mobil 1 oil filters worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound stupid, but if dirty oil is going into a filter and clean oil is coming out, how can a filter bypass clean oil? By definition, bypassed oil is dirty oil. Isn't it?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
Not to sound stupid, but if dirty oil is going into a filter and clean oil is coming out, how can a filter bypass clean oil? By definition, bypassed oil is dirty oil. Isn't it?
confused.gif

I guess I should clarify dirty oil. By dirty I mean at the bottom of the filter housing is theoretically the dirtiest oil due to gravity and any solids should fall to the bottom. If the bypass valve is on the bottom side, then when it goes into bypass, then you would be bypassing the worst of the unfiltered oil. However, if the bypass valve is on the top side , then you would bypass a cleaner version of the unfiltered oil.

I wish I could find the original MOPAR filter study. It talks about some of this in its decription of where the bypass valves are located.

Anybody have the web site?

Kevin in Texas

I was curious about what the Ford forum was calling the by-pass in the bottom of the filter.

I happen to be one of those strange people who buys new filters and cut them open. So I went out to the shop and pulled several of my cut-up filters.

The PureOne PL10241 has a by-pass valve located nearist the dome of the canister. The Motorcraft FL-400S has the by-pass nearist the base plate.

The Mobil One and Bosch Premium also have the by-pass nearest the base plate. With the WIX by-pass near the dome of the canister.

I can see where when the filters goes into by-pass with the by-pass valve in the dome the dirty oil will pass the full length of the dirty filter material in order to make it to the filtered side of the system.

Bosch may be my next oil filter.

quote:

Originally posted by neilw:

I can see where when the filters goes into by-pass with the by-pass valve in the dome the dirty oil will pass the full length of the dirty filter material in order to make it to the filtered side of the system.

Bosch may be my next oil filter.

Don't forget that even with the bypass valve open, it still maintains the specified pressure differential across the filter media. If the filter has an 8 psid bypass, when the bypass opens there's still 8 psi holding the dirt into the media, and part of the oil is still passing through the media due to that pressure differential (unless the media is completely clogged).

Ken

Several years ago I switched an old Grand Prix (89) that my daughter got to M1 and used Pure1 filters on it. I cut the first one open and found that the bottom of the filter(dome) was covered with sludge which I suppose migrated down from the media when the engine was off. With this in mind I would now not use a Pure1 on an older car that I was converting over to Mobil 1. It appears that bypassed oil would be washed over the sludge build up if any is there. Regards, RW

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think you guys are thinking of the SHO oil filter article that I posted here, in particular this section of it:

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart2.htm

Patman, sorry that I did not remember that you were the one who posted it. I have read so many threads that I forget where they came from sometimes.

Now in review of this article, are you still leaning towards the Pure 1 filters? I know that you have the catalog and have been looking at them closely.

Based on a few threads that I have read, the Bosch Premimum may be the best filter for the money. Autozone sells them for about $5-6.

Opinions?

I still am not comfortable running the PureONEs on my cars. Cost isn't a big issue, as they are only a couple of bucks more up here than the Premium Plus filters. I just worry that the PureONEs filter too good, and will end up going into bypass too often. Since they aren't a fully synthetic media like the Mobil 1, I don't believe they can do as good of a job at oil flow as the Mobil 1 will. We don't have the Mobil 1s up here. We also don't have the Bosch Premiums, but in looking at their specs I would probably use them if they were up here, especially since their price isn't too bad. The Bosch premiums score a 93% on the Multipass efficiency test.

For my money though, it looks like the regular Purolator Premium Plus filters fit the bill just nicely.

[ August 30, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I still am not comfortable running the PureONEs on my cars. Cost isn't a big issue, as they are only a couple of bucks more up here than the Premium Plus filters. I just worry that the PureONEs filter too good, and will end up going into bypass too often. Since they aren't a fully synthetic media like the Mobil 1, I don't believe they can do as good of a job at oil flow as the Mobil 1 will. We don't have the Mobil 1s up here. We also don't have the Bosch Premiums, but in looking at their specs I would probably use them if they were up here, especially since their price isn't too bad. The Bosch premiums score a 93% on the Multipass efficiency test.

For my money though, it looks like the regular Purolator Premium Plus filters fit the bill just nicely.

Patman,

Can you post a list of all the filters that you have looked at with their single pass & multipass efficiencies?

It sounds like you have all of the information.

Thanks

Hehe, I do have some data saved up, although in some cases the data I have doesn't say what micron size they are referring to. Anyway, here is what I have:

Purolator Premium Plus:

99% efficient SPE at 10-20 microns
96% multipass efficiency

PureONE:
98% multipass
(I think it's 99% efficient in SPE at 10 microns)

Ultraguard Gold:

98% SPE at 8-10 microns
96% MPE (I think, I'm going from memory on this)

Mobil 1:

98% SPE at 10-20 microns
95% MPE

K&N:
90% MPE

Bosch Premium:

98% SPE (at what level I don't know)
93% MPE

I think the MPE test is a better test since it's a standardized test so I believe that even though no micron ratings are given, that you can compare the data from one oil filter brand to another since they all run the same test the same way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anybod know why they say that AC filters are junk? The mini Mopar page showed it to be one of the better "cheap" filters.

In the SHO page in part 5, choosing a filter:

Ok, I admit, nobody has ragged on cheap AC oil filters like I have in the past. I called them worse than Fram, which is a cheap shot of cheap shots. So as I was finishing my research, and behold rumor was that AC Delco was coming out with an ultra premium oil filter, named the UltraGuard. The AC Delco web site had suspiciously robust performance claims.

The regular AC Delco oil filters are very quality pieces, solid construction and all, however their filtering media isn't all that efficient. I believe they only score 80-85% on the MPE test, and they only filter out about 98% of particles in the 25-30 micron range. So they really are only efficient at catching the bigger stuff. Since the Purolators are about the same money up here, that's why I have decided to switch. I currently have an AC Delco PF35 on my car, but next oil change (which is this Sunday now!) I'm putting on an L30040.

Patman,
Are you using the Purolator Premium or Pure One?
I am wondering if the Pure One is worth more than two times the price of the Premium which has proved pretty good.
I have used both and I really did see two times the price difference in service.
Actually bewteen the AC Delco and both of the Purolator brands they all seemed about the same in 5,000 to 7,000 mile service.

Steven
dunno.gif

P.S.
I have one of the Wal Mart champion brands that I also am going to try.

quote:

Originally posted by neilw:
Kevin in Texas

I was curious about what the Ford forum was calling the by-pass in the bottom of the filter.

I don't remember which site it was. It was either the pickuptruck.com or stangnet.com website.

I am going to be using the Premium Plus.

What do you mean when you say you saw two times the difference in service?

Want I meant to say was that for the Purolator One being more than twice the price of the Purolator Premium I DID NOT notice the Pure One giving that much better service (i.e. twice the service being it is twice the price) than the Purolator Premium oil filter.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back