Mobil 1 0W40 dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that the funny party is that EU Chevy recommends Dexos 2 and USA Chevy has recommended Dexos 1 (Dexos1 Gen 2).
Is this somehow related to fuel and sulphur content differences between USa and the EU or something else? Why not recommend the same oil spec worldwide?

Originally Posted By: theeagleflies
i think that the funny party is that EU Chevy recommends Dexos 2 and USA Chevy has recommended Dexos 1 (Dexos1 Gen 2).
Is this somehow related to fuel and sulphur content differences between USa and the EU or something else? Why not recommend the same oil spec worldwide?

I think the basic reason is that the HTHS requirement for dexos2 is higher (>3.5?), which is at odds with drive to reduce fuel consumption in the US.

One thing that I just stumbled across online that made my jaw drop is a claim that the dexos2 spec includes an LSPI mitigation test like dexos1 Gen 2, despite the fact that LSPI is not a factor in diesel engines.

'At the UNITI Mineral Oil Technology Congress held in Stuttgart, Germany in April, Thomas Hickl, an engineer for Opel, outlined the evolution of General Motors’ dexos engine oil specification. He noted that lubricants for GM’s new dexos2 specification, which covers diesel engines, will have to pass a low speed stochastic pre-ignition (LSPI) test.

This will be true even though diesel engines don’t experience unpredictable pre-ignition, the hallmark of LSPI, while gasoline engines do. Why, then, does dexos2 even include an LSPI test?

“There can be non-technical reasons to require even things that are not necessary for a diesel engine, which is LSPI protection,” Hickl said.

The non-technical reason has to do with GM opting for a single specification in Europe, which will apply to both gasoline and diesel engine oils. This is because of the high percentage of light-duty diesel engines in Europe, unlike in the U.S., and GM’s move to simplify the supply chain. Elsewhere in the world, GM requires dexos1 for gasoline engines and dexos2 for diesel engines.'

https://fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

I had NO idea. All this time I've been pointing posters on here to dexos1 Gen 2 as the only active standard that tests for LSPI and I have been full of it.
DIT drivers looking for higher HTHS oils can apparently use dexos2 as a guide.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I would think the HT/HS would be more important. Even the 5W30 Pennzoil Euro L is 3.5. Granted, the selection is few and far between.

But your primary displeasure of not being able to obtain this specific oil is understood.

And just like Shannow mentioned in the other thread I started, perhaps Mobil 1's 5w30 ESP might even be the better choice, it's got a slightly higher HTHS than their 0w40 ESP (3.58 vs 3.53) and will have less VII so after a few thousand miles of hard driving the 0w40 might actually end up being even thinner. The 5w30 ESP has less sulphated ash (0.6 vs 0.8) and a higher flash point too (254C vs 234C) And the 5w30 is available here right now, while the 0w40 won't hit retail stores until late summer (and considering the slow rollout to dealers so far, that could be wishful thinking) The big problem is price, it's $16.79 per liter here, and I'm not sure if it ever goes on sale like the more common Mobil 1 choices. Another worry is if GM would consider this oil warranty approved or not. In theory it should be, but until there is a TSB that states that any viscosity of dexos2 certified oil is allowed and not just specifically a 0w40 dexos2, I am still leery. And then if they do open that door, my better choice price wise is Euro L 5w30 since it's widely available at Walmart in the US for $27.76 (and I've seen posts recently where it was $22, so it might be rolled back to that point again in the near future)

Am I wrong in thinking that GM went up 2 cSt to cover their butts for issues the engine is having, like in ways of fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I would think the HT/HS would be more important. Even the 5W30 Pennzoil Euro L is 3.5. Granted, the selection is few and far between.

But your primary displeasure of not being able to obtain this specific oil is understood.

