Mobil 1 Noisy? Audio Recordings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Moves..
quote:

If you noticed, Maxx did not state whether or not he has had the noise problem with M1

If you didn't notice, it isn't even going into the truck for quite awhile..

My last is, I don't have the trouble with M1, I have difficulty with the noise theory, but if others' experience is to "feel" "hear" or "sense" the difference, who am I to argue? It IS their vehicle, after all.

I'll be backin on outta this one
cheers.gif

Someone has a rather strange ax to grind here after all. It has begun to acquire the feel of..I dunno, HOSTILITY!
twak.gif

See ya!
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
I sense something coming to BITOG....

A "Used Oil Recording Analysis" section, or UORA for short.
gr_stretch.gif

All we need is for the Acoustical Engineers to step up and offer their expert analysis of the recordings.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

What? You haven't heard of the AURA (Acoustic Uptake Resever Additve) standard, slated for the SQ oil in 2009?

Man
pat.gif
Where have you been
confused.gif

Come on! Someone with a digital camera with audio dubbing capability ..or even a cheap tape deck do a little testing here.
frown.gif

Certain mp3 players also have microphones and can record audio.. I'm trying to find mine at the moment.. I love losing $200 items.
banghead.gif

I am still hearing low viscosity tap tap tap noisse. But I ain't tellin' ya'll what grade or brand of oil.
Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap.............Tap.

fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

BTW,
Can't we all like get along? Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap
cheers.gif

If Mobil 1 makes an engine more noisy in a garage, and no one is around to hear it, did it really make the noise at all?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominik:
BTW,
Can't we all like get along?

Dominik you must be kidding. Get along in the middle of a crisis this dire? I'm afraid there won't be any getting along until someone steps up, grabs a microphone and complies with moving2's demands. Come on people no more excuses, step up and makes those recordings. Please. Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't believe those who say Mobil 1 is just as quiet as other oils. I think it is all in their heads. I mean, it's obvious to any thinking person that Mobile 1 is noisier. I think the ones who think it is just as quiet or quieter need to make some recordings...I just don't believe it. C'mon, step up to the plate! I want to hear these famous same-level noise recordings! It should be easy to do, right? Just record your M1 fill, then dump it, put in your ST, do another recording, then superimpose the readings so that the whole world will finally have their suspicions confirmed, that M1 is noisier!!!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Ok, how about this. I'm about 500 miles from doing my next OCI. Current fill is Exxon Superflo SM 5w-30. I was planning on changing to Havoline, but I also have in my stash some Castrol GTX and Pennzoil. All 5w-30, all SM/GF-4 oils. I did have some GC but I sold it to a fellow BITOG'er, so that's not an option. I have a JVC Mini-DV camcorder, which has a pretty sensitive mic, and I could record some audio of before and after my next OCI. Only thing is it's going to compare Superflo to something else. Word on the street is Havoline has that quiet, calming effect, maybe I could do that? Sorry, no M1 going in my engine, at least not until I deplete my dino stash, but hey, Superflo is an XOM product...
grin.gif
If that will make moving2 finally calm down about this sound recording thing, I'll be willing to do it...
rolleyes.gif

Actually, I did this earlier this year with a sound pressure level meter when I changed over from Mobil 1 to Havoline to see if I could measure any difference. The end result was that I couldn't measure any difference, or hear it, for that matter. At least it was an attempt to be objective. You can do a search for my post and look at the protocol I used if your are interested.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
... I could record some audio of before and after my next OCI.

Only problem is, it wouldn't prove anything one way or the other.

Assuming there WAS extra noise, who's to say whether that noise was the result of new vs. old oil (or a bazillion other factors)?

I appreciate your attempt to pacify the sensitive nature of moving2, but I'm afraid he'll find some "excuse" as to why it's invalid.

*sigh*

This is what I think of this entire thread...

crushedcar.gif

Mobil 1 never made any of my engines louder, and even if it did, I wouldn't care.
grin.gif

But we should all let Mercedez, Aston Martin and Porche engineers know this as it could mean a lot of destructive engines for these fine automakers.
lol.gif

Astrovic, that's exactly a point I was trying to make in my second reply to this thread. For reference...

"The truth of the matter is, you nay-sayers are so determined to show us how full of crap we are, that you'd be the first one to call the test rigged, or call B.S. if it were able to be documented through an audio recording."

If it were able to be documented accurately, which we all know would be very unlikely, there'd be some reason that B.S. would be called, like we purposely manipulated the audio recordings..

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil 1 never made any of my engines louder, and even if it did, I wouldn't care.
grin.gif

But we should all let Mercedez, Aston Martin and Porche engineers know this as it could mean a lot of destructive engines for these fine automakers.
lol.gif

Lol buster. Nobody was testing the validity of M1's quality, just it makes some engines, not ALL, a bit noisier than others. The piston slap on my Grand Am (3400 V6) was horrible with M1 in it. I was almost ashamed and embarrassed to start the thing up in the morning. Obviously, it wasn't like that the whole time, but it was a bit noisier on the top end than other oils even after it was at op temp, both dino and synthetic. No other oil made my engine sound the same as M1. Sorry, but that's just how it is...er..was lol.

Lord help us. We're all a bunch of deranged freaks who spend our spare time thinking about oil.

Admit it, who here has actually had a DREAM about oil?

cheers.gif

Moving2, find someone in your area with a 6.0 gm engine 2002 2500hd gm's work great. and offer them a free oil change with mobil 1 5w30SL and and the oil filer of your choice. it will only take a minute.
I am not a mobil1 basher. i just put the sm stuff in my impala with 3800 engine and it is nice and quiet. and i have been seing lower iron mumbers in the UOA section with M1 sm stuff.
When i put M1 in my 2500hd and it ticked(warm idle) i called mobil's 800 number. the fellow told me it does make some engines a little noisey, but your engine is being protected. that was in 2005 so i am sure that was sl oil. also i tried a couple different filters with the oil just to make sure that was not the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Lord help us. We're all a bunch of deranged freaks who spend our spare time thinking about oil.

Admit it, who here has actually had a DREAM about oil?

cheers.gif

I like to run through fields of GC when i sleep
shocked.gif

bighead I know, I was just joking around. I don't doubt in some engines it makes them louder.
smile.gif
I wouldn't worry about any noise. The only thing I can think of as to why it's louder is from the AN's which replaced the Esters. That is really the only thing I can think of that makes M1 different then the others.

I know you knew better buster, I was just takin a jab at the ol' ribs
grin.gif
. I just made that statement incase anyone else might equate noise to non-protection. I know M1 is great stuff, but, me personally, I'm just not too thrilled with an oil making my already not-so-quiet engine even louder. If not for that reason, I'd run M1 till the wheels fell off, and would probably still have a spotless engine. I might give the SM stuff a try later on down the road, but, for now I'm just gonna run dino for awhile
cheers.gif

I don't blame you, the SM oils are syn. blends really and the best bang for the $$. I too wouldn't be happy about a noisey engine.
cheers.gif
Who knows, the SM M1 might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back