Mobil 1 response- I am dissappointed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Mobil 1 for the TBN of their 10w30 & 15w50 and ....

mad.gif

>You have asked for the TBN of our Mobil 1 products. Sorry but that data
>has not been published.
>
>Technical Support Engineer (WJF)
>
>
>The information contained in this email may be confidential and may also
>contain privileged attorney-client information or work product. The
>information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
>which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the
>employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you
>are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying
>of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
>information in error, please notify us by telephone immediately. Thank
>you.
>
>Please advise if the Technical Support Center can provide further
>assistance.
>
>Exxon Technical Support: Mobil Technical Support:
>800-44EXXON, Prompt 3 800-MOBIL25, Prompt 3
> (1-800-443-9966) (1-800-662-4525)
>
> FAX: 262-313-2316

Well, that sucks...

If it helps, last month I asked the tech who did my last analysis at Blackstone Labs what the TBN of virgin M1 5W-30 is and he believed it is "about 12"...

Mobil doesn't have the best tech support. TBN is around 10-12 from what I've seen. My latest 5w-30 VOA showed a TBN of 12.1.

Thanks for your help guys! I am not sure if I want to use their oil if they can't produce a good data sheet and bad tech response's,even if it is on sale at Wally's. That is kind of opposite of their advertising/racing.
dunno.gif

I'd just pick an oil based on how well it works in my car. Not many of the oil companies will dazzle you with their tech support.

What specs do you want to know? You can find them all here. Amsoil makes their specs clearly more visible.

You can send a sample off and get it tested! You can also order TBN test strips as well to test it yourself! Hope that helps!

I encountered the same bulls*** when I was informed that Mobil no longer released the specs for their expensive synthetic oils. Especially Delvac 1.

Oddly enough, the Mobil Delvac 1300 Super DOES have full specs!

Go figure.

In Canada, Esso appears to be quite willing to share technical data with you. Their test results for Esso XD-3 Extra, a HDEO, are perhaps a bit too detailed.

Jerry

I know I can test it myself, but I was hoping they were proud enough of their product to give you basic info w/o doing it myself.
dunno.gif

Maybe I am missing something here but as a lube engineer I find no relevance for TBN for gasoline engines....??? Which is why the Mobil tech engineer did not have a response... All of Mobil's diesel engine oils have TBN's listed and is of course a very important aspect for diesel engines.. Gas engines?? Explanation please...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Maybe I am missing something here but as a lube engineer I find no relevance for TBN for gasoline engines....??? Which is why the Mobil tech engineer did not have a response... All of Mobil's diesel engine oils have TBN's listed and is of course a very important aspect for diesel engines.. Gas engines?? Explanation please...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

shocked.gif
lol.gif

Because there is a large following of MB diesel owners who use M1 0w-40 and/or 15w-50, depending upon the engine. And its important to us! The oil is API certified CF after all...

Thanks,

JMH

Mobil wants to keep their customers like mushrooms: in the dark and covered in... you get the idea.
tongue.gif

Like I've previously said, I'd love to see the FULL specs on the M1 5W-40 ("SUV" - primitive marketing), but Mobil won't show. What, are they afraid the average customer will go and brew his own oil? Or do they think the competition can't analyze their oil for the recipe? Jeez, I'm going to buy my oil elsewhere. Out of PRINCIPLE, I won't buy the cat in the bag!

Again, for a diesel oil, TBN relevance, totally needed.. For a gasoline engine oil such as Mobil 1, Why?? Mercedes Benz diesel owners should be using a diesel oil, such as Mobil Delvac 1, Delvac 1300S, etc.. which have TBN's posted loud and clear..
Obviously, I missed something again..
George

George,

I suspect the concern over the TBN of Mobil 1 is with regards to running extended drain intervals in gas engines. With only a 4-5 quart sump, the TBN can drop pretty fast in some of these high performance engines. Clearly if you are only running 7500 mile drain intervals with Mobil 1, I wouldn't be worried about the TBN ....

Ted

quote:

Obviously, I missed something again..

Talk about toeing the company line.......

C'mon, there are thousands of posts on this site in reference to TBN in gasoline engine oils.....

Did you ever poke your head in those threads telling us all we're wasting our time??

I want to know the TBN!! It's that simple.

If Mobil does not want to ablige, and repeatedly tells us that we don't *need* to know (so they're not going to tell us), then that's business they may lose.....

Sorry.......

The reason I wanted the TBN was that other gas oils have it listed or have e-mailed me back w/ it. I know they they have it and their is no real reason them not to tell me. It was more of a test of their customer service. I guess I'll stick w/ Havoline,maybe Chev Delo 15w40 this summer 'cause I'm el loco
tongue.gif
burnout.gif

Mobil Australia will give information freely. I have a beef with Castrol at the moment.

Mobil Oz just told me the TBN of the Mobil1 0W-40 is 9, no problems and a fast email response.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back