Mobil 1 0w20 vs Mobil 1 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 5w20 in my wife's 2009 RAV4 Sport I4 since new. It now has 43,000 miles.

The manual and oil cap recommend both 5w20 and 0w20.

Should I be using 0w20 during the Winter? (Northern Ohio)
Is one better overall than the other?

They both seem to be the same price.
For convenience, I want to stick with Mobil 1 (not Toyota branded oil).

There really won't be a difference for wear protection. The reason Toyota requires a 0w-20 for their extended oci on the 11/12 models is that they know it will be a synthetic. But it sounds like either way you'd be using Mobil 1.

I guess if they were the same price (like at WalMart) I'd be buying the 0w-20. That'll save you at least two dollars in gas over the course of an oil change.

Yeah I agree with bepperb, the 0w20 is a good oil and it may even give you a couple extra bucks back through gas savings. It is nice to have in the cold winter months too. I would go with the 0w20. If you like the M1 5w20 you will like the 0w20 better IMO.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Yeah I agree with bepperb, the 0w20 is a good oil and it may even give you a couple extra bucks back through gas savings. It is nice to have in the cold winter months too. I would go with the 0w20. If you like the M1 5w20 you will like the 0w20 better IMO.

+1....agree....in using M-1 0w20 year-round.

IMO.... M-1 0w20 is one of the better oils that Mobil makes.....and I'll be using for my next oil change.... when my current oil (PP) reaches 7500+/-.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
chubbs1 said:
IMO.... M-1 0w20 is one of the better oils that Mobil makes.....and I'll be using for my next oil change.... when my current oil (PP) reaches 7500+/-.

Does Shell have any idea how much market share they are losing because of their incompetence in the 0W market? They've lost share in this customer's garage and mine. I'll bet this scenario is repeating itself over and over again in the US snow belt.

Last edited:
So Mobil 1 0W20 year around?

Besides being better in very cold temperatures, are there any other benefits of using Mobil 1 0W20 (instead of 5w20)? Is Mobil 1 0W20 a better oil than Mobil 1 5W20?

We keep our vehicles a long time (Currently have a 1997 CRV purchased new that now has 262,000 miles running Mobil 1 5w30).
Will the Mobil 1 0w20 protect the engine as well as a 5w20?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JungleJim

Besides being better in very cold temperatures, are there any other benefits of using Mobil 1 0W20 (instead of 5w20)? Is Mobil 1 0W20 a better oil than Mobil 1 5W20?

We keep our vehicles a long time (Currently have a 1997 CRV purchased new that now has 262,000 miles running Mobil 1 5w30).

M1 0-20 is a very good oil as is the 5-20. However the base stock may be a little differant for the 0-20. With that said I like the 0-20 and should be fine for your engine as well if it is spec'd for your CRV. With that said why not try the M1 0-30 since you have been using 5-30?

Originally Posted By: JungleJim

What would be considered "very cold temperatures"? I've got multiple jugs of 5w20 sitting on my shelf and would rather use them in my vehicles specd for 0w.

M1 0W-20 is the better choice vs M1 5W-20 becauce it is lighter at all temp's due to it's slightly lower HTHSV of 2.7cP and noticeably higher 173 VI.
In comparing any oils you need to look past the grade on the bottle but rather at the underlying viscosity spec's.

Keep in mind also that M1 0W-20 is a much heavier oil than the specified Toyota 0W-20 for you car; somewhat at normal operating temp's, 25% heavier at room temp' and 35% heavier at 0C.

If you want to use up the jugs of 5W-20 you have I'd reserve them for summer use. Another option to use it up faster is to blend it 50/50 with some Toyota 0W-20 for winter use. This will give you an oil with the start-up viscosity on par with M1 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
There really won't be a difference for wear protection. The reason Toyota requires a 0w-20 for their extended oci on the 11/12 models is that they know it will be a synthetic. But it sounds like either way you'd be using Mobil 1.

I guess if they were the same price (like at WalMart) I'd be buying the 0w-20. That'll save you at least two dollars in gas over the course of an oil change.

I dont believe it will save fuel in all cases. Could some applications actually use more fuel? I dont see any reason for it ever cause more fuel consumption, but without controlled tests, who knows.

But lets humor your guess of better fuel economy with math:
6,000 OCI X 22 MPG = 272.73 gallons @ $3.10 = $845.46
6,000 OCI X 22.11 MPG (+0.5%) = 271.37 gallons @ $3.10 = $841.25

$4.21 savings for a 0.5% increase in fuel economy.

So, if you do see a fuel economy increase, a $2.00 savings is feasible per OCI.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Does Shell have any idea how much market share they are losing because of their incompetence in the 0W market? They've lost share in this customer's garage and mine. I'll bet this scenario is repeating itself over and over again in the US snow belt.

If they don't, they should get a clue. I used to use Pennzoil pretty exclusively, but I want to use a 0W-20 oil and they just don't have it available. So I've got Mobil 1 0W-20 in both vehicles. I've used it year-round in the MDX and will use it year-round in the CR-V. Both specify 5W-20 on the oil fill cap, but 0W-20 is officially acceptable in both per Honda (the CR-V has powertrain warranty to 100k miles).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I used to use Pennzoil pretty exclusively, but I want to use a 0W-20 oil and they just don't have it available.

Pennzoil does have synthetic 0W-20 available in Pennzoil Platinum and it is a very good product.

The Pennzoil 0W-20 is almost impossible to find. On the other hand, Mobil 0W-20 is readily available.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I used to use Pennzoil pretty exclusively, but I want to use a 0W-20 oil and they just don't have it available.

Pennzoil does have synthetic 0W-20 available in Pennzoil Platinum and it is a very good product.

Unfortunately, not available in 5QT jugs.

But often on sale for $5.00 a quart (i.e. $30 for 5 quarts and a Mobil EP filter).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
... With that said I like the 0-20 and should be fine for your engine as well if it is spec'd for your CRV. With that said why not try the M1 0-30 since you have been using 5-30?

Sorry for the confusing wording...I was just using our CRV as an example of how long we keep our vehicles. My oil questions are only referring to the RAV. (I use Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 in the CRV.)

If Mobil 1 0w-20 will protect the engine in the RAV just as well as the 5w-20, then I think I'll switch over at the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back