Mobil 1 Synthetic for 2020 F150 2.7 Ecoboost???

I recently purchased a new 2020 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. With the direct injection, twin turbos, and the low speed carbon issue, I am surely concerned about the oil bransd and quality that I use.

Last spring, I purchased a bunch (30 quarts) of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 (NOT extended formula) at Sam's club on sale (for my wife's 2014 Maxima). It has the SN PLUS banner on the back. However, there is no indication regarding TGDI engines.

So, is it ok to use this oil, or do I NOT use it, as there is better quality oil on the market.....for $45K, I certainly intend to keep this truck for a long time, so I want to make sure I am using the correct stuff...thanks in advance for any expert advice.....

Congrats. I love my 15 5.0 but if I were buying a new one I would be going with the 2.7 Eco. M1 is an excellent oil and can handle the TGDI Eco. Many other quality synthetic oils will also fit the bill. I believe what will matter more is the driving pattern(s) your engine is used for and the duration of the OCI.

If me, I'd be comfortable with the Mobil 1 and a 5k OCI. I'm a little nutty and would also dump the factory fill at about 2k :cool: and then start a 5k regime with new filter.

What
I recently purchased a new 2020 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. With the direct injection, twin turbos, and the low speed carbon issue, I am surely concerned about the oil bransd and quality that I use.
With those issues why did you buy the vehicle? What gives you the idea that the choice of a properly rated oil quality will make a difference? The M1 is as good as a good oil gets if that is your choice.

What

With those issues why did you buy the vehicle? What gives you the idea that the choice of a properly rated oil quality will make a difference? The M1 is as good as a good oil gets if that is your choice.
Actually, I wanted the 5.0 v8, but the trucks with the coyote engine that were left at the end of the model year were all high dollar vehicles. After driving the 2.7 ecoboost, I felt it would certainly do everything I needed it to do. I am super happy with the truck and the 2.7 engine.....however, I have no experience with turbos or direct injection of LSPI. Hence, I am trying to verify that I won't be destroying the engine or voiding the warranty.

Since my original post, I spent a couple of hours searching everything I could find:
Owner's manual says I need to meet Ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1
Ford also indicates the SN+ spec
Folks here says to use a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil

The Mobil 1 oil, of which I have 30 quarts, meets each of these specifications. So, at 6 quarts per oil change, it looks like I am good for 5 oil changes. At 4,000 mile OCI, I guess I'm good for over 20,000 miles. or about two years. Holy cow....

Thanks to all for your responses.......

Use it and rest well. Change every 5kmiles, we've seen what direct injection is capable of and it's better to be safe than sorry. Also make sure you change the transmission and diff fluid on regular intervals as well.

Carbon issue? with port and direct injection? Stick with toptier fuel.

Just shorten the interval to 1/2 of whatever the manufacturer recommends and don't worry about it. Use the 5k interval if the recommendation is 10k

Run a spray can or bottle drip IVD cleaner every year and remove enough carbon where it'll never build up enough to cause a problem.

You have to share that oil with the Maxima too, right?

Don't get hung up on any oil brand either.

Low speed carbon issue? LSPI? Doubt you'll have either one. Drive it. Give it the Italian tune up every once in a while to keep those waste gates moving and you'll be fine.

You bring up a valid point on making sure you get those waste gates opening! They are reported to have a NEED to fly every so often.

IIWM it would get a change at 2-3K, another at 5-6K then another around 10K. Then every 5K till you get tired of the truck. The Mobil 1 will be fine for 5K.

Ford was so right to upgrade their truck engines to both port and direct injection. Maintaining valves and great performance will add to the resale value of Ford's EcoBoost models. I so appreciate the fact that my non turbo 3.3l V-6 has both also.

Last edited:
I think Ford services that engine with semi synthetic; Ford people can chime in.
Your M1 is a great oil; probably superior to the Ford fill.

Nice truck, by the way. Please post a pic. If I were buying a new truck right now, the 2.7 would be my choice.

Use it with confidence.

Plenty of examples running fine on motorcraft semi synthetic.

I have a 2016 F150 with the 2.7. I currently am using Castrol Magnatec and have been quite happy.

For those chiming in, the earlier 2.7s are direct injection only and do not have a reputation LSPI or carbon issues. There are a lot of examples on the road.

This is my 4th F150, and by far my favorite. I'd buy a truck with this engine again right now. 70,000 miles in and I still smile when I drive it.

There is NO LSPI or carbon issue of any kind with any year 2.7.
I run Motorcraft semi/syn in mine. At 72,000 miles it seems happy with it.

The mobil-1 swapped with filter @5k miles will serve you extremely well. As others have stated, get her good and warned up once in a while. Run her on the highway under *boost* in the upper RPM range once in a while to keep her clean and clear. Feed her proper on top tier fuel. As a boosted engine, you *may* benefit from going up a few grades at the pump. See if she benefits and puts on more engine power with mid or premium fuel in the tank.

I'm no Ford fan myself, but all of those Ecoboost engines were born to run. Stick your boot in her *ss once in a while and spill and fill the sump with a filter swap every 5k miles.

No problems. 😉 Enjoy the ride!

Back