Mobil 1 5W30 High Milage 96 Silverado 4,969 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here goes! My truck has been great and I just wanted to give it a check. On this oci, i did a lot of four wheeling in the mountians on unmaintained dirt roads for hunting season, a trip to ohio and back with a 5000lb boat. (little over 500 miles)I need to see what is leaking, because it leaks a little under a quart every 1000 miles. I suspect the valve covers, but I have not had the time to get in there and find out yet. Either way, it seems to be doing well.

Mobil 1 5w-30 High milage with P1 filter.

oilreport.jpg

I agree it does not help with detecting wear, but coolant is what I was looking for. These trucks had a problem with that and was the only reason I had one done. This truck always had good reports even without make up oil when it was newer, so I have no reason to expect this has changed. I will post another when I have the motor sealed back up to see.

Does support the notion that if your engine regularly uses oild, you don't need to change teh oil, just the filter.

I agree, it makes the UOA seem too good when that much oil is added. And how much before the sample was taken was the last QT added?

Blackstone's usual useless comments. Why don't they skip the comments and provide a TBN?

Originally Posted By: Burt
Does support the notion that if your engine regularly uses oild, you don't need to change teh oil, just the filter.
Yup. I got chastised for the mere mention of that but whatever. Thick skin.
The good news is that chevy is still strong and isn't halfway thru its service life yet

So, it took 9 quarts of $$$ syn oil to get you to 5k....that's a lot of $$$ for the interval.

Buy the cheapest, I mean cheapest 5W-30/10W-30 oil you can if it goes throught THIS much. As others have said, just not changing the oil is an option here.....

Is the use from something leaking or does your engine actually use that much oil? Could just be that it's too thin for the use of what it was seeing.

Our old chevy truck called for 10w-30, we had to run 40wt in it in the summer however, as it pulled a heavy boat and camper and did so much better on the 40wt; 30wt would get too thin.

I have a 3.2L V6 engine with 204k miles, pulls a 4,200lb boat and only uses 1/8th of a quart of oil in 4k miles, but I use a synthetic blend 5w-30....perhaps you need a different oil and viscosity.

Last edited:
The truck just recently started it's oil leaking nonsense. It never used oil before, but now is leaving oil in the driveway. At first, I expected the rear main seal. Now I believe it is coming from one of the valve covers. Its hard to tell because the whole back of the engine is oily, but I will get to the bottom of it. I have a Felpro gasket set in hand and will be digging in to it tomorrow. Other than this progressing leak, it has been doing well. Hopefully things will be back to normal once it is sealed up. I thank you for your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back