And just like Shannow mentioned in the other thread I started, perhaps Mobil 1's 5w30 ESP might even be the better choice, it's got a slightly higher HTHS than their 0w40 ESP (3.58 vs 3.53) and will have less VII so after a few thousand miles of hard driving the 0w40 might actually end up being even thinner. The 5w30 ESP has less sulphated ash (0.6 vs 0.8) and a higher flash point too (254C vs 234C) And the 5w30 is available here right now, while the 0w40 won't hit retail stores until late summer (and considering the slow rollout to dealers so far, that could be wishful thinking) The big problem is price, it's $16.79 per liter here, and I'm not sure if it ever goes on sale like the more common Mobil 1 choices. Another worry is if GM would consider this oil warranty approved or not. In theory it should be, but until there is a TSB that states that any viscosity of dexos2 certified oil is allowed and not just specifically a 0w40 dexos2, I am still leery. And then if they do open that door, my better choice price wise is Euro L 5w30 since it's widely available at Walmart in the US for $27.76 (and I've seen posts recently where it was $22, so it might be rolled back to that point again in the near future)

edyvw has mentioned that NAPA runs decent sales on M1 5W30 ESP, but I don't know if you even have those up there.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Am I wrong in thinking that GM went up 2 cSt to cover their butts for issues the engine is having, like in ways of fuel dilution.

I have mentioned the same thing myself on the Corvette forum.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

edyvw has mentioned that NAPA runs decent sales on M1 5W30 ESP, but I don't know if you even have those up there.

We do have NAPA up here too, I will keep an eye out for when they have sales.

HTHS IS the most important.

If I ran the API, grades would be xW-HTHS (although SR5 wants the HTHSx10 to be used to make it look more normal - I'll accede to that).

So all the Dexos 2 oils are minimum of 3.5HTHS.

All have to stay in grade in the shear test.

One of the interesting things about Dexos is that the MRV limit is 40,000, rather than the 60,000 per J300...they getting close to the next W grade down (for the 5Ws).

The Castrol 0w40 sold in North America does not have dexos2 certification unfortunately, but maybe it will be coming soon?

Not the Castrol 0w-40 A3/B4 we see on the shelves. A3/B4 is mutually exclusive from dexos2. SA will be all wrong.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

We do have NAPA up here too, I will keep an eye out for when they have sales.

I have also been looking for other options just for something to do. Over on the Camaro forum, one of the members tracked down the GM Part number 19353135 for the new Mobil1 0w40. They are ordering from some of the gmParts online web sites.
Looking around, another possibility might be; NAPA online has Valvoline MST 5w30 and 5w40 Dexos2 in bulk 24 qt boxes and 5 gal containers equating to +-$7/qt. The 5w40MSt is recommended in the Camaro track manual for the na LT1 anyway.

Every now and then I like to play the "what is the ultimate overall oil on the market today?" game.
wink.gif
While there truly is no such thing, I have to say the ESP 0w40 may be the closest thing to it.

I love everything about this oil from the low SA, cleaning ability, HT/HS (not too thick, not too thin) and builder approvals.

Originally Posted by buster
Every now and then I like to play the "what is the ultimate overall oil on the market today?" game.
wink.gif
While there truly is no such thing, I have to say the ESP 0w40 may be the closest thing to it.

I love everything about this oil from the low SA, cleaning ability, HT/HS (not too thick, not too thin) and builder approvals.

I still think the 5w30 ESP Formula that I'm running in my Corvette right now is slightly better than the 0w40 version for a few reasons, lower SA, higher HTHS, higher flashpoint and most certainly lower amount of VII. The problem is, this version I'm using is no longer on Mobil 1's website, they have one now just called 5w30 ESP (without the word Formula in it) and it doesn't have the same specs. But I'm hoping that maybe the ESP Formula version will continue to be produced in France and imported to Canada for at least a little while.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by buster
wink.gif

I still think the 5w30 ESP Formula that I'm running in my Corvette right now is slightly better than the 0w40 version for a few reasons, lower SA, higher HTHS, higher flashpoint and most certainly lower amount of VII. The problem is, this version I'm using is no longer on Mobil 1's website, they have one now just called 5w30 ESP (without the word Formula in it) and it doesn't have the same specs. But I'm hoping that maybe the ESP Formula version will continue to be produced in France and imported to Canada for at least a little while.

I always thought that lower SA usually meant more wear?

The fact that Mobil1 choose to put this under the ESP brand is telling; don't expect to see it at WalMart let alone in 5qt jugs. The irony of Corvette owner's giving a hoot about their catalytic converters is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back