mobil 1 filters. .......... grrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a QC issue, everyone has this problem;NO ONE, absolutely no one, is perfect.
A possibility exists that hundreds or thousands of filters were either made wrong or packaged incorrectly.
This is an old and popular saying (**** happens) to describe this..

Usually these errors are discovered, corrections made, but even this is 99.9999% , so some man, somewhere(one out of a million) will be nailed..
2005tundra is the unlucky man, thats all....

I'll bet the part number on the box was correct and the filter was boxed wrong. You never can tell what people will do to parts on the shelf. Who knows, maybe some mobil filters came loose fell out of the box and the parts clerk just put them back in the boxes without knowing which was the correct box.

There are metric threaded filters which fit loosely on the SAE filter mounts. SAE filters will not fit on metric mounts, well I suppose it could be forced on, strip the threads then have a wobbly fit.

Could be a counterfeit too.

I've come to the conclusion that the thread starter is a troll after reading everybody's posts.

I'm surfing this site for my first oil change (in both senses -- my first hands on oil change and my new car's first oil change) and after this "horror story", I belive Mobil 1 is the right choice for my 2006 WRX.

Thank you everybody who posted in this thread, you confirmed that Mobil 1 is the way to go for both oil and oil filter.

"I've come to the conclusion that the thread starter is a troll after reading everybody's posts. I'm surfing this site for my first oil change (in both senses -- my first hands on oil change and my new car's first oil change) and after this "horror story", I believe Mobil 1 is the right choice for my 2006 WRX."
Brett
Member # 10546

You’re a clown. I'm not a troll, and my number of visits here to this site is probably higher than you can count without help. I relayed my experience, and that is that. I continue to use mobil 1 oil, not the filters. I figure if I buy less Mobil 1 filters, that increases your odds of getting the next bad one, which is kind of nice.
IF you read all posts in a thread, as you should if you intend to learn or form an opinion and post, you would have seen me write the following in a previous post.

2005tundra2002yz250f
Member # 5579 "I didn’t think people were having a problem with the filters, and that has been confirmed here. Thanks for the help. "

Maybe you’re a troll? If not, you’re annoying. If this thread confirmed your use of mobil 1 oil as you stated, rather than reading statistical data threads, analysis threads, etc, then you are even more annoying.

I've never been a believer in seniority. Let me calculate something -- 91 posts in 13 months?

That puts you one step below me at this pace.

If you weren't sure about the jingle jangle of the M1 filter cup, you'd surely been around long enough to know that it shouldn't be sitting on your precious Tundra. Right? Even before surfing around here, with mechanical engineering background, I know that if it doesn't feel right, it ain't right at all.

I lol @ you.

It's not about seniority, it's about the posts I have put on the board over my time here. No trolling at all , for any posts.
Get a life, I'm not here to post the highest amount of messages. I read and gain info from those who have knowledge on the board. I am here all the time reading, not posting. Just an FYI, I have read your posts(yes, all of them) and you DO NOT fall into this category.
I still hope you get that bad filter. Make sure to reply to increase your post count! Reply twice saying you forgot something the first time for even more posts.

That's Ok. I knew about BITOG for a year before signing up when I had a new car on the way.

What got on my nerves is when you said you'd buy Purolator filter again even if one of their filters wobbled on like the Mobil's and that you'd never get another Mobil filter. Anyway, thanks for helping me pad my post count.

And I'll never have a bad filter put on my car since I have enough logic that if it doesn't feel right, it ain't right. I hope you don't get another wonky filter because I don't want to see this same thread again.

Sounds like a real problem to pursue with M1. If M1's response isn't ok to keep you as a customer then take your $11 somewherelse.

I'm starting with a new Ford Duratec 3.0l and have purchades the M1-210 (free with M1 purchase at pepboys) and the OEM FL-820S. So I'm interested in potential problems on both.

I'm unlikely to use the M1 filter long term as the OEM seems great but I'll decide later.

Reading the posts, perhaps the filter may have been 'severly' cross threaded and returned to the store.

I did observe the drain holes in the M1 were round holes while the FL-820S had oblong slots This would help flow if all other things held constant, which they almost certainly are not.

