OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 5W/30 EP
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

SAMPLE DATE = 03/21/07
MI/HR ON OIL = 7,527
MI/HR ON UNIT = 9,055
---------------------------------------

Blackstone's comments:

"Let your engine get completely past wear-in before you get too crazy with the oil use intervals. Our average oil from this type engine has 3,280 miles on it, but it is a new averaged file, so the miles will creep higher in time, and so probably will the wear levels. Iron will tend to run high when you run longer than average oil use runs. No problem with this, unless it makes the oil abrasive enough that it starts getting into the bearings, which will cause increasing lead. So far, so good on the lead. Stay at 7,500 miles next sample for another look. The TBN was 3.2, still okay."

----------------------------------------
Oil Report

Sample: Unit Location Averages: Universal Averages

ALUMINUM = 5, 5, 4
CHROMIUM = 1, 1, 0
IRON = 26, 26, 12
COPPER = 5, 5, 3
LEAD = 1, 1, 1
TIN = 1, 1, 1
MOLYBDENUM = 69, 69, 53
NICKEL = 1, 1, 0
MANGANESE = 3, 3, 1
SILVER = 0, 0, 0
TITANIUM = 0, 0, 0
POTASSIUM = 1, 1, 1
BORON = 59, 59, 41
SILICON = 16, 16, 8
SODIUM = 7, 7, 12
CALCIUM = 2269, 2269, 1995
MAGNESIUM = 12, 12, 183
PHOSPHORUS = 592, 592, 707
ZINC = 658, 658, 821
BARIUM = 0, 0, 0

SUS Viscosity@210 degrees F
Values Should Be: 56-63
Tested Values Were = 56.4

Flash Point In degrees F
Values Should Be: >365
Tested Values Were: 375

Fuel %
Values Should Be: Tested Values Were:
Antifreeze %
Values Should Be: 0
Tested Values Were: 0

Water %
Values Should Be: 0.0
Tested Values Were: 0.0

Insolubles %
Values Should Be: Tested Values Were: 0.3
---------------------------End of Report------------------

Not too bad. The silicon is a little high, which might contribute to a higher iron count. You might want to cut your OCI down a little until you get a few more miles on the engine.

patriot.gif

I wonder if half of the iron is from Mobil 1.
grin.gif
because this engine wear metals are typically in the single digits.

Thanks for the comments, folks. Just over a year ago, I had an 03 Saturn Vue and its first and second UOA had similar elevated silicon readings. At that time Blackstone's comments stated that the higher than normal silicon readings were probably due to detecting the silicon sealants used during engine assembly. As you can see, they didn't make that comment this time though. That 03 VUE also had the same 4 cyl, 2.2L engine and eventually settled down to normal universal averages at about the 3rd for 4th OCI.

However, the "high" iron readings of this sample are a little alarming, but as Blackstone said, lead was OK, so bearing wear shouldn't have been a problem.

I too wondered about if Mobil 1 could have contributed to the iron readings since I did see the post about Mobil 1 showing iron readings on VOAs some time ago. I have to assume that Blackstone was not too alarmed about the OCI, since they advised me not to exceed the 7.5K miles for the next OCI.
smile.gif

I would do 2 intervals at 5k, using any synthetic you choose and get another UOA on the second interval, I think your numbers will be fine then. What does Saturn recommend for its oci and what kind of driving do you do? How long was the oil in service (how many months)?

Dennis

Did you/someone 'total' the other Saturn you owned? Or perhaps it was stolen?

Just curious... only because I certainly wouldn't go thru the expense of getting UOAs done - plus use a synthetic - if I sold my vehicles/traded them in at the age of three.

dcoyne78:

Saturn Corporation has no recommended OCI. Instead, they recommend using the GM-OLM or a one year OCI if the OLM has not come on. Saturn retailers often tell you to change the oil at 3K miles. The vehicle is driven usually on short trips, often no more than 5 miles or less. There were two long trips of about 800 miles round trip about 6 months ago. The oil was in use for about 9 1/2 months before the OLM came on.

Triple Se7en:

Well, the other Saturn VUE's VTi transmission self-destructed at 20K miles, under warranty, but no longer trusting that type of transmission (a belted continuously variable ratio configeration), we traded it on the spot for an 06 VUE with GM's tried and true Hydromatic. As you may know, Saturn only used the VTi for, I think, two model years. A really great driver, but not very reliable. The UAOs that I've done mostly were for my own "need to know" curiosity. I also have an 04 Saturn ION and do UOA's on it for the same reason.

Based on the kind of driving you do, I would stick with synthetic oil. You might want to go with 5K/6 months for a couple of years if you plan on keeping the car for a while and maybe do a UOA once per year. As it breaks in your wear numbers will get better and you can extend the oci if you choose out to 10k/1 year.

What was the OLM reading?

Wear looks high but engine is breaking in. Should only get better with each OCI.

What oil filter?

unDummy:

The OLM went off at 9,047 miles. There is no direct read out, like a percent remaining, etc., in this model. Oil filter was OEM Saturn Brand cartridge type. Made by Hengst in Germany.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back