Mobil 1 0w40 in diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have seen here on the forum that folks are using Mobil 1 0w40 in thare diesels and seem to like it. i have a 2004 duramax with a 6.6 turbo diesel in it and would like to try this oil out. any one see a problem me doing this? or has anyone tryed it? any help would be great.

Does M1 0w40 list the oil spec. that your Duramax calls for? If not, I wouldn't do it. It will probably work fine, but why take a chance?

Just out of curiosity, what do you hope to achieve by using this oil in your Duramax?

I would not use the 0W-40 Mobil 1 in it, the Duramax is specified for a heavier duty oil than that.

It is suitable for light duty diesels such as those in certain Mercedes models but I would not consider it an adequate product to use for the intervals the manufacturer reccomends with that engine.

point well taken,,,,after looking at the mobil web site i think the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is what i should use i see it at my local walmart all the time. (the 40w not the 30w) i think i will give it a try

Originally Posted By: leaves and lawns
point well taken,,,,after looking at the mobil web site i think the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is what i should use i see it at my local walmart all the time. (the 40w not the 30w) i think i will give it a try

Mobil 1 for Turbo Diesel Trucks only comes in 5w-40. It is NOT available in a 30 weight. Do not buy Mobil 1 for Trucks and SUVs buy mistake as it is not diesel rated.

So the M1 website says it is for gassers and diesels without DPF. I want to know if I can use it in my 7.3L Powerstroke. But is it "heavy duty" oil? What does "heavy duty" even mean when it comes to rating oils? Is there a different diesel oil for old, little TDIs and another type of oil for 3/4 ton light trucks with diesels like mine? Im trying to figure if I can use one oil for all 3 of my vehicles, the 7.3 and two bimmers. I mean, the M1 0w40 is CJ4 rated I think so that should be all that matters, right?

Originally Posted By: StuDawg
the M1 0w40 is CJ4 rated I think so that should be all that matters, right?

It meets the requirements of API CF, which is an older diesel spec. CJ-4 is a newer spec designed to protect modern emissions equipment such as DPF, and therefore an oil meeting CJ-4 has lowered levels of additives, lower SAPS. M1 0w-40's has a very rich additive package and as such could not meet CJ-4.

What spec does your 7.3L Powerstroke call for?

CG-4/SH

frown.gif
I guess that means no.

Looks like Ill be sticking to T6 in the 7.3 and the M1 in the bimmers.

Thanks,

True, the CJ-4 for DPF protection. CI-4 and CI-4+ came before that. For a 2004, that is the spec that was called for. Not really sure why the 0w40 would not work just fine in the OP's duramax. After all, it is a 40 wt oil. And as long as it meets the CI-4 spec or higher. If I can use a 5w40 CJ-4, winter and summer, in a 2000 12.7L Detroit Diesel engine that regularly has to handle gross weights up to 80,000 lb everywhere, with good results, not sure why a 5w40 or even a 0w40 would not be just fine in a smaller Duramax. After all, the first number is just the winter flow rating.

On the other hand, not sure why a 0w40 would be needed when 5w40 will do just fine unless one is cold starting north of the arctic circle.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not really sure why the 0w40 would not work just fine in the OP's duramax. After all, it is a 40 wt oil. And as long as it meets the CI-4 spec or higher.

According to Mobil, M1 0w-40 only meets the requirements of API CF.

Can the Mobil 1 0W40 diesel be run in a diesel with a catalytic converter? My friend wants to start using it as I have done and I don't want to ruin his catalytic converter if it's not suitable.

If the diesel in question has a cat, not to be confused with a DPF, I would just remove it! Caterpiller was putting catalytic muffler units on commercial heavy trucks, and most folks just removed them. No reprogramming required on those.

IF we are talking about a DPF, no.

Originally Posted By: galaxy333
Can the Mobil 1 0W40 diesel be run in a diesel with a catalytic converter?

What specs does the bottle list and what does the vehicle call for?

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is CJ-4 and E7/E9. Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 is CJ-4 only, for example.

I also use it in my TX4 London Taxi which had the 2.5 version of the VM lump in your Jeep.

Run very well on it and used almost no oil during that oci.

Also use it in the wifes Clio dci for much or the last 70k miles.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
True, the CJ-4 for DPF protection. CI-4 and CI-4+ came before that. For a 2004, that is the spec that was called for. Not really sure why the 0w40 would not work just fine in the OP's duramax.
[snip …]
On the other hand, not sure why a 0w40 would be needed when 5w40 will do just fine unless one is cold starting north of the arctic circle.

Woah, the Arctic Circle is at 66 N; I work at 59 N and we see air temps of -52F. Back where I live (not work) at 51 N we see air temps to -40F; still a tough start for a Diesel but not impossible.

At the job site, however, Diesel trucks are never shut down until April / May. Turn it off and you won't start it; you will have to bring another diesel vehicle there, use a tarp, run exhaust under the motor for a few hours. Gas will start though.

(The Arctic Circle is the arbitrary point where it's possible to have 24 hour daylight in summer and 24 hour darkness in winter).

Well I lived in Fairbanks, AK for several years. Worse actual temp I saw was -72F. We shut things down all the time. That is why they make block heaters, oil pan heaters, fuel warmers, and battery blankets. Had them on everything. One thing if a person is remote and off the grid, but really not an issue if they are. Actually, if one has access to electrical outlets, they are pretty much a moron if they don't take advantage of it. Will save a lot of wear and tear on a vehicle. I have cold started vehicles hundreds of times in serious cold (-50F or lower) that were only plugged in, with no issues. Started right up. Every thing from autos to semi trucks and equipment.

I think, by living in Alaska for 10 years, I have an understanding where the Arctic Circle is. Especially since I have been north of that several times. North slope gets a full 30 days of dark.

And to my point on 0w40 vs 5w40. 5w40 has a pour point of around -51F. OP is not dealing with that kind of cold. And really not an issue anyway. If someone has a diesel (or gas engine for that matter) and they are not plugging it in long before the temps get that cold, they are not doing very well in protecting their investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back