Mobil 1 million mile test 20 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really that impressive - continuos operation, with little shut down and start up, and no extreme climate, isn't even the slightest bit hard on an engine.

Plus, it got 'regular maintenance' - what did Mobil set that at? If it was 3k OC's on M1 with continuos operation, it doesn't stress the engine at all.

The Las Vegas Taxi Test of M1 EP comes closer to being a 'hard test' of oil.

neat video. I remember seeing the pamphlets on this (thought it was a maroon 325i though), but not the video.

Why don't they just fill a bunch of Mom's Minivans with it and give them free oil changes?
That would be a REAL testament of any oil.

Lots of cold starts parked out front. Lots of stop and go. Slow in 104 degree parking lots while picking up the kids. Fast when they are late to some after school activity. Heavily loaded on the way to see Shrek XVIII with all the kiddies and their friends squeezed into there like a clown mobile from heck. Heavy loads also seen from taking the Scouts camping in it.
Extended oil changes are frequent due to lack of time between kiddie activities.

Although every minivan I have ever researched has transmission problems LONG before any other problems emerge it would be an interesting test. Mom's have their vehicles abused by kids and kids activities regularly.

Very impressive test. A lot of effort went into that. I guess that may be one reason no other oil company to my knowledge does test like that.

Been posted and discussed here on BITOG on a few occasions in the past.

I'm pretty sure my M54 would get to 1 million miles as well, if it wasn't for some of the other components such as cooling and electronics that might stand in the way...

Well, they didn't use a Yugo for the test platform. I imagine a good bit of research went into which vehicle/engine was used to do that run.

I too take on a quiet smile to the low tone "regular maintenance". It's like Han when Luke said that the reward would be more than he could imagine. Han said that he didn't know about that. He could imagine quite a bit.

So, let's speculate on what they meant by "regular maintenance". Do we have time to add it to the question sticky??

..now Tig, before you take it and run with it, any of those miles won't have any relevancy to "real miles". There's no occupant driven vehicle on the planet that runs like that.

..but I would hope that it would at least appear to be some protracted amount. I "imagine" that they tapped off samples along the way to determine sensible fatigue points.

The more time I spend on BITOG, the more skeptical I become of the differences between them. Using an oil of the appropriate API certification, ensuring it is of the correct viscosity for where it will be run, and ensuring the oil level is maintained, and changing it at the appropriate time, all take precedence over the brand. Its kind of like the icing on a cake. Some engines may have quirks (maybe even all engines) that make them favour one brand over another, but this is the least crucial factor in the equation.

Brand is the aspect I'm most flexible on. I look at what provides the best bang for the buck, in terms of properties versus price, and then buy accordingly.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Been posted and discussed here on BITOG on a few occasions in the past.

I missed it apparently. I know the more current million mile test using a Mercedes was posted and discussed with a full screen shot by screen shot break down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,
I understand what you are saying. This is a controled test. However a million miles is still quite a test as the pistons still go up and down, and the crank goes round and round.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
The more time I spend on BITOG, the more skeptical I become of the differences between them. Using an oil of the appropriate API certification, ensuring it is of the correct viscosity for where it will be run, and ensuring the oil level is maintained, and changing it at the appropriate time, all take precedence over the brand. Its kind of like the icing on a cake. Some engines may have quirks (maybe even all engines) that make them favour one brand over another, but this is the least crucial factor in the equation.

Brand is the aspect I'm most flexible on. I look at what provides the best bang for the buck, in terms of properties versus price, and then buy accordingly.

-Spyder

Very nice post!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm impressed. When you got here to now you have LEARNED (and that is the MAJOR REASON for BITOG and WHY it was created) a LOT.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

-Spyder

Very nice post!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm impressed. When you got here to now you have LEARNED (and that is the MAJOR REASON for BITOG and WHY it was created) a LOT.

Thank you!

I have definitely learned a lot in my short time here (and still am - part of why I keep coming back every day). The collective knowledge base and wisdom here is enormous, and its reshaped many of my Pre-BITOG beliefs. Its also introduced me to new products and methods I didn't know existed until I joined and began posting.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Why don't they just fill a bunch of Mom's Minivans with it and give them free oil changes?
That would be a REAL testament of any oil.

Although every minivan I have ever researched has transmission problems LONG before any other problems emerge it would be an interesting test. Mom's have their vehicles abused by kids and kids activities regularly.

Besides the Mom and Kids stuff, our minivan ('03 Montana) also gets used to haul firewood, building/landscaping materials, motorcycles, furniture, my son's band and all their equipment, etc. Sometimes all that stuff is in the van, sometimes it's on a trailer behind the van. 103K miles of hard use so far with Mobil 1 in the engine (changed by OLM) and MaxLife ATF in the tranny (changed every 30K).

Originally Posted By: tig1
Gary,
I understand what you are saying. This is a controled test. However a million miles is still quite a test as the pistons still go up and down, and the crank goes round and round.

And on a fully warmed up engine, there is very little stress on those parts.

I like MB-1 very much, (Mostly only use SOPUS,MB-1,and CP motor oil`s) But I have to say that the outcome of this test would have been just as good on conventional. Op on here already pointed out the other concerns re; the test.

Last edited:
I agree. You would be in a totally protracted flat part of the bathtub curve. In the right engine, at the right output level, you should have nearly 100% of 90% of unavoidable wear moved out of the equation. The engine would (could possibly) transition through the warm up phase once in its life time. Even if they shut it down every 1000hours for inspection, they would have less than 1/1000 of the normally unavoidable wear. Most engines don't drive one hour without a cold start.

The durability of the oil would be about the only variable in the whole thing.

Originally Posted By: ron917
Besides the Mom and Kids stuff, our minivan ('03 Montana) also gets used to haul firewood, building/landscaping materials, motorcycles, furniture, my son's band and all their equipment, etc. Sometimes all that stuff is in the van, sometimes it's on a trailer behind the van. 103K miles of hard use so far with Mobil 1 in the engine (changed by OLM) and MaxLife ATF in the tranny (changed every 30K).

You should call Mobil for them to give you free oil to continue the experiment.

What flavor of M1 do you use? M1 5W30?

What OCI does the OLM give you?

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Originally Posted By: ron917

You should call Mobil for them to give you free oil to continue the experiment.

What flavor of M1 do you use? M1 5W30?

What OCI does the OLM give you?

Free oil would be nice! But it really doesn't cost that much. $23 for a 5 quart jug at WalMart twice a year won't break the bank.

I use the M1 5W-30, which is the recommended weight for the engine (GM 3.4L V6). I use the M1 Truck & SUV when I can find it, don't know if it's really any better (same price as normal M1 at WalMart). I replaced the factory oil with dino at 1000 miles and then went to M1 at 2500 miles, then by the OLM after that. I use AC or Wix filters.

The OLM has run between 6500 and 7500 miles. It depends on the weather (shorter in winter) and if we take any long trips (longer with more long trips).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back