Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF availability in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why Autozone, Pep Boys, and O'Reilly (used to be Kragen) no longer carry the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF? I've been to all three stores in my area and no one currently carries it.

Originally Posted By: ricardo381
Does anyone know why Autozone, Pep Boys, and O'Reilly (used to be Kragen) no longer carry the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF? I've been to all three stores in my area and no one currently carries it.

Here in Illinois O'Reilly never carried M1 ATF, but AZ, and AAP does. Maybe they can order it.

All three chains used to carry it here. I was able to purchase it two years ago. It looks like I'll have to find an alternative ATF to use in my cars now. I've narrowed it down to a few preferences:

Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF
Valvoline MERCON V ATF
Valvoline DEXRON VI ATF

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
Castrol Dexron-VI

Since my 2003 only requires Dexron-III, it looks like any of these ATFs will work. It's my understanding that the Dexron-VI and Mercon V ATFs are full synthetics while the others are blends. Is this correct?

of the three you listed I would go with Dex VI. I think Castrol has a multivehicle fluid center around Dex/Merc instead of IMV. I don't know if it is better than their regular Dex/Merc. I looked it up and it looks like IMV might be better than their Domestic MV. IMV meets Mercon V but the domestic is only Mercon rated. I think Mercon is usually a blend and Dex VI has to be a blend or full synthetic. Dex/Merc may not even be a blend.

Go to the Advance Auto Parts web site and order 12 1-quart bottles of Mobil-1 ATF. They are $8.79 each. For 12 of them the price is $105.48. Then apply discount code ES123 to subtract $30 from the order which exceeds $100 and the total becomes $75.48. Since the total is greater than $75, the shipping is free. So buying 12 bottles means the price per 1-quart bottle is $6.29 and they all show up on your doorstep like magic. I don't know when discount code ES123 expires.

Bonus: Before 9:00 PM Pacific time on 30 Jul 2010 do it with bing.com and earn a 10% rebate. So the price after rebate becomes $5.66 per quart.

5.66 per qt for M1 ATF is a good price. Regular price at local AZ here is 7.99/qt, but the AZ stores in LA do not sell it per the AZ website.

I couldn't find the stuff in Northern California. When I asked why they said there's a component in that banned by California!

I wonder what it is! I'm bummed out, I was looking forward to trying some. I guess I'll go with Honda ZF1.

I was told that the State of California had banned Mobil 1 synthetic ATF because it contain some amount of VOC's (volatile organic compounds).

The local dealers here charge around $10/quart for the Subaru ATF-HP fluid. Anyone have better luck at their local dealers? The Autozone buy 2 get 1 free deal for Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF at 4.99/quart is looking like a much better deal. Does anyone have any experience using this fluid as a replacement for the Subaru ATF-HP fluid? Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back