Mobil 1 5w50 API SJ/CF

Hi Folks!

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia with typically hot weather. If you don't know Indonesia, I bet you all know what Bali is.

Yesterday I did a regular change of my car on the oil store nearby and I found on the shelf, some old Mobil 1 5w50 SJ/CF. Does anyone know what year is it produced? And the difference between this and the newer API SN/CF?

Definitely an old school oil. Looking at the label it's from before the Exxon/Mobil merger. I'd keep also as kind've a collector's item. My 300ZX spec'd SJ oil and it's a 96.

I would worry that it's an old container filled with counterfeit product.

I'm not sure if it's counterfeit product or not. The store has been there for a long time and a good store. But mostly the people go there to buy the oil from the drum container because they are cheaper. But yes, Mobil 1 has so many counterfeit product in my country.

I would shake it up and use it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask some another opinion from another member of the local oil forum in my area.

Wow that is too old

I bet it is.

I’d buy it as a collectors item!

Do people collect any expired oil product? Interesting

Definitely an old school oil. Looking at the label it's from before the Exxon/Mobil merger. I'd keep also as kind've a collector's item. My 300ZX spec'd SJ oil and it's a 96.

Interesting! I just knew that there are people who actually collect any expired oil.

Screenshot_2020-08-30-17-09-00.png

Modern version of the Rally Formula goes in the Lexus LFA.

Which means it's expired?
Mobil 1 says on their site FAQ their oils should be used within 5 years, its another conversation all together if the oil is actually expired or not usable, or just slightly not as potent as its original form.

around 2000

see:

Back