Email signature threat legalese

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Stuff like this:

Quote:
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately.

I always laugh. This stuff comes on messages from lawyers and CEOs and business development types.

Really?

If YOU made a mistake, I am prohibited from doing what I like with the information? Of course it is the right thing to do, and I would never spread information that isnt mine or anything like that. But it is just funny because an email really holds no weight and it was the sender in the wrong, but the sender is essentially threatening the recipient who didnt intend to receive the message.

Discuss.

We use these statements as a requirement with my job. Our company handles proprietary drawings and military specifications on a regular basis so its required... does it actually help or prevent anyone from actually doing anything wrong should they mistakenly receive an email from me? Doubtfully....

They may have some grounds or at least could make it very difficult for you.

It would take an extraordinary situation, but possible.

Similar case: Bank (or IRS, etc) makes a mistake and deposits large sum into your account. You spent all the mistaken money. Think they can't go after you?

PS: I am not a lawyer, just been around a while.

Last edited:
I got a fax by accident from a doctors office, a referral. It had the patient's SSN and all sort of other stuff on it. (If you aren't on Medicare don't give doctors your SSN for crying out loud! They hire completely incompetent back office staff)

Anyway I called the voice number on the cover sheet to let them know the fax didn't make it. (The area code they intended started with "9" so they made a local call to my fax, using the 9 to dial an outside line.) The lady wanted me to fax it back to them, as if that would somehow get it out of my hands.
lol.gif

Why don't we worry about something that matters like:

People who say "Discuss".

or

Why cashers can't manage to hand you back your change with all the bills oriented the same...

or

Why the Sheriff thinks he's doing anything for the public safety pulling over cars going 5 over on a straightway in a blind corner with ditches on both sides...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

or

Why cashers can't manage to hand you back your change with all the bills oriented the same...

or

Why the Sheriff thinks he's doing anything for the public safety pulling over cars going 5 over on a straightway in a blind corner with ditches on both sides...

Whoa - did you miss your morning Jo?

Originally Posted By: user52165

or

or

Whoa - did you miss your morning Jo?

No, I'm always like this and that is the stuff that bugs me...
whistle.gif
I'm much worse without coffee...

FWIW, we were told NOT to put any such disclaimers in our e-mail signature. Unfortunately for the topic I failed to retain the reasoning for such instruction.

Originally Posted By: Doog
We use: "This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee."

I love it.

Originally Posted By: email

Subject: sushi?
Body: Bob, you feel like hitting up Maki Sushi later on, thinking about going at about 1pm. LMK

***"This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee."

Because if someone were to possibly find out John and Bob's lunch plans....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I just laugh at it. Always a cover your butt mentality.

Just hope you don't get sent a classified document by mistake someday.

I laugh at it as well.
Sometimes I hate this world we live in. Sadly it's only getting worse.

or

or

Yes, the last one... its called revenue generation. Happens alot in Montreal. Too bad the money they collect doesnt go towards roads, hospitals or education. (speaking about Montreal of course)

Last edited:
I love how an email exchange ends up looking like a mess of nested quotes, as the disclaimer is added to the bottom of every exchange...your company disclaimer, my company disclaimer, yours, mine, yours, mine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The lady wanted me to fax it back to them, as if that would somehow get it out of my hands.
lol.gif

Right, that'll eliminate the cats out of the bag.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: Doog
We use: "This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee."

I love it.

Originally Posted By: email

Subject: sushi?
Body: Bob, you feel like hitting up Maki Sushi later on, thinking about going at about 1pm. LMK

***"This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee."

Because if someone were to possibly find out John and Bob's lunch plans....
lol.gif

LMAO Exactly!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I got a fax by accident from a doctors office, a referral. It had the patient's SSN and all sort of other stuff on it. (If you aren't on Medicare don't give doctors your SSN for crying out loud! They hire completely incompetent back office staff)

Anyway I called the voice number on the cover sheet to let them know the fax didn't make it. (The area code they intended started with "9" so they made a local call to my fax, using the 9 to dial an outside line.) The lady wanted me to fax it back to them, as if that would somehow get it out of my hands.
lol.gif

The best one is when they send the notice "To recall the last message"
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back