Mobil 1 Custom Blend 0w30 - 4,000 mi, 2014 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle:
2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Touring w/ tech package & 6 speed manual tranny.

Engine:
2.0L Skyactiv DI 4 banger.

Engine oil capacity:
4.5qts

Oil type:
Mobil 1 0w40 + M1 0w20 EP @ 50/50 ratio to achieve 0w30

Oil additives:
None

Gas Additives:
Redline's Fuel System Cleaner in small maintenance doses every few tank fulls (just for the heck of it)

Make up oil added:
None
laugh.gif

Oil filter:
Mazda OEM made by Toyo Roki in Japan
thumbsup2.gif

Air filter:
OEM Mazda filter

Use:
Plenty of long highway trips (400+ miles non stop) to rack up miles quickly but lots of short city sprints and ALWAYS driven aggressively, redlining CONSTANTLY.

I'm glad that the viscosity held up well and the TBN sure surprised the heck out of me! M1 0w40 & M1 0w20 EP seems like a strong mix.

I refilled with Mazda's 0w20 with Moly for comparison purposes. I plan to run that for a few oil changes to see how it holds up. It definitely costs more per oil change vs M1 from Walmart...

Mobil1Custom0w30-4000miles_zps756be6a0.png

Code:

OIL Mobil 1 SN formula 0w30

MILES IN USE 4,000 miles

MILES on unit 12,000

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/12/2014

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 3 5

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 9 10

COPPER 5 6

LEAD 0 0

TIN 1 1

MOLYBDENUM 77 184

NICKEL 1 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 1

POTASSIUM 0 2

BORON 107 87

SILICON 7 14

SODIUM 3 25

CALCIUM 1916 2073

MAGNESIUM 402 280

PHOSPHORUS 712 683

ZINC 826 778

BARIUM 0 1

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.8 54-67

cSt @ 212ºF 9.01 8.5-12.4

FLASHPOINT ºF 410 >385

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES TR
TBN 7.0 >1.0

I agree. I'm not looking to extend the intervals just yet. The engine is still breaking in and I'm just experimenting with different lubes because I'm bored. I'll run it 10k eventually...

What oil was used before? I mean UOA of 06/25 and 02/23?
Also I don't see the reason of mixing oil. Just curious, why?

The previous two UOA were of Mobil 1's 0w30 AFE. It's designed for fuel economy, so I imagine that it's thinner, that's why I blended my own 0w30 in hopes of making a strong blend. Seems to work out just fine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
The previous two UOA were of Mobil 1's 0w30 AFE.

This is weird.
Take a look on Ca content of previous UOA. It is different as night and day.
One more question: did you blend 0W40 and 0W20 as 50x50?

Last edited:
Mazda's factory fill was dumped at 1,000 and Mobil 1 0w30 went in, so the first UOA shows some leftovers of the FF. The second fill of 0w30 should be a better concentration of only 0w30 AFE.

The third fill is 50/50 mix of M1 0w40 & 0w20 EP so of course the results are different plus there's a bit of regular 0w30 AFE in there.

I know its best to run the same oil for a few oil changes to stabilize the results but I'm not looking for long term data, I am simply trying out different oils to see how they hold up with the DI engine and abusive driving style.

Artem are you nearing to change out your oil? Your blend caught my eye and I was thinking in addition what would a can of ceretec or mos2 with your combo would show.

[censored] I might try that combo and get a UOA.

Well I refilled with Mazda's 0w20 instead of the Caterham inspired blend, to compare how the moly rich 0w20 will compare. It might be a while until I rack up the miles because the car has been sitting in the garage lately while I'm on the road truck driving.

The previous two UOA were of Mobil 1's 0w30 AFE. It's designed for fuel economy, so I imagine that it's thinner, that's why I blended my own 0w30 in hopes of making a strong blend. Seems to work out just fine.

Yes, plus it looks like all of your fills did shear down a bit and the Mobil 1 0w-40 does fight that some, so I applaud that decision. Especially that you "redline CONSTANTLY"

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
I question the
It will be interesting to see how the Mazda 0w20 holds up.

I know it's a DI engine but there are other reasons for the oil to lose some viscosity other then fuel dilution.

I know many of here don't believe that your average econo car can beat up oil this bad with street use, but I'm telling you that it's possible, if the driving style is harsh enough. This engine can easily get redlined 50-100x PLUS each day during my "regular" cruises around town. I drive it like a stolen rental car!

I'm also interested how the 0w20 will hold up to the task, so it will be interesting. With winter around the corner, I prefer the thinner oil anyway.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Yes, plus it looks like all of your fills did shear down a bit and the Mobil 1 0w-40 does fight that some, so I applaud that decision. Especially that you "redline CONSTANTLY"

thumbsup2.gif

I agree. I even feel like doing the same blend for the Avalon in time for winter, which specs 5w30. Might as well have it run on a strong 0w30 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back