Mobil 1 extended performance vs high milage mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For what?

+1

It depends on a number of things, such as the vehicle/engine in question, vehicle condition (does it leak or burn oil?), intended OCI, etc.

If your not going to run the M1 0w-40, which had the most recommendations, then you want the 5w-30 ESP. You need more HTHS than just about any OTS Xw-30.

That's also why Redline kept coming up in your other thread. With your mods, DI, and timing chain HTHS of ~3.0 like most 5w-30's is asking for trouble down the line. Maybe Ultra could swing it, but I'd run the 10w-30 for a little better protection.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
If your not going to run the M1 0w-40, which had the most recommendations, then you want the 5w-30 ESP. You need more HTHS than just about any OTS Xw-30.

That's also why Redline kept coming up in your other thread. With your mods, DI, and timing chain HTHS of ~3.0 like most 5w-30's is asking for trouble down the line. Maybe Ultra could swing it, but I'd run the 10w-30 for a little better protection.

01.gif

-Dennis

HTHS is high temperature high shear. ESP is Mobil lingo for certain oils. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is a Euro type oil, whereas Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is a modern CJ-4 lube. ESP just stands for emissions system protection and means a little bit different for each line.

^ And Mobil1 5W-30 ESP is a Euro oil and has a higher HTHS than the regular Mobil1 5W-30.

The number on the bottle (the grade) only gives you a small picture.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/530501/1/HTHS

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1988816

Take Red Line 5W-20, for example. The HTHS is on par with many xW-30's and the kinematic viscosity at 100C is at the upper end of the 20 grade range. The operational viscosity/pressure could very well match (or possibly beat) many off the shelf 5W-30's.

This is why many performance minded folks concentrate on HTHS over the number on the bottle or the brand.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
^ And Mobil1 5W-30 ESP is a Euro oil and has a higher HTHS than the regular Mobil1 5W-30.

That tells me I spend too much time here when I state that an oil is a Euro oil and I automatically assume everyone on the planet knows that means it has a higher HTHS.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back