Mobil 1 FS X2 5w50 vs Supercar 5w50?

By the VOA, the Supercar 5W-50 looks like midSAPS detergent/TBN level with Fricton reducers/ZDDP levels higher than a typical fullSAPS formulation.

I guess, LT6 valvetrain being all mechanical with no hydraulic compensation requires the higher organic ZDDP formulation to preserve the finger followers and Cams. The Porsche GT engines have similar valvetrain and I won't be suprised if the newer M1 CGT 0W-40 formulation is somewhat similar to 5W-50 supercar.

View attachment 211480

View attachment 211475

Compared to the FS X2, the Supercar MSDS shows a GTL base and the additive pack ingredients look like the ones used in a ACEA C3/ESP formulations.

View attachment 211474

The FS has group 2 ish base with standard ZDDP

Very thoughtful and informative post, thanks for this. I really appreciate posting the MSDS and explaining the info.

You are correct that the Supercar 5w50 was developed specifically to protect the finger follower and cam valvetrain of the new corvette. They took the base 0w40 Supercar and specifically added viscocity / anti wear / moly / boron, and decreased the detergents to protect the valvetrain.

On the Porshce GT3 911.1 it had a similiar challenge with documented valvetrain wear on the finger follower. Folks that used Mobil 1 5w50 FS X2 va Mobil 0w40 euro seemed to make it longer without issue. On the 911.1 GT3 RS (2016) they added more oiling to the head, lowered the redline rpm, and on the 911.2 GT3 they removed the hydrauilic lifter, and replaced it with a solid mechanically shimmed lifter which seemed to fix the issue. The issue root cause on the 911.1 GT3 was/is the hydraulic lifter would slightly collapse around 9000 rpm, and the "pump back up" hitting the cam face out of timing sync. After many micro impacts, the DLC wears off on the finger follower / and/ or cam, sending debris through the engine, eventually causing a timing misfire due to cam / finger follower wear.

Many folks on the Porsche forums assumed / thought the new Mobil 1 C40 GT would be similiar to the Supercar 5w50, but it looks almost identical to Mobil 1 ESP X3, which doesn't make much senseo.

My specific interest in both these oils is how they protect the valvetrain. The Supercar though not specifically spec'd as A40 I suspect will protect the cam / finger follower better than the FS X2. The FS X2 if only group 2 / 3 depending on which chart you reference looks like a very basic oil. I have 10 quarts of FS X2 ready to go in, but I am going to order Supercar 5w50 today. I like staying in the mobil 1 family since I have to believe it limits the risk of other unknowns /additive clash.

What other additives are directionally protective of valvetrain? Moly, boron?

Thanks again, YLK1, informative post.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I don't know much about additives.
Just started reading Leslie Rudnick's Lubricant Additive book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1032402164

The book talks about additives over multiple chapters based on intended use:
1712012538932.jpg

Distinction the book makes between Anti-Wear/Extreme pressure/Friction Modifiers
1712011221489.jpg

1712011762867.jpg

Multiple chapters in the book highlight ZDDP in it's multiple forms being good at anti-oxidation, anti-wear, extreme pressure.
There is essentially no single replacement for it. Reduction of ZDDP requires more amount of ashless phosphorous/sulphur compounds to get anti-oxidation and wear back in line
1712014180682.jpg

1712014204232.jpg

Book talks about Boron compounds being good at dispersion and mild anti-wear (via Boron nitride films).
Boron Nitride being a good solid lubricant.
However, they are not a good replacement for phosphate films as per the book:

1712012251360.jpg

The boron (probably from borate esters) in M1 oils is probably more for dispersion than anti-wear.

On Molybdenum, the book talks about MoS2 as a solid lubricant and various organo-moly - phosphourous/sulphur compunds working synergistically with ZDDP.

Last edited:
Back