Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_0W-40.aspx

New PDS on the Mobil 1 site dated January 2016

Originally Posted By: Mobil

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is recommended for all types of modern automobile engines, especially the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines found in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ approval, which is required for all 2010 new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2™ specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2™ lubricants.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often may not perform

It is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA C3
API SM
Fiat 9.55535-S2

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:
BMW Longlife 04
MB-Approval 229.31
MB-Approval 229.51
Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 502 00/505 00
General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ (license number GB1A0917015)

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is suitable for applications requiring:
API CF
Opel GM-LL-A-025 / GM-LL-B-025

Typical Properties
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 73
cSt @ 100ºC 13.2
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.8
Phosphorous 0.08
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 234
Density @ 15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.845
Total Base Number (TBN) ASTM D 2896 7.8
MRV at -30ºC 26400
Viscosity Index 176
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.76

Imperial Oil doesn't show it yet. What are the bets as to how long it'll take until we'll see it up here? In any case, I hope it's soon, as the only dexos2 oil I've seen outside a dealership is Castrol.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Glad to see this oil in the US finally. It's been on the UK and GE Mobil sites for a while.

Still not on the ESP oils page though.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

If I were a betting man, I would wager that the appearance of this product (and it is LL-04) and the disappearance of the PDS for M1 0w-40 are not a coincidence and they are shuffling some things around.

We will likely see a new version of M1 0w-40 shortly.

Just switch everything to Delvac 1 and you'll be fine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Just switch everything to Delvac 1 and you'll be fine.
wink.gif

I just wish it was not so expensive here in the US, but I think low distribution is part of the problem (e.g. no mainstream stores sell it). I did manage to grab quite a bit from a PepBoys black Friday sale where they gave a 35% discount and free shipping.

We're nuts in Canada. Its low distribution is part of the solution.
wink.gif
Anything not readily available at Canadian Tire and Walmart stands a very good chance at being a good deal.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Anywhere else in the us? This would be perfect for my new Passat

This is "new" this side of the pond, the product isn't even on the Mobil 1 website. I'm guessing we'll see it appear on there shortly and then it will begin showing up in stores.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
OK guys, this is for me FANTASTIC news!
Any infö where to find it?

Just curious, why is it so fantastic? Not saying it isn't, I'm really curious. I am having trouble understanding how this is different than the "regular" 0W-40 and which would be used when. They both seem to carry a lot of the same approvals unless I'm crazy.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

Just curious, why is it so fantastic?

Lower SAPS could potentially mean less carbon deposits in DI engines, at least if you trust the findings of companies such as Lubrizol. Some others question this relationship.

And despite being lower SAPS, this M1 0w-40 ESP oil still has high enough TBN that would allow you to run longer OCIs, under most circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just curious, why is it so fantastic?

Lower SAPS could potentially mean less carbon deposits in DI engines, at least if you trust the findings of companies such as Lubrizol. Some others question this relationship.

And despite being lower SAPS, this M1 0w-40 ESP oil still has high enough TBN that would allow you to run longer OCIs, under most circumstances.

Bingo...interestingly enough, my local Napa stores are showing inventory unavailable on M1 0w40.

Just curious, why is it so fantastic? Not saying it isn't, I'm really curious. I am having trouble understanding how this is different than the "regular" 0W-40 and which would be used when. They both seem to carry a lot of the same approvals unless I'm crazy.

robert

Several reasons:
1. It is 0W, and in my vocabulary, the lower the first number less wear, since majority of wear happens during cold start.
2. I very often have to start car on extreme temperatures (ski twice a Week) so 0W as I said will come handy.
3. It is ESP version of one of the best all around oils, so great, I need BMW LL-04 in my BMW and my DI Tiguan could use some lower SAPS.
4. I like to drive hard, and call em traditionalist, but like strong HTHS in the engine. I think oil that I use now in BMW is very, very good, this one will be even better!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Glad to see this oil in the US finally. It's been on the UK and GE Mobil sites for a while.

If I were a betting man, I would wager that the appearance of this product (and it is LL-04) and the disappearance of the PDS for M1 0w-40 are not a coincidence and they are shuffling some things around.

I agree. It is likely we will see a new 0w40 with a lower SA.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I agree. It is likely we will see a new 0w40 with a lower SA.

It's like kids waiting for Santa to fill their stockings.

On an somewhat related note... has anyone found Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40 (the MB 229.3/229.5 product) for sale still? It's no longer available on Amazon... same that happened to Mobil 1 ESP 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back