Mobil 1 Noisy? Audio Recordings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astro- pretty sad excuses. Frequency response is largely determined by the sampling rate your system uses. You can determine the rough frequency response you can expect by halving your sample rate. For instance, "CD quality" recordings are done at 0-44.1 kHz. Half of that is roughly 0-22KHz. A sample rate of 48kHz results in a frequency range of roughly 0-24kHz. The typical frequency range of human hearing is from approximately 20Hz to 20kHz. Plus, a good set of headphones can provide excellent sound reproduction. How about this: why not actually give it a TRY and see for yourself?

quote:

Originally posted by moving2:
Astro- pretty good excuses.

I don't need to make excuses.

I no longer spend $7 a quart for Mobil 1, simply due to budgetary considerations. I had an excellent run with the stuff in my Honda Civic (I no longer own).

Good luck with your crusade nevertheless.

quote:

Astro- pretty sad excuses. Frequency response is largely determined by the sampling rate your system uses. You can determine the rough frequency response you can expect by halving your sample rate. For instance, "CD quality" recordings are done at 0-44.1 kHz. Half of that is roughly 0-22KHz. A sample rate of 48kHz results in a frequency range of roughly 0-24kHz. The typical frequency range of human hearing is from approximately 20Hz to 20kHz. Plus, a good set of headphones can provide excellent sound reproduction. How about this: why not actually give it a TRY and see for yourself?

Oh, brother..
lol.gif

They have doctors you can talk to..resolve your issues.You don't have to embarrass yourself this way, Move..
offtopic.gif

This is ridiculous. You are the EE, according to your signature. So you should be the one doing the recordings to teach us something. You have a supposition and are counting on it being proven true just by nobody being willing/able to produce sound recordings with different oils. I know there are sound differences between using some oils vs some others. It's as real to me as knowing how my mother's voice sounds. But I don't have a recording of it to play for everyone. It's no small thing to ask people to run out and do this within a day using 2 different oils. Step up to the plate that you are asking of others.

JAG- you are mistaken. I do not have the noise problem in any of my vehicles, so doing a recording will not prove anything. That is precisely why I am asking those who claim to have the noise problem to do the recordings. Also, I am not asking people to change their oil within a day. I am just asking for someone who claims to have the noise problem to AGREE to give it a TRY- meaning record it with each oil using their normal OCI. So I ask again- step up to the plate, people.

Relax, moving2. Many of these claims may be true. I don't suffer from the use of M1 (except our dearly departed T&SUV and waiting for TD - the king is dead -long live the king!) ..but I surely know that lower visc will give me HLA tick and heavier oil will reduce it.

I would only question those that went to a lower visc and said it was quieter. But that's just due to my practical real world observations with my engine. Between my use of 20w-50 (absolutely quiet HLAs) and on down to 5w-20 (jazz cymbol ensemble at idle) ..there had to be some threshold of visc that allowed these noises to occur.

Even if they are the exact same CST @100C ..that doesn't mean that the VI is the same ..or even that it react in a linear manner between (or over/below) the two reference points that we have (40c,100c)

Once Mobil gets off their high horse and buys Accusticsolve® from Catrol (used in their Quietrain® formula) ..all these problems will evaporate into thin air..

Again, I'd be happy to help you if I had the condition ..but right now I'm M1 free.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
They have doctors you can talk to..resolve your issues.You don't have to embarrass yourself this way, Move..
offtopic.gif
[/QB]

The only person I see embarassing themselves is you, "toocrazy" (who needs the doctor?)
wink.gif

You provide no factual arguments, no data, no contribution to the thread. If anyone is off topic, it is you. And you're right, you should move your totally off-topic posts to another thread. I was responding to a question about recording quality, which is related to this thread.

Gary- I don't claim the noises do not exist, I would just like some semi-objective data on this.

M1 EP seem to make my engine smoother...then again, I was going from a 5w-20 to a 5w-30

maxxtabes- thanks for being the FIRST to step up! Others please take note and consider doing this yourselves!

bighead- Um...so I misread maxx's post, but I wonder if he will try a recording? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, Sunshine?
smile.gif

I sense something coming to BITOG....

A "Used Oil Recording Analysis" section, or UORA for short.
gr_stretch.gif

All we need is for the Acoustical Engineers to step up and offer their expert analysis of the recordings.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

toocrazy- thank you for an on-topic post! Nope- no scrap bin. Hopefully just one of many data points we'll get in this thread. If you noticed, Maxx did not state whether or not he has had the noise problem with M1. I was really looking for people who claim they have the noise to post recordings, but the more data the better, so I welcome Maxx's post if he's going to do a recording!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back