magnatec or castrol edge...

Last edited:
they would have had the same results from any oil meeting the same specs as whatever mobil product they used.

I doubt they picked the best 2 cars or anything like that but what people dont realize is that these torture tests are not hard on oil or engines. Hard on engines is short tripping...bad EGR valves, low fluid levels etc.

Ford did a "hero" test on a 3.5 turbo when they first came out...remember that? Looked great...like new...torture!

In reality we had 3 as fleet vehicles and all three had horrible stutter issues under WOT that were NEVER corrected by the dealer and all 3 shelled both turbos before 200k miles to the tune of almost $4k per truck. Bearing here, cracked housing there...you name it.

Torture tests are a joke...so are taxi fleet tests.

You can drive a car to the moon and back...over 200,000 miles on the same brake pads...get it?

Taxi fleet tests have got to be the best thing for oil advertisements. Everyone thinks it's probably the most severe thing an engine can ever see, when in reality, it's the most ideal service.

Hope you did not expect more than the standard snarky responses on this site.

To prove your points - I bet all you guys line up 10 deep to buy used taxi cabs.

The taxi companies like it because they are probably getting free oil for those cars involved.

One thing that always catches my attention on these videos is how clean the engines are. No oil dripping, everything is shiny.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The taxi companies like it because they are probably getting free oil for those cars involved.

One thing that always catches my attention on these videos is how clean the engines are. No oil dripping, everything is shiny.

Haha exactly! As if the engines just got a fresh detailing job. I always notice that too.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Hope you did not expect more than the standard snarky responses on this sit

To prove your points - I bet all you guys line up 10 deep to buy used taxi cabs.

Lol, good point! Taxis start and stop engines much more than people think.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Hope you did not expect more than the standard snarky responses on this site.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
Taxi fleet tests have got to be the best thing for oil advertisements. Everyone thinks it's probably the most severe thing an engine can ever see, when in reality, it's the most ideal service.

yep....i'll show you a torture test...take my lovely 1.5t honda engine(tdi)well known OD'er drive it 80% short trip daily (2-3 miles max) frequent oci?? you bet...

We can all think of torture tests for oil, I'll use my van if XOM cares to pay me and supply the oil. lol Having said that of all the oil companies XOM has some of the best advertising. Granted it might not be exactly what a demanding Bitoger wants to see, but they are the best imo when it comes to their advertising.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
We can all think of torture tests for oil, I'll use my van if XOM cares to pay me and supply the oil. lol Having said that of all the oil companies XOM has some of the best advertising. Granted it might not be exactly what a demanding Bitoger wants to see, but they are the best imo when it comes to their advertising.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep their advertising dept is absolutely genius! From their HOT female engineers to their entertaining videos!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Yep their advertising dept is absolutely genius! From their HOT female engineers to their entertaining videos!

I think so. I think back of some of the garbage Castrol was putting out, dumping sludge on people/cars, or whatever the heck they were doing. Then some of the other oil companies bogus testing, names withheld, and yea the award for quality advertising goes to XOM.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Cool video...but meaningless.

Hey Mobil...want to impress me? Show me the inside of an engine that a little old lady drove 3 miles a day for 15 years.

Yeah I agree.

That Mercedes AMG video driven on dyno for 200K miles is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back