Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 in Chev 3.1 V6 167K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I own a chevy lumina with the 3.1 V6, and 167,000 miles.

I have used regular Mobil 1 5W-30 for most of the cars life, except during Auto RX treatments.

I also have UOAs for 3k miles using M1 5W-30, and 2,000 miles using Chevron Delo 15W-40 for this car (ARX rinse).

I went to walmart looking for M1 10W-30 HM, and they were out of the 5 quart jug. SO, I thought, why not, and I picked up a jug of the 10W-40.

Well, I can honestly say, I can't tell a difference.

I plan on doing a UOA for this after 3k miles, and letting you all know how it worked out.

I have a 3.1L V6 w/138k...and use Maxlife in that particular motor. I'm thinking that I will get as good as results using Maxlife as I would with M1 HM. I also do not like the fact that one day M1 HM is stocked, then you can turn around and in a few days it is no longer stocked. I think a good oil is one that is readily available and has great wear numbers...i.e Maxlife. Maxlife is available virtually everywhere and Chinamart (seems to be the Bitog word for Walmart
smile.gif
) is very very rarley out of the weight you need in that product.

Quote:

I have a 3.1L V6 w/138k...and use Maxlife in that particular motor. I'm thinking that I will get as good as results using Maxlife as I would with M1 HM. I also do not like the fact that one day M1 HM is stocked, then you can turn around and in a few days it is no longer stocked. I think a good oil is one that is readily available and has great wear numbers...i.e Maxlife. Maxlife is available virtually everywhere and Chinamart (seems to be the Bitog word for Walmart
smile.gif
) is very very rarley out of the weight you need in that product.

Actually, there's a M1 HM 10W-30 UOA here and the wear numbers were quite good...

------------------------------------------------

I'm also using the M1 HM 10W-40 (Saturn oil burner) and the results have been good as the slow leaks have stopped and usage is down a bit.

However, looking at the cold pour temp. numbers (-54F for 10W-30 & -38F for the 10W-40), I'm not sure the 10W-40 doesn't contain a lot more Group III...

I'm not refuting that M1 HM is good, and will result in great wear numbers. I'm certain it does... My only point is that I like to use a good product that is readily available. Nothing boils my blood more than when I am in need of an oil change and head off to Walmart and they are out of what I need. I'm sure most of you know that urge to change your oil, and many of you will move the earth to make it happen. Well, that's me to some extent. I don't see M1 HM stocked as well as Maxlife. But I'm willing to bet that Maxlife will show as good a wear reading as M1.

SAM... i am going to answer your IM in the thread, because i think it will add to the thread:

i completely get what you are saying about making it last.

i used to have a 1993 lumina, with the 3.1 i ran nothing but valvoline max life 10W-30, and the engine tore a connecting rod off the crank shaft at 146k, and that was that. so, then i bought this one, a 1998, and i have been using nothing but M1.

so far i am at 167K, and running fine.

there are 2 threads that made me change my mind about the regular M1 5w-30. first was the one about oils with a high HTHS # and reduced wear. the point of that thread was that wear goes DOWN as the HTHS # goes up, to a point of diminishing returns.

the standard M1 has a HTHS of 3.09 and the M1 HM 10W-30 is 3.66 also, the M1 HM 10w-40 is 4.06

now, the second thread was about straight 30 weight oils and wear. that was a good thread.

based on those 2 threads. i want a higher HTHS #, and with the naturally low pour point of synthetic oils, I will be able to run M1 HM 10w-40 in the summer, and M1 HM 10w-30 in the winter and not worry much about excessive start up wear. while still having a robust oil.

Ok, I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you, but what is HTHS? I'm assuming this is insignificant in comparing Maxlife to M1 HM because of all the good things I've read about Maxlife here.. Am I correct?

Wait..never mind..I'm an idiot!!! HTHS..high temp high sheer...DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! LOL

Yeah..while M1 HM may have a good HTHS value, I've never heard anything about about Maxlifes low HTHS..at least low in comparison to M1 HM. Has anyone else noted any issues the HTHS values of Maxlife resulting in any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back