Mobil 1 does contain Group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

Have I told anyone lately how much I like the Mobil Supersyn 0w-40
wink.gif

That oil is one of the front runners in my "backup list" should GC disappear. Actually I'm in big trouble if GC disappears because I'd also like to try something from Amsoil (perhaps their new 5w40), or Rotella 0w40, or Redline or Delvac 1, or Royal Purple Racing 41, or.... Too many good oils, too little time.
grin.gif

Mobil 1 0w-40 has a much higher flash point then their other oils as Motorbike has mentioned. Patman, their 0w-40 I think is a great choice for performance cars such as the C5. That independent test of various oils was very impressed with it. Produced a lot of HP and was very shear stable compared to Torco and other brands using a wide viscosity range. That oil hovers around the 11.5 cSt to 15 cSt during it's life span which isn't as bad as many make it out to be. It's % change, not grade change that matters. If Mobil 1 at 10cSt thickened to 12cSt it's the same thing.

BTW, Mobil 1 doesn't contain any GRP III. You can be sure of this.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
That oil is one of the front runners in my "backup list" should GC disappear. Actually I'm in big trouble if GC disappears

Patman, do you think there's any chance that Castrol USA will import Castrol Formula R / RS 0w40 ? I spent some time reading the German Castrol site last night (via babelfish), and from what I can gather SLX has indeed been discontinued. The RS 0w40 seems to be its replacement, with somewhat similar specs.

[ March 22, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Losiho ]

...look, Primus showed us for the first time where the Japanese website stated the 10w-30 PDS stated it had a little grp III. After speaking with several people and talking to Mobil, there is NO grp III in it. I'm confindent in this.

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
If Mobil 1 is so great, why do I get better wear numbers running Chevron Supreme?

Wayne

One reason is you have evidently had a problem engine from near day one .... no telling how long you had anti-freeze seepage in your motor and even after repaired multiple times it takes awhile for the engine wear metals to stabilize again or if stabilize is not the correct term I use normalize
smile.gif
for whatever it's worth with that YMM truck .

Cannot blame the engine oil on motor problems caused from glycol
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
...look, Primus showed us for the first time where the Japanese website stated the 10w-30 PDS stated it had a little grp III. After speaking with several people and talking to Mobil, there is NO grp III in it. I'm confindent in this.

Why has you clung to this grp.III ?
dunno.gif
May be my intention was to make you envy the nice cans, though, if opened, smelling of PAO only instead of gummy bear
lol.gif

Primus, I'm glad you posted it.
smile.gif
You have to stay on top of these guys as formulations are changing all the time, whether it's Amsoil/RL/M1. And when your obsessed with it, YOU HAVE TO KNOW.
shocked.gif
cheers.gif
I liked those cans by the way.

[ March 22, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
[Patman, do you think there's any chance that Castrol USA will import Castrol Formula R / RS 0w40 ? I spent some time reading the German Castrol site last night (via babelfish), and from what I can gather SLX has indeed been discontinued.

Now I see where Pscholte has dissappeared:
burnout.gif
he is making a century safety stock to be the only owner of lovely stuff.
grin.gif

I dont believe it. Honestly, I have emailed them in the past, and they said their oils are group 4 with some group 5 mixed in.

I don't either. Mike from Mobil tech is looking into it. I'm fairly certain from what Mobil told me, and Molekule, that Mobil 1 uses NO grp III. Realize that the only reference to it was in the 10w-30 grade. All the others are PAOs. When I get a response I'll post it.

Pablo/Patman, I disagree. A PAO synthetic is superior to a grp III regardless of what they tell you. For longer drains, which we have not seen from GC, PAOs are superior. GC is likely a PAO but it is uncertain. This and the fact that Mobil is very specific about what is an actual synthetic is, the should be using PAOs. They took Castrol to court over this and you have to watch sometimes as companies will try and fool the public like Castrol is and has been doing for years with over priced Syntec.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I thought that's where the old Tri-Synthetic label came from. GrpIII + PAO + esters...
confused.gif

Tri-Syn was PAO + esters + alkylated aromatics. The old Mobil 1 web site (unlike the new one) explained the components of Mobil 1 quite well.

No problem, I just couldn't remember.

As a lot of others have said, as long as the oil is working I don't see a problem either way. A lot of people here are using GC with good results and all we have is speculation about it's makeup.

Buster, I think Mobil may be stretching the use of the word synthentic these days to include some GrpIII. I'm sure I read somewhere that their "synthetic" gear lubes are group III...

[ March 22, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:

quote:

That oil is one of the front runners in my "backup list" should GC disappear. Actually I'm in big trouble if GC disappears

Patman, do you think there's any chance that Castrol USA will import Castrol Formula R / RS 0w40 ? I spent some time reading the German Castrol site last night (via babelfish), and from what I can gather SLX has indeed been discontinued. The RS 0w40 seems to be its replacement, with somewhat similar specs.

It sure would be nice if they'd bring it here, but I doubt they would. We don't even get M1 0w40 in Walmart here, there is only one little shop in Toronto which sells it. 0w40 just isn't a popular viscosity here for some reason.

Losiho and Patman, BMW Canada is using Castrol Formula RS 0W-40 to service some of their newer vehicles. Several months ago I called the two BMW dealers in the Las Vegas area and both dealers had never heard of Castrol Formula RS 0W-40 synthetic oil so as far as I know it is not being used in the USA.

[ March 23, 2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Odd to find out that the US version is PAO/ester while the European version uses some group 3. You'd expect it to be the other way around.

Don't overlook the possibility that ExxonMobil's allegedly introducing Group-III base stock into the European Mobil I formulation might be a prelude to what eventually ends up in North America. I've said it before, but it bears repeating - Group-IV is both an energy and a resource hog to manufacture and is in limited supply due to manufacturing constraints, and the situation can only get worse as more auto manufacturers call for "synthetic" motor oils. Wouldn't it be a hoot if ExxonMobil's product planners breathed a heavy sigh of relief that they "lost" the NAD arbitration because it left 'em with an eventual way out of the PAO supply conundrum while leaving them on the high "moral ground" of being the primary name associated with "real" synthetic motor oils for the immediate term... Lost on too many forumners here is that Castrol buys their lube base stocks (or at least did so until their acquisition by BP), while ExxonMobil was also an early Group-III developer and has a profitable sideline selling turn-key hydroisomerization production technology to other refiners to build or convert existing facilities to Group-II and Group-III production.

[ March 23, 2004, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back