Mobil 1 15w50 in cold weather

I took the advice of several forum members and used Mobil 1 15w50 in my Ferrari Testarossa. I am in Alabama where it rarely drops below freezing. However, it looks like we might get a once in 30 year cold snap next weekend. They are saying lows could be around 10F.

I seriously doubt I will drive the car in this weather, but would it even be safe to start the engine, using 15w50, with temps in the teens?

M1 15W50 is one of their best if not their best oil. Not scientific, but I did a freezer test with M1 15W50 and RP 20W50. The RP was frozen solid, while the M1 moved around in the bottle like a 10W30 or something would.

When M1 15W50 silver cap was first introduced (after the discontinuation of the red cap 15W50), MJ of ExxonMobil told me it was a group IV/V blend.

You chose good! (y)

I've run 15w50 M1 during Maine winters. Engine started every time. No weird noises and good oil PSI reading on gauge. My motorcycles also ran 15w50 and 20w50 synthetics with no issues starting/running in the winter too.
That little cold snap next week is nothing to worry about.
Not garaged?

Lets see what temps 15w's are tested for:
Engine-Oil-Viscosity-Classification-J300-.jpg

I've run 15w50 M1 during Maine winters. Engine started every time. No weird noises and good oil PSI reading on gauge. My motorcycles also ran 15w50 and 20w50 synthetics with no issues starting/running in the winter too.
That little cold snap next week is nothing to worry about.
Not garaged?

Lets see what temps 15w's are tested for:
View attachment 131182
It is garaged, but with being in the south, it’s a detached non heated/non insulated garage.

shouldn't be an issue if the oil is fairly fresh. Oils cab slip a winter rating while in use, but even if it rated at a 20W, 10F would not be too cold (though definitely getting there).

I took the advice of several forum members and used Mobil 1 15w50 in my Ferrari Testarossa. I am in Alabama where it rarely drops below freezing. However, it looks like we might get a once in 30 year cold snap next weekend. They are saying lows could be around 10F.

I seriously doubt I will drive the car in this weather, but would it even be safe to start the engine, using 15w50, with temps in the teens?

You can always start the car and let us know what happens!

I live in NC and it never gets cold enough here for me to worry about running 15W-anything. Not worth worrying about. Plus, it's Mobil 1. (y)

M1 15W50 is one of their best if not their best oil. Not scientific, but I did a freezer test with M1 15W50 and RP 20W50. The RP was frozen solid, while the M1 moved around in the bottle like a 10W30 or something would.

When M1 15W50 silver cap was first introduced (after the discontinuation of the red cap 15W50), MJ of ExxonMobil told me it was a group IV/V blend.

You chose good! (y)
You chose well? 😆

It is garaged, but with being in the south, it’s a detached non heated/non insulated garage.
I doubt the garage will reach as cold 10dg unless it is a prolonged, cloudy snap. Been in plenty of non insulated or heated hangars here and they are always a good bit less cold than ambient. Carefully starting the car should not be a problem. That said, I would be more concerned about your assumedly high performance tires in that weather.

I doubt the garage will reach as cold 10dg unless it is a prolonged, cloudy snap. Been in plenty of non insulated or heated hangars here and they are always a good bit less cold than ambient. Carefully starting the car should not be a problem. That said, I would be more concerned about your assumedly high performance tires in that weather.
Yes, tires are a concern. I’m actually planning to put hot hands handwarmers on the tires the night before. Not sure it will help. I’m also considering running to Lowe’s and buying a propane heater. I’ve got a set of all seasons that are supposed to arrive Thursday so hopefully I’ll have them on by the weekend otherwise zero chance I’m taking it out.

Back