I put mobil 1 in and it is quiet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the regular mobil1 5w30 in my 05 Ram1500 3.7 and with 1k miles on the oil it is quiet,smooth and picked up 2-3 mpg. The truck turned over 15k today. Going to run this oil 5-6k with mopar oil filter.

Quote from an eddyzima post in moving2's recently closed thread on Mobil 1 noise:

"When i put M1 in my 2500hd and it ticked(warm idle) i called mobil's 800 number. the fellow told me it does make some engines a little noisey, but your engine is being protected. that was in 2005 so i am sure that was sl oil."

It seems to me that if a Mobil representative answering its 800 phone number inquiries says that Mobil 1 makes some engines a little noisy, that goes a long way toward proving that its a FACT that Mobil 1 makes some engines noisy. I find it hard to believe that Mobil would let the rep say that if it were not true.

I'm not a Mobil 1 basher. In fact, I'm on my second 10,000 mile run of Mobil 1 in my 03 Ford Ranger, and in my wife's 03 Subaru Forester I'm on a 10,000 mile run of Mobil 1 EP, after a 10,000 mile run with Mobil 1. Neither engine has been noisier with the Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP. I'm pretty much sold on Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP.

However, during the 46 years that I've been driving, anytime anyone had a noise develop in their engine it was considered to be something to be concerned about, checked into, and remedied. So if Mobil 1 makes some engines noisy, I don't blame them if the owners switch to another oil. I'd switch too.

I certainly hope that all of our complaining has brought about a reformulation of the M1 SS oils. The previous oils were absolutely unacceptable from a noise and harshness standpoint even with minimal mileage on the oil. They also better have fixed the leaking thing. People have been complaining about that long before the SL and earlier SM oils caused the savage noise.

It depends on the engine as to if it's "acceptable."

I've used M1 for 25+ years in lots of vehicles and in only 1 did I notice an increase in noise. That was an air cooled 4 cyl motorcycle engine.

I've noticed none of this "harshness" I hear so much about. I've also had no problems with leaks other than to say that things made in Japan don't tend to leak, and things made in Detroit typically do.

People complain about a lot of things. Some of those things are even real...

It's not M1, obviously. Everyone knows that M1 is noisier. It's the law.
dunno.gif
You must have bought it at Wally World. There ..a more ethical oil switcher swapped it out for ST 2000 and returned it. This was opposed to "the old used oil in the new bottle and return it trick" (Don Adams voice applied)
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back