Barium 0 0

Phosphorous 755 779

Zinc 887 890

Fuel (% Vol.) 0.5 0.5

Soot (% Vol.)
Water (% Vol.)
Viscosity (100 C CS) 10.0 10.2

TBN 6.73 6.51

Miles on sample #1 accumulated over 1 1/2 months versus 3 1/2 months for sample two. Sample #1 included 3,300 miles traveled in 1 1/2 weeks. Sample #2 included one 1,000 mile interstate trip and about a half dozen 200 mile trips. Balance of miles on sample #2 were for commuting at 20 mile round trip per day. Testing lab was Polaris Laboratories, LLC which provided two day turnaround time from receipt of sample.

Terry Dyson's comments follow:

Richard,

This engine is spotless. Nothing to comment on except I expected the TBN to stabilize some. The adds are really being used up while providing great protection. I suppose its academic as the SJ M1 is not in production.

Nox and Oxd would help me determine what is being affected in the adds.

Silicon trending up with Iron (I'm splitting hairs here). I think you have a very small or intermittent air intake leak, could also be in a PVC line, grommet, etc. That would explain the TBN drop, dispersants being used to encapsulate the dirt depleting the oil somewhat. Check closely for a really inconspicuous leak.

Overall superior cleanliness and condition for oil and engine.

Terry

Dyson Analysis

Very nice numbers there! I suspect you can definitely take the oil longer once you figure out that small air leak as Terry stated. Care to share with us what kind of air filter you are using?

Regards,

Oz

The air filter is an OEM Toyota with a little over 15K miles on it. I'll be chasing an air leak this weekend or maybe the filter is just ready to be replaced.

After my first analysis Terry stated that 4,000 to 5,000 miles would be a good target drain interval for my engine. The 1MZ-FE V6 really thrashes the oil as you can see from the additive depletion.

The tough question that I am facing is what to use after my stock of Tri-Syn runs out. Though my first oil analysis wasn't done until May of this year, these two test results lead me to assume that the Tri-Syn was serving me well from the time that I switched to it at 9,000 miles.

I wouldn't push this oil past 5,000 miles. People who do 3-4000 miles on average with a toyota do not appear to have any problems but those that use standard bulk oil and low grade oils will sludge one up quick after 3,000 miles.

Toyota IMO is one of the worst for being hard on a motor oil. As discussed awhile back, Toyotas design puts a lot of stress on the oil, and so using an oil as you are, it will provide you the best your going to get. Stay away from the 7500 mile oil drain recommendations that Toyota has on a lot of these cars, but IMO, 5k, should be alright.

2533a, I don't think it has anything with the air filter needing to be replaced.(unless it has a puncture) Efficiency goes UP over time with dust loading. The only sign of it needing to be replaced would be anything to do with air starvation, e.g. poor power, poor economy, black smoke...
You can go 30k on an OE brand filter EASY. Aftermarket replacements like Fram, Purolator, or crappy store brands have less media area and as such won't go as long before becoming restrictive. Always go with OE.
That interval is unless you are in an incredibly dusty environment. I usually let mine go a little longer actually because I still don't see an economy drop at that point. You won't really be doing your engine any favors by changing too early. (initial efficiency is lower).

Thanks for the responses everybody. No evidence of sludge in this engine, but before the Mobil 1 I was adhering to 3,000-mile changes on bulk oil provided by the dealer and my local mechanic. Given how tough this engine is on oil, trying to extend drains evidently is a moot point unless there’s an oil with an especially hairy chest that can take the beating this engine delivers. On this board, I have read a lot about Mobil 1 being on the low end of a 30W in viscosity, but with the small oil galleries that I understand this engine has maybe this is a plus from a flow standpoint?

I don't know what affect moly would have on this, if any, but I'd be interested in seeing how M1 SS does in this engine.

TooSlick,

Thanks for the information on the oil pan gasket material. I'll watch to see if my silicon trends down.

The supercharger with the 4psi pulley supposedly makes 244HP@5200RPM and 234TQ@4400RPM. The car weighs around 3,100# and with the manual transmission is quite peppy.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I don't know what affect moly would have on this, if any, but I'd be interested in seeing how M1 SS does in this engine.

Me too! I'll probably try the "new" Mobil 1 next.

2533a,

Toyota uses a "Permatex" type, silicon(e) based oil pan gasket, so these 4/6 cylinder engines always show high silicon levels initially. My Tacoma showed 37 ppm of silicon after a 12k drain interval, but it has continued to drop to 20 ppm after 12k miles. Toyota makes an excellent OEM filter and the airbox is well designed, so you get a nice lip seal.

What are the Hp/Torque ratings with the Supercharger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back