Mobil 1 million mile test 20 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we are dealing in a tooth fairy world. Pleaaaase
54.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Very impressive test. A lot of effort went into that. I guess that may be one reason no other oil company to my knowledge does test like that.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Now we are dealing in a tooth fairy world. Pleaaaase
54.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Very impressive test. A lot of effort went into that. I guess that may be one reason no other oil company to my knowledge does test like that.

Wellll? They don't.

The defender of the faith!! Tig1
thumbsup2.gif

..but how do you know a lot of effort went into it? I mean, one can feel they did, but so did building my jeep a few years ago. A very common act for those who applied that effort.

Does some credit ..or "ATTA BOY!" group applause session need to occur? Some " sssssssssswhew (wiping sweat off of brow type imagery)!"

Cool video. Not a realistic interpritation of what to expect from using Mobil 1 but neat none the less. Im sure if they did that outside in a realistic driving enviroment this video wouldnt exist.

Originally Posted By: ron917
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Why don't they just fill a bunch of Mom's Minivans with it and give them free oil changes?
That would be a REAL testament of any oil.

Although every minivan I have ever researched has transmission problems LONG before any other problems emerge it would be an interesting test. Mom's have their vehicles abused by kids and kids activities regularly.

Besides the Mom and Kids stuff, our minivan ('03 Montana) also gets used to haul firewood, building/landscaping materials, motorcycles, furniture, my son's band and all their equipment, etc. Sometimes all that stuff is in the van, sometimes it's on a trailer behind the van. 103K miles of hard use so far with Mobil 1 in the engine (changed by OLM) and MaxLife ATF in the tranny (changed every 30K).

My Aerostar sees similar use, less the motorcycles, and band equipment. It hauls paint and equipment instead making many short hops. I'm closing in on 190,000 miles and for most of its life it saw PYB. Recently I started using what ever dino oil was on sale. Still going strong. Your use and my use is harder on an engine and oil then these hand picked tests. Not picking on Mobil here either, a general comment here, that's all.

I'm really not overly impressed with these tests where an engine is run day and night like that. Let them deep freeze it, start it drive it 10 minutes shut it down deep freeze it to simulate sitting 8 hours and repeat the test doing that. Make it easy, log 250,000 miles that way. Then brag.

Agreed. A quarter of the mileage on a real world daily driver means far more to me than a million miles done on a tightly controlled dyno lab test.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Agreed. A quarter of the mileage on a real world daily driver means far more to me than a million miles done on a tightly controlled dyno lab test.

-Spyder

They might just be equivalent in terms of engine conditions. Anyone looked at it from that angle? Much easier, but for much longer. 4 * (1/4) is still 1.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

-Spyder

They might just be equivalent in terms of engine conditions. Anyone looked at it from that angle? Much easier, but for much longer. 4 * (1/4) is still 1.

Possibly. I don't think you can extrapolate much from a controlled dino study as far as real world usage goes though, and that's more what I was getting at.

Apples and oranges. Factors in one are pre-determined and constants. In the other, little is constant or pre-determined, and there are more variables at play. It may be interesting from a purely theoretical or academic point of view, but I would make few - if any - real world interpretations from it.

-Spyder

Have any oil companies done 1m mile test on Non-Synthetics or Dino? That would be any interesting comparison. Run two M-B's or BMW's next to each other and then show me the difference between the two. I want two things compared directly. These videos/tests have merit, but looks good does not always mean it tastes good either!

No money in that. The point of doing the tests on syn is to sell syn. These are the flagship products.

-Spyder

I bet an inline 6 BMW would make it that distance on PYB under those conditions. Or something like Delo. JMHO. Those are great engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back