mobil 1 filters. .......... grrrrrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background. Have owned multiple trucks over the years, all toyota except one nissan xterra(yuck).
Anyway, have about 750,000 miles under my belt, doing all my oil changes myself. Used to use FRAM filters, then moved to purolater filters about 5 years ago when I came to realize fram was junk. Never had a problem with a leaking filter, although I did have a FRAM blow out once on my pickup.
ANyway, no purolaters in autozone.......grrr.
No problem, let me get the best they have, which was a choice between Mobil1 and FRAM. Paid 11 bucks for the mobil1. Get home, change oil, about to put on filter. I look at the filter and it just looks like crap. Bad craftsmanship. Start to think I should drive the 15 miles to another store to get a Pure filter. Nah, should be fine, people use them so..........
Start to screw filter on, what a wobbly mess. The whole way on it wobbles around, start thinking how is this going to mate to the surface. Hmm, maybe cross threaded it. Try again, 5 times, same result, wobbly filter. Oh well. Seat it, seems alright, but not happy.
A day later, parents notice oil in their driveway from when I drop my son off in the morning. Uh oh. Go out to truck(Im at work) and look, yup, nice puddle. Pop the hood, filter is tight but soaked with oil. *** Mobil1 filter, you blow!!!!!!!!!!!
Instrcuted wife to go buy filter and bring to me at work, gave her the pure #. Installed new purolater, went on nice and straight, no leaks.
I hate Mobil1 now. Between this and the katrina blend oil Im thinking of no longer using Mobil1 syn either, just plain ******! I could have seized my 05 tundra due to a mobil filter.
Anyone else have an expierience like this with Mobil 1 filters? I know I used the correct filter for my app., and what are the chances the one time I buy one, I get a bad one.........
Thanks Mobil. I have a sump filled with non comliant oil, and I almost ruined my engine. Thanks a bunch. Grrrr.

No problems at all. Are you 100% sure it was the correct filter? Maybe you just got a bad one who knows? Anyhow I can't blame you for not wanting to use another one. Is that 4.7 V8? M1-102 Filter?

quote:

....non comliant oil...

? ?

Lost me here. What's this ?

As it happens, I put a Mobil-1 301 filter on my Ford yesterday. It just happened to rise to the front of the shelf; it was next to a Motorcraft. I don't regularly use them, but have used them before.

It seemed strong, well-made; screwed-on straight, tight. No problems.

I took off a Peak HardDriver filter, which I am anxious to dissect. There looked to be some metallic flakes in the bottom of the pan. h-m-m-m ...?

Is it possible that the part number on the box and the filter inside did not match?

If it wobbles going on that tells me that the threads weren't the right one for your application.

Ill anwser all in one post.
"No problems at all. Are you 100% sure it was the correct filter? Maybe you just got a bad one who knows? Anyhow I can't blame you for not wanting to use another one. Is that 4.7 V8? M1-102 Filter?"
-Yes, 4.7 and m1-102 filter.

"If it was wobbly, common sense would tell me to check it for leaks."
-I have plenty of common sense, and I did check for leaks. It didnt leak right away, took a day, and it was on tight. Thanks though....

"? ?

Lost me here. What's this ?""
-When I typed non compliant oil, I was reffering to no starburst due to katrina blend.

"Is it possible that the part number on the box and the filter inside did not match?

If it wobbles going on that tells me that the threads weren't the right one for your application"
-Nope, box matched filter. I always check in store, and also to look for crud in the filter.

I guess its just my luck. Either way, sticking with what I know and use, even if its a drive when no one around here had a real filter.
Thanks.
Joe

If a sample of one failure is enough to turn you off an otherwise excellent product you sure are going to end up with a lot of products on your "no buy" list.

Yeah, I would not over generalize about the entire company just because of one bad apple. If the filter were going on wobbly, I would have chucked it immediately (or in the case of a $11 filter, brought it back to the store).

-John

quote:

Paid 11 bucks for the mobil 1. Get home, change oil, about to put on filter. I look at the filter and it just looks like crap. Bad craftsmanship.

2005 Tundra,
Did you open the box when you were at AutoZone and look at the Mobil 1 filter, the way its constructed or gasket before you bought it ??
confused.gif
I always do before I buy any oil, fuel or air filter.

I my honest opinion....just spend a wopping $2.49 and buy a Purolator Premium Plus. Spending that much $$$$ on a Mobil 1 or K&N will not make your truck run any better. Lucky that your parents noticed the oil puddle.

