Mobil 1 5w30 5,000 mi Ls2 GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results of my first oil analysis. I stumbled across this board and was hooked. My GTO has 23k miles, I have used Mobil 1 5w30 for all previous oil changes, Stock Air filter, Purolator Pure 1 oil filter. I am giving Gold German Castrol a try for my latest oil change and will run an analysis in 5k miles to compair with the Mobil 1 results. Any feedback reguarding my results would be appreciated!

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 26
COPPER 83
LEAD 6
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 80
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 48
SILICON 11
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2328
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 601
ZINC 722
BARIUM 0
SUS Viscosity 62.1
Flashpoint 405
Fuel 0.5
Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.4

Decent report. Al I think is a tad high. Patman knows...

I think you'll see better results with GC. Any oil consumption?

Everything seems a bit high to me, even the nickel and tin, which should really be zero in an interval like this.

I think GC will do much better.

I added 3/4 of a quart at 4k miles. I commute 60 miles a day 5 days a week in this vehicle. I do not baby this car other than letting it fully warm up before putting a heavy load on the engine and keeping it maintained. It sees WOT and gets close to red line in first gear almost daily.

Thanks for the reply's! I am looking forward to learning more about what is normal wear for this engine when run hard and what oil protects it the best.

Amsoil HDD 5W-30 is my suggestion.

How do you like your Goat, Mate? I looked at three after the AutoShow ads were quoting $24,995 out the door for a NEW 2006 6-Speed if you didn't already own a GM product (?).

And there I sit with a $3K spiff on my GM Card to use!

Cheers!

I think you will see lower wear and oil consumption with GC. I'd also highly recommend Amsoil ASL 5w-30 for this engine.

Since you are in california, I'd run a thicker xw-30 (with HT/HS > 3.5 Cp), or a European type, SAE 5w-40. I believe the Mobil 1, 5w-30 or 10w-30 are simply a bit too thin to give you optimum results in these types of engines. For example, you would get MUCH better results running the Mobil 1, 5w-40 truck and SUV oil in this motor under the same conditions.

TD

Mobil does not make a 5W40 T&SUV oil anymore. Currently it is a 5W30. Also, the latest blend of M1 5W30 is 11.2 cSt, although the HTHS is only 3.1.

The kinematic viscosity of the oil is NOT relevant to how it will perform in service, with regards to oil pressure and oil film thickness in the valvetrain. The HT/HS viscosity is a much better predictor of these parameters in actual service. About the only use for kinematic viscosity is to determine the correct SAE grade for engine oils.

The HT/HS viscosity of Delvac 1 is approx 4.0 Cp @ 150C - its fully 10% thicker than their 0w-40 when new and is much more shear stable. It's approx 30% thicker than their xw-30 grades and also has much higher levels of ZDDP for wear protection under high pressures in the valvetrain - including the chain driven camshaft in this pushrod engine.

The use of Delvac 1 will drop these wear rates by 25%-33% in this application right off the bat....

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back