Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 | 5,000 miles | 2022 Kia Soul with 25,000 miles

More high speed highway miles this OCI and the engine hums at about 3,000 rpm at 80mph. Comments welcome. Previous sample was
Amazon Basic 0W-40.

Soul 4-24.jpg

Fuel dilution seems consistent so far with the miles but just note that it doesn't always track w/increasing miles at the same rate. I thought Mobil 1 oxidation readings were <10 now on all these oils but your results show 31. Maybe there's some exceptions on their products. Do you know when you purchased this Mobil? Results look good for the early mileage.

Fuel dilution seems consistent so far with the miles but just note that it doesn't always track w/increasing miles at the same rate. I thought Mobil 1 oxidation readings were <10 now on all these oils but your results show 31. Maybe there's some exceptions on their products. Do you know when you purchased this Mobil? Results look good for the early mileage.
This is the older SN version (high calcium).

This dude says it's because it's a PAO ester blend - his sample measure at 35.

That version was. The latest SP version is not. It is speculated Mobil is using ANs in the Triple Action which won't show an oxidation spike.
I bought this oil some time last year if not two years ago.

That first sample of the Amazon Basic shows it was put in at 0 miles. That can't be right. That UOA does not look like an engine with 0 miles. No break-in metals or silicon. What was actual vehicle mileage during the Amazon oil run?

That first sample of the Amazon Basic shows it was put in at 0 miles. That can't be right. That UOA does not look like an engine with 0 miles. No break-in metals or silicon. What was actual vehicle mileage during the Amazon oil run?
That was from 15K-20K miles on the car. I find Oil Analyzers system tedious to fill out.

I had a 2010 Soul for a few years. They rev hard on the highway and drone bc they are a large box. The main reason I kept my old G5 for my all-highway commute and sold the Soul, much quieter.
UOA looks okay, but SI and FE seem a bit high - maybe check air filter for leaks or needing replacement?

You don't have questions or concerns. You show no desire to move into something else.
Why does this thread exist, other than two UOAs on two SN 0w40s?

I would dump SN. HyunKia 4 cyl GDI / TGDI engines won't load-up on carbon so fast, using SP Standards Oils.
0w40 5w40 and 10w40 SPs are available, since you appear to like the thicker oils. One that you might really like is a frankenblend of 10w30 and 0w40. I used Mobil-1 Euro and Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 50/50 blend there. The longest lasting engines from Korea are the ones that kept relatively clean. Short OCIs are the best medicine for them, plus keeping the oil volume full.

I scratch my head for having so much interest in HPL and Amsoil lately. Do I really need all those nice ingredients. Most members here would also hesitate to abandon the frankenblend I just used, witnessing the visual and hearing results I've had. Yes, one can simply look into that used oil bucket and decipher if the oil is worn out, or not. Or perhaps it's me, changing oils since 1970. No usage - super smooth & quiet Hyundai engine with the Blend and now I'm venturing into something else...... really makes no sense. But I trust Amsoil and HPL to do even better. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

It would have helped and I could have gotten more specific, had the OP mentioned what engine he's dealing with. There's a difference in how to address one versus the others. I'm not sure if he's got a NU 2.0, TGDI 1.6 or the 2.5 Smartstream.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40 (SN) has a KV100 of 12.8 cSt. This UOA shows 11.6 cSt with 2.3% fuel. Gasoline has a KV100 of 0.6 cSt. Given those figures, the fuel reduced the viscosity down to 11.8 cSt. Therefore, the remaining -0.2 cSt drop is from shear. We'll assume +0.3 cSt increase for oxidative thickening to give a realistic shear of -0.5 cSt.

(12.8 - 0.5) / 12.8 = 4.0% shear

That's pretty good for such a wide multi-grade. In KRL, this oil sheared 6% though that was under a much more abusive load. Given the use of this engine, I'd say the 4.0% estimate is pretty accurate.

Overall, the report looks good. A couple of the wear metals are slightly elevated though not concerning at all. It's all within MoE of ICP. Given this is the older SN formula that contains ANs, it could also be from chelation. Same deal, nothing to worry about. The TBN is still good and oxidation is still low. The fuel concentration isn't at an alarming level, and the oil seems to be handling pretty well. I would shoot for 7,500 miles next time.

Taking a look at the Amazon Basics 0W-40, a VOA shows a KV100 of 13.7 cSt. The previous UOA shows 12.1 cSt with 2.2% fuel. Again, gasoline's KV100 is 0.6 cSt. This gives us a KV100 of 12.7 cSt after fuel is factored out giving us -0.6 cSt from shear. We'll again assume +0.3 cSt for oxidative thickening to give us a realistic shear of -0.9 cSt.

(13.7 - 0.9) / 13.7 = 6.6% shear

This is what I realistically expect with a low budget 0W-40. It's not terrible considering the fact it probably has a bigger VII load than the M1 0W-40.

My assumptions for oxidative thickening are based on a ballpark averaged trend of +0.1 cSt per 1,500 miles.

Last edited:
You don't have questions or concerns. You show no desire to move into something else.
Why does this thread exist, other than two UOAs on two SN 0w40s?

I would dump SN. HyunKia 4 cyl GDI / TGDI engines won't load-up on carbon so fast, using SP Standards Oils.
0w40 5w40 and 10w40 SPs are available, since you appear to like the thicker oils. One that you might really like is a frankenblend of 10w30 and 0w40. I used Mobil-1 Euro and Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 50/50 blend there. The longest lasting engines from Korea are the ones that kept relatively clean. Short OCIs are the best medicine for them, plus keeping the oil volume full.

I scratch my head for having so much interest in HPL and Amsoil lately. Do I really need all those nice ingredients. Most members here would also hesitate to abandon the frankenblend I just used, witnessing the visual and hearing results I've had. Yes, one can simply look into that used oil bucket and decipher if the oil is worn out, or not. Or perhaps it's me, changing oils since 1970. No usage - super smooth & quiet Hyundai engine with the Blend and now I'm venturing into something else...... really makes no sense. But I trust Amsoil and HPL to do even better. I'd be shocked if they didn't.

It would have helped and I could have gotten more specific, had the OP mentioned what engine he's dealing with. There's a difference in how to address one versus the others. I'm not sure if he's got a NU, TGDI or Smartstream.
It's one more data point? It's sparked 19 comments of discussion including someone not knowing Amazon basic made a 0W40? I didn't realize that M1 0W40 has moved away from PAO esters with their new formula? There is some fuel dilution going on as well as lube going out of viscosity? Reassurance? To correct you since this is not a GDI engine and it has PFI?

Why are you so grumpy and if you don't care about the post or you think it has no value why can't you just be an adult and skip right on by it? The best part is, you ask why this post exists and then proceed to write THREE MORE PARAGRAPHS of comments about this post...lol. Go have some coffee and settle down...

Back