Mobil 1 Extended 12k interval 2005 Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrRocket
Also, Amsoil claims a better ball bearing test--maybe some marketing hype?

the ball bearing test is a wonderful test of how well the oil does on a ball bearing test machine. it bears no resemblance to any mechanism in a modern engine, nor do the results correspond reliably in any way to the oil's effectiveness in engine use.

it does, however, make a great carnival trick....

Pickled,
I wasn't calling you a pimp at all. I'm with the crowd who believes that if the Mobil 1 did a good job then he should stick with it. The pimps are the dealers who are always saying "we have a better oil and we insist that you try it instead".

I would seriously doubt that you are gonna' see an increase in mileage with amsoil. Checking one tank is almost worthless. Checking over say 1000 miles of statistically similar driving = better.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that even that won't work. If nothing else, your tires would have 1000 more miles of wear on them, which could make as much difference as the oil change, and 1000 miles is only two or three fill-ups anyway. 10k miles, same argument.

I don't think there is every a way to track one mileage variable to greater than a few percent accuracy.

My 10 percent increase in mpg continues into 30 days. It may be fewer cars on the road these days due to summer and higher gas prices. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Educate me on the advantage of 0W/5W-20 viscosity over the 0W30 I just put in? Is the 0W20 even thinner than the 30?

Why wouldn't Toyota specify the lower weight oil rather than the 5W30?

Originally Posted By: pickled
Huh...I'm the one who asked WHY he wanted to switch from M1 when it did good. That's why I was wondering if he actually did. Read the third post in the thread before you call anyone a pimp good Sir.

He stated tht since amsoil claims 35K or one year, he wants to change oil only once a year with the mileage he does, 20K+ a year.

I think M1 has lost some of its clout as being the "best" oil but agree the M1 did work great in this particular application and would continue to do well if he decided to stick with it.

There is no "best" oil, there are some great ones yes, but not all apllications will be the same and one oil wont work great in different motors.

Quote:
Educate me on the advantage of 0W/5W-20 viscosity over the 0W30 I just put in? Is the 0W20 even thinner than the 30?

Yes ..a 20 grade is thinner than a 30 grade.

A 0w-20 would reduce parasitic losses during warm up ..and (for that matter) throughout all operating temps. It means less to someone doing longer mileage since they're at "at temp" state to a much greater percentage where any of these passive differences are at their least/smallest/slightest/etc.

You could probably use a 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil for your one year OCI.

Quote:
There is no "best" oil, there are some great ones yes, but not all apllications will be the same and one oil wont work great in different motors.

Yep. Very true. All oils have to be a compromised balance to achieve certain performance goals - racing, extended drain etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back