mobil 1 european car formula - 0w40 vs 5w40?

......as for it being available online, see my response to Imp4... some people seem to think buying stuff online is the best innovation ever, but i like to go into physical stores, talk to actual other people, and pay with cash money.
So let me get this straight...
It's available online and can show up at your front door in two days.
Instead of buying it and moving on, you want to go to the store, not find it on the shelf, and then complain on the internet about it.

Do you see the irony of being unwilling to buy it online and then posting online about the product not being available?!?

So let me get this straight...
It's available online and can show up at your front door in two days.
Instead of buying it and moving on, you want to go to the store, not find it on the shelf, and then complain on the internet about it.

Do you see the irony of being unwilling to buy it online and then posting online about the product not being available?!?
i see no irony whatsoever in that, actually. if you're aware of an in-person discussion forum where people gather over a nice coffee (or beer if you'd rather) and discuss motor oils as we do here, i'd be happy to attend! however, this is the only such venue i'm aware of online or offline, and it's certainly the only one where people from all over the world can join the same conversation.

on the other hand, ordering something online means having no option to pay cash, waiting two days for my item when i could have had it in the time it takes to drive to the store, and that's not even including the massive logistical nightmare, wasted resources, increased truck traffic, etc. that underlies that oh-so-fast shipping. it's not unreasonable to want to buy a needed supply in person, the same day, without delay or fuss, and, as you put it, "move on". from my perspective, waiting for shipping is actually less convenient. when you have a project 95% completed and find out at the last minute that you were short a quart of oil or transmission fluid to finish it, the value of heading down to the local physical store and buying it cannot be overstated.

Or, you can order it online for pickup at your store.
which is absolutely no benefit if the product is not already in stock at the store, and you therefore have to wait days for it to arrive there anyway. beyond that, since when did it become the norm to provide corporations with full personally identifying information just to purchase a product from them? when i go into a store and buy oil with cash, the only information gleaned by the store is their surveillance video. when using online ordering features, you're expected to hand over your name, payment info, and therefore address as well. perhaps you don't care, and that's up to you, but i value personal privacy and not being a data mine whenever possible.

which is absolutely no benefit if the product is not already in stock at the store, and you therefore have to wait days for it to arrive there anyway. beyond that, since when did it become the norm to provide corporations with full personally identifying information just to purchase a product from them? when i go into a store and buy oil with cash, the only information gleaned by the store is their surveillance video. when using online ordering features, you're expected to hand over your name, payment info, and therefore address as well. perhaps you don't care, and that's up to you, but i value personal privacy and not being a data mine whenever possible.
Bro if you're not paying cash everywhere stores already have this information.

Bro if you're not paying cash everywhere stores already have this information.
i'm not a "bro", and it may surprise you to learn that i do in fact pay cash everywhere. it's actually quite nice, i can purchase things even when the card processing system is down for some reason or another.

You are on the internet right now. That should scare you.

You are on the internet right now. That should scare you.
gee, i hadn't noticed! i don't see how that in any way means i shouldn't aim to retain what privacy i can when conducting business in person. nor do i see how it negates the significant advantage of being able to walk into a store and buy what i need the same day that i need it, in no more time than the drive to said store and walk to the aisle where the product is stocked takes.

I found the shelf empty a couple times and waited it out until it was back in stock during one of the usual $30/4.73L sales. Like you I run it in everything, truck, car, 3 lawn mowers, snowblower.
That has been my experience here in Utah also. So I've made a practice of starting to shop for the 0W-40 well before I think my next oil change will be. I have also noticed that while one Walmart will be out of 0W-40, another will have it.

I also use M1 European 0W-40 in my car, the snow blower, and the lawn mower. My mower really seems to run quieter with it. For me, M1 European 0W40 is what 5W-30 is to most others.

Another option is Castrol Edge 5W-30LL which is still on rollback at Walmart.com for $21.62. ACEA C3 and VW 504 00 which means it is suitable for most anything on the road and an HT/HS of 3.5. I doubt it will remain at that price much longer.

gee, i hadn't noticed! i don't see how that in any way means i shouldn't aim to retain what privacy i can when conducting business in person. nor do i see how it negates the significant advantage of being able to walk into a store and buy what i need the same day that i need it, in no more time than the drive to said store and walk to the aisle where the product is stocked takes.
I prefer to buy in person too, unless I'm going to save a bunch by buying online, which never seems to be the case. When the local Canadian tire is going to sell it for half price, in person I'm going to buy it there. I try to keep enough in stock for the truck which takes 6qts because they do run out during sales but I did buy 2 gallons about a month ago.

While I agree the link above only list A3/B3 for the M1 5W40 (not the better A3/B4), I believe this is a typo, as you can't get Porsche A40 approval or MB 229.5 approval without being A3/B4 first. It's part of their requirements.
Perhaps but ACEA ratings are self-certify by the blender. M1 may simply have not bother to do it because it really doesn't matter.

Perhaps but ACEA ratings are self-certify by the blender. M1 may simply have not bother to do it because it really doesn't matter.
i don't think that's likely, particularly given that the 0w40 does list acea a3/b4. presently unexplained though it may be, i suspect there is some reason the 0w40 lists that spec but the 5w40 does not. i certainly would love to know what that reason is!

Back