Mobil-1 answers to Amsoil? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use and have used Mobil-1; it is a modern & quality synthetic oil...but many that use it seem to be a bit arrogant (not all of course).

I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND OUT IF dino OR synthetic is better for a HM American V8 driven a 3000 miles per year tops and sometimes is started without getting up to temp???

In my research, I have confirmed that dino abosorbs moisture more than synthetic, but there are conflicting reports as to whether it is better to use the dino for storage or better to use the synthetic??? Why or why not would you prefer an oil mix with water or seperate from water?

ANYWAY, back to my post...In my research on the above topic, I came across this page on their website and some of the answers are rediculous...You can maybe find some of them yourself, but here is one tidbit...what is a consumer supposed to believe, if they won't answer a claim, then I must assume they are avoiding it even though I have used their oil for many years.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Answering_Amsoil_Claims.aspx

Mobil recommends 0w-20 for a Subaru Forester that's still under warranty? (quoted for posterity, since they are sure to delete this one soon)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Improving_Gas_Mileage.aspx

"
Question:
Oil for Improving Gas Mileage
I am a 57 year old female so cars and oils are not my area of expertise. I just purchased a 2006 Subaru Forester with 55,000 miles. I asked my mechanic if there was anyway to improve my MPG. He said other than tire pressure, the only thing he could suggest was synthetic oil. He said he wouldn't have suggested it in the past because of the price, but now with the cost of gas, it may be a reasonable option. So, I Googled it and found your site with everyone's questions. So here's mine. Because you have so many options, I don't know which one to chose: regular Mobil 1, Extended Performance, Clean 5000... I drive mostly short distances, maybe 8000 miles per year. I live in New York. Do I need different oil in the summer from that used in the winter? If so, the Extended Performance would certainly be out of the running. Do I need to change the oil early after the first use because of clogging? Any suggestions?
-- Lonnie Moore, Oswego, NY
Answer:
If you are looking for help with fuel economy we recommend Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. This is the Mobil 1 product that will give you the most fuel economy benefits. If the car has been taken care of and has had its oil changed regularly, there is no reason to change the oil early on the first change to the new oil. If less diligence has been given to servicing the vehicle then we would recommend shorter oil changes initially. We know it gets cold in Oswego. This product is going to give outstanding low temperature starting and excellent high temperature performance as well. You can use this high performance synthetic oil all year long."

Actually, that may be the most straight forward answer I ever saw from Mobil. Nothing wrong with that reply IMO( as long as your vehicle was spec'd for 20wt oil and not 30wt ). Why would they remove it?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Subaru specs 5w-30, but now I know Mobil endorses 0w-20, and if damage occurs, they will warranty my engine.

LOL....You're kidding right?
cheers3.gif

Actually you have a great idea and do something along the lines of what I do. I save all those little tid-bits when I email a company a question about a product for one of my fleet. If a company suggests the wrong product and I have a problem I have proof in writing. It will probably cost a ton of $$ and a lot of time, but it's better than nothing. It's actually a good thing to do.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Subaru specs 5w-30, but now I know Mobil endorses 0w-20, and if damage occurs, they will warranty my engine.

Only if the cause is the motor oil.

Outside of the most severe conditions, it is unlikely that a 0W-20 synthetic would woof a passenger car engine where the manufacturer recommended 5W-30.

Quote:
Rebut Amsoil's Wear Scar Testing
Being a customer of Mobil 1 since the mid-1970s, I have noticed a number of websites that assert Amsoil is better, such as the following: "20W-50 Mobil 1 Supersyn leaves a wear scar over 5 times that of the AMSOIL (0.454 mm for AMSOIL vs. 2.026 mm for Mobil 1)!... The Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W-30 leaves a wear scar 5 times that of the AMSOIL 0W-30 (0.374 for AMSOIL & 1.842 for Mobil-1)! Same thing goes for... Mobil 1 5W-30 at 0.667 mm Mobil 1 Supersyn 0W-30 allows for a 1.842 mm wear scar compared to the AMSOIL Series 0W-30 Severe Service which only allows for a 0.374 mm wear scar. That means, Mobil 1 0W-30 allows for 5 times the wear that AMSOIL 0W-30 does!" Although I would never run any oil as long as they do in some of these tests at 25,000 to 35,000 miles, I wonder if at shorter change intervals there would also be similar margins. Please put my mind at ease with verifiable, independent data that I am, in fact, doing the best I can by remaining a Mobil 1 customer.
-- Mike Jansen, Lakeway, TX

Answer:
See the answer on oil film strength. Look beyond bench tests and look to the real world where Mobil 1 is recommended by OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) worldwide as original equipment in their vehicles.

Quote:
Response to Amsoil Competitive Claims
What is your position/response to the 4 ball wear test Amsoil states on their website? Do you agree with the test results or are there other test results you could point me to. Thanks
-- Todd Blake, Andover, MN

Answer:
The 4-ball wear test is a test designed to evaluate the performance of a gear oil. The 4-ball wear test is not included as a part of any industry-wide recognized engine oil specifications (e.g. ILSAC GF-4, API SM, or ACEA specifications). ExxonMobil does not regard this test as a useful indicator of engine oil performance.

My UOA's and Dyson analysis say otherwise... I will continue to use Amsoil. I personally have had better results with Amsoil than Mobil-1 from what I can tell. Only time will be the ultimate judge, and AGAIN I SAY MOBIL-1 IS A GOOD OIL THAT I WOULD USE WITHOUT HESITATION.

Well, Mobil claims the 4-ball wear test is for gear oils which is true BUT there is a 4ball wear test that is for motor oils. So I don't fully agree with them here.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
for a HM American V8 driven a 3000 miles per year tops and sometimes is started without getting up to temp?

i would run syn and change it once a year

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My engine has balls as in performance, but doesn't have 4 balls wearing at the oil so I guess only time will tell!
LOL.gif

My engine lacks balls and performance.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back