Mobil 1 5w40 ---- Silverado 1500HD Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
OilSample-1.jpg

That looks preety good especialy for a GM V8!!! I would stick with what you are doing and see what you see! Looks Good!!!!

Any reason why you are using a 40wt up in the artic cold? I know gm specs a 5w30 in these motors, maybe that would help with your cold start knock. What year truck and motor? I know these trucks sound like they have a bad piston slap problem from the factory.

Maybe he's experiencing better numbers because he IS using a 40wt??

Don't know about your particular engine, but I always ran 40wts in my Chevy's due to the heavy towing required of them.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
Any reason why you are using a 40wt up in the artic cold? I know gm specs a 5w30 in these motors, maybe that would help with your cold start knock. What year truck and motor? I know these trucks sound like they have a bad piston slap problem from the factory.

According to GM these engines have never had a problem of any kind.

i didnt pay attention when i got the oil and it ended up being 5-40 , so i ran it anyway... and that just happened to be the sample i took lol. And yes, i do frequent heavy towing also and it tends to use a bit of oil. 2001 6.0L ...with knock, go figure

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson

According to GM these engines have never had a problem of any kind.

That is [censored]...check any GM truck forum out there...the cold start piston knock is a BIG problem with these trucks! GM says it is normal & causing no harm. That is maybe the reason they say they do not have a problem.

Mine is a 2002 Silvy with a 4.8 & I have the slap also!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back