Mobil 1 blending recommendations

That’s why approvals and licenses are important. It’s unnecessary to guess and be unsure.

But having said that no ACEA or API oil will be unsafe due to chemical composition. Imagine the lawsuits if that was ever true.
I called a Mobil 1 rep a few months back and he wouldn’t recommend anything ither than 5w30 and said other mobil 1 oils mixed together could cause separation

Reading the back of the bottle will tell you if the oil is compatible with your vehicle. Since API SP is backwards compatible to at least SJ (2000 or 2001), you should have no worries using those or anything in-between (SL, SM, SN, SN+).
Thanks 👍🏻

Are you saying a tired oil pump (aka one with more internal clearance from wear) Is not going to be better protected by a higher HTHS oil? I was under the impression that higher HTHS correlated to the oil being able to maintain a physically thicker oil film. I'll admit that I've never done any science on the loads on oil pump gears, but it would seem to me that larger clearances would benefit from heavier oil (which you also suggest).
Maybe something with a thicker or stronger film strength

How would you know that for a motor oil?
I wouldn’t without any access to data sheets, thats why I called a Mobil rep to try to get some information from them, but they really wouldn’t do much mote than tell me to use what GM recommended

I wouldn’t without any access to data sheets, thats why I called a Mobil rep to try to get some information from them, but they really wouldn’t do much mote than tell me to use what GM recommended
One problem with that request is because there is no ASTM test for film strength that's applicable to motor oil. It may be done for screening of raw materials but not for the finished product.

They are all excellent oils. If you don't need 0w or 5w for cold starts, then the M1 HM 10w-30 is an excellent choice. It is just a hair thinner than the M1 FS 0w-40 at temp.

I don't know if I would run extended OCI on a motor with that many miles.
So running the 5w40 European would be fine ?

I called a Mobil 1 rep a few months back and he wouldn’t recommend anything ither than 5w30 and said other mobil 1 oils mixed together could cause separation
That person had no idea what he or she was talking about and you received incorrect information. All their products pass ASTM D6922 as part of the certification and licensing process. This guarantees they are miscible and will not separate when mixed.

That person had no idea what he or she was talking about and you received incorrect information. All their products pass ASTM D6922 as part of the certification and licensing process. This guarantees they are miscible and will not separate when mixed.
What a relief, thanks

Are you saying a tired oil pump (aka one with more internal clearance from wear) Is not going to be better protected by a higher HTHS oil? I was under the impression that higher HTHS correlated to the oil being able to maintain a physically thicker oil film. I'll admit that I've never done any science on the loads on oil pump gears, but it would seem to me that larger clearances would benefit from heavier oil (which you also suggest).

If the bearings are a bit worn it might benefit from a slightly heavier (high mileage) oil. The oil pump, being a gear pump, isn't going to benefit. The protection comes from the AW additives in the oil primarily, as we are talking about meshing gear teeth, not bearings.

The pump may also not be worn, it could have a leaking pickup assembly, which I know was common with some of the LSx family engines, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know which ones. I believe an o-ring that seals the pickup assembly to the pump gets hard.

If the bearings are a bit worn it might benefit from a slightly heavier (high mileage) oil. The oil pump, being a gear pump, isn't going to benefit. The protection comes from the AW additives in the oil primarily, as we are talking about meshing gear teeth, not bearings.

The pump may also not be worn, it could have a leaking pickup assembly, which I know was common with some of the LSx family engines, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know which ones. I believe an o-ring that seals the pickup assembly to the pump gets hard.
Changing the pickup assembly can’t be a simple task without pulling the engine

Changing the pickup assembly can’t be a simple task without pulling the engine

Yes, I think that's the issue. It's particularly bad on 4WD apps IIRC. I believe on 2WD ones, you can just unbolt the motor mounts and jack it up a bit to get enough clearance, but I may be wrong.

I did my oil change yesterday evening with the Mobil1 5w40 European x2 and what a difference, first morning cold start had the normal skirtless piston ticking for short period, several restarts during the day today without one single tick or knock . Hot idle is about 5psi higher

Back