There had better not be any 'dual' threads.

Could it have been a simple case of the correct label being placed on the wrong filter that was then placed in the right box, at the factory? I believe the original poster when he says it was the 'right' filter (based on what he saw on the box and on the filter). I know when I worked 2 summers at an unnamed oil company (which manufactures a synthetic blend that most of us bought for $1 at Dollar Tree), that when canning motor oil there was more than one case where a few cases of oil were actually 10w-30 but were labeled 5w-30. The synchronicity of the line and of the cans wasn't quite right.

And no, none of that oil got out of the door, it was basically 'thrown away' if you know what I mean!

But if it didn't 'feel right' when putting it on, I would have taken it back.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

quote:

Paid 11 bucks for the mobil 1. Get home, change oil, about to put on filter. I look at the filter and it just looks like crap. Bad craftsmanship.

2005 Tundra,
Did you open the box when you were at AutoZone and look at the Mobil 1 filter, the way its constructed or gasket before you bought it ??
confused.gif
I always do before I buy any oil, fuel or air filter.

I my honest opinion....just spend a wopping $2.49 and buy a Purolator Premium Plus. Spending that much $$$$ on a Mobil 1 or K&N will not make your truck run any better. Lucky that your parents noticed the oil puddle.

So do I. I also look for dents in the filter. I buy AC or STP oil filters when I buy them from AZ. Whenever I go to AAP I get regular Puro or Pure1.
smile.gif

I have never had trouble with any of the M1 filters I have ever bought. I think its worth following up on. For the Katrina Blend hoopla they nolonger blend any of the questionable blends in the Katrina bottles. My many of Walmarts have since sold out and restocked with API approved bottles. I even used some of the Katrina blends when they had it out. Didn't seem any different than before. People get scared way too easy. Just like people act when here in the south they call for snow. May only call for 20% but everyone has to run out and get bread and milk and generators. Way over reacting my opionion. I have trust in Mobil 1 just like my father does and his father did many years ago. Put a little trust in the company and they will see you through.

quote:

Originally posted by 2005tundra2002yz250f:
Well, if you read my posts, all of the words, not just selective reading, you would see I still have the filter....................
WHy is it almost every reply I get it seems no one really reads what I write. I appreciate the help, but................

The problem isn't that you're a dolt or unobservant. The problem is that too many people have used Champion Labs-made oil filters with good and predictable results over long periods of time. My thinking is that your or the helpful store clerk's finger might've drifted over the applications catalog and you ended up with the wrong filter. There IS the possibility that you did get exactly the correct filter for your application but someone at the factory coming off a bender managed to put the wrong, stupid baseplate on a conveyor belt and the automated machinery blindly accepted and mounted it to the filter case and you got "lucky". "Stuff" happens. I understand your frustration at the damage that could've resulted and I can't fault you for not wanting to chance repeating that near disaster. Continue with Purolators, but try to not assume that Champion Labs and its people are idiots ('cept maybe for one - and, who knows, he could be looking to re-locate to Purolator by now...
wink.gif
)

Mobil 1 is a reputable company and so is Champion. I'm sure they both hope you return the filter. It's the only way they know what is slipping out the back door.

Some stores won't return defects because it costs them too much. But for a high dollar filter they probably would.

I'd call Mobil first and then Champion.

Let us know what you find out. Sounds like a out of square tap situation.

There's two Toyota's in my garage. Toyota filters are $4.75 @ the dealer. Why would someone pay $11.00 for an oil filter?

I had a PureOne on for a ~6,800mi OCI. When I pulled it, there was a drop of oil hanging from it, and the side of it had a fine oil coating. There was no collection or any hint of oil anywhere else. It was difficult enough to take off, so it was on pretty tight.

Never saw this happen before on this vehicle. Musta been the gasket.

Went back to Mobil 1 filter. Never liked the cheap paint job on the P1, no telling what else could've been wrong with its design and manufacture. It looked like a knockoff but it seemed to perform adequately.

I use the M1//P1 to get finer micron filtration in my turbo application.

I recently switched from my typical M1 purchase to a Wix (Napa Gold). I am really impressed with the Wix, looks just as good as the M1 for about $3-4 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back