Yes, I took a quick look. I never had one previous, I always used pure 1's. It appeared ok at the store. Autozone didnt have pure1's, so I got the mobil1 over a fram. I guess Ill chalk it up to a bad filter, but I will never buy a mobil1 oil filter again.
To the other replies, I always check for leaks right away. It didnt leak the day of the change, it leaked the next day. Never had this happen with my pure filters.
thanks.

sorry but it was your own stupidity. if the filter wobbled when screwing it on. should of told you that something was wrong. you should of returned the filter for another one. I used a M-1 filter in my 03 dakota 4.7 (think it was the 301) did fine and went on like all the other filters. I stopped using the M-1 filters because of price not preformance. to write off M-1 filter over 1 bad filter is crazy. after all you used fram for years and even had one blow out. but you still used fram. hate to tell you but all companies has one bad filter make it out the plant every once in awhile. it might of been a filter labled wrong on the can.

I take it when you get a bad pure one filter. you will stop using them.

so dont blame the filter. blame yourself for putting on a defective filter after the many tell tell signs you describe when putting on the filter.

2005tundra2002yz250f

Do you still have the filter in question?

If so call Champ ( the numbers in the sticky at the top of the forum) and they will send you a filter retrieval kit and you can send it back for testing. They will determine if the correct gasket or base plate/threads were used when built. You will get a full service report back.

Otherwise you're asking for opinions or educated guesses when the rest of us don't have the filter to analyze.

Reread filter guy's post. Send it to champ.

Sorry, any 'car guy' would've kept it for study by friends or forum members.

Listen everyone. Was just relaying exactly what happened, and was looking to see if anyone else had a bad expierience with mobil1 filters since this was the only one that I had ever purchased.
Yes, I will not buy any more mobil1's. To the person who stated will I stop buying purolaters if I got a bad one, the anwser would be no. I have purchased many Pure1's, with no failure. So if I got a bad one out of the hundreds I purchased, I can understand. With the mobil, I have a 100% failure rate, so I will not buy. For 11 dollars, and for something so critical to the engine, I would hope quality control would be better. Its not worth it to me to chance again, but thats just me.
I do still have the filter and box top(keep all my tops for records, gets stapled with receipt to a page in the maintence notebook with mileage, etc), and I will call. I will be curious as to what they have to say.
ANd to dark jedi, for you to say I should blame myself, not the filter, your not worth my time to explain what is wrong with your logic, but thanks anyway.

Well, if you read my posts, all of the words, not just selective reading, you would see I still have the filter....................
WHy is it almost every reply I get it seems no one really reads what I write. I appreciate the help, but................

I have used M1 filters many times on my VW GTI 1.8T. I have never experienced any leaks or "wobbling" when threading on.

Sounds like either you got a bad filter, or maybe your filter mount is damaged.
dunno.gif

Like FilterGuy said, if you want to know the real reason for the problem you experienced, you'll need to send it back to Champ & let them test it.

Email.. or better-yet call Mobil & ask for a free-of-charge filter-pickup per UPS or Fed-Ex because you suspect poor quality - have a receipt & want replacement of your filter & whatever oil you lost.

They will oblige you & maybe even double what you lost in a return shipping box.

I have repurchased products after seeing how good some customer service complaints get solved. Most recently was a jug of Hodgdon Powder when they sent me Triple Se7en blackpowder mixed with lower quality Pyrodex. They sent me two jugs in return later - with no shipping costs.

I've purchased 3-4 more since.

2005tundra2002yz250f

I think you need to chill.

You posted 2 1/2 hours after I did on the 25th and that was the first post where you stated you still had the filter. Up until then you had not mentioned it.

No sense going off on people after.

UnDummy was just..imho..reinforcing that you should send it back.

You can call Champ but tech services can't answer your questions until the fitler in question has been examined and if necessary tested.

Btw..if you don't like what you get back in the service report, they will send the filter back to you if you want someone else to test it. You have to request it otherwise they crush it 60 days later. That is mentioned at the end of the service report.

Filter Guy,

How much will Champ Labs charge to test the filter , if any ??
Will 2005Tundra have to pay to have it mailed to Champ Labs ??

offtopic.gif
I have used Mobil M1-104 on 2 different Hondas and I can honestly say.....They are very high quality filters, but a little pricy.
cool.gif

If Champ sends you a filter retrieval kit because of a consumer/customer complaint, the testing is free.

Don't know about postage but one can ask when they call. They may use a UPS call tag in which case the return is prepaid. But i've never used the retrieval so I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back