Mobil 1 0W-8

I felt like a rebel putting 0w20 in the Camry that specifies 0w16. Advance honestly didn't have any 0w16 in stock.
Gotta watch out, Toyota Genuine has a high moly load over 650ppm In their 0W16 offering to (possibly) crutch the marginal MOFT.
You will likely not see this from AP store or WM major brands - including Mobil.

Making an assumption here that the TOYOTA OEM was a bottled service part and not a new car crankcase sample

Yes, an unknow data source; just take this info as a kickoff for some further research.

Last edited:
Is there any mfg data available to those outside the industry on this - or are they still keeping the cards close to their vests?
Cars used to be garbage at 100,000 miles. Now many are at 200,000 miles . The average vehicle on the road is what? 12-1/2 years old. Contrary to the new car hate on here they seem to be pretty reliable. You don't need to buy a 20 year old VIC for reliability.

I felt like a rebel putting 0w20 in the Camry that specifies 0w16. Advance honestly didn't have any 0w16 in stock.
If you look at the viscosity numbers between a 0w16 and a 0w20 there really isn’t a huge difference anyway. And they are actually overlapping viscosities as well if you look at the chart that shows the range between the two.

If you look at the viscosity numbers between a 0w16 and a 0w20 there really isn’t a huge difference anyway. And they are actually overlapping viscosities as well if you look at the chart that shows the range between the two.
Depends on the brand. Take a look at this Idemitsu product:

'A little over a thousand miles. The high ZDP and lack of detergents made the racing oil unsuitable for long term use. But it was another data point that thinner oils will not blow up your engine. I put another 10k miles on the truck. It was 5 years old and I decided to get something I "liked" better for a bunch of reasons. I traded it in on a GMC Yukon Denali XL. It has the 6.2L gas engine. I wonder what I will try on this one???

Ali

'A little over a thousand miles. The high ZDP and lack of detergents made the racing oil unsuitable for long term use. But it was another data point that thinner oils will not blow up your engine. I put another 10k miles on the truck. It was 5 years old and I decided to get something I "liked" better for a bunch of reasons. I traded it in on a GMC Yukon Denali XL. It has the 6.2L gas engine. I wonder what I will try on this one???

Ali

With all due respect you can't possibly know with such short mileage if that super thin oil did any damage to that engine or not. Sure it didn't instantly blow up, but if you tore that engine down you may have already seen major signs of wear. I don't think that you can really claim that a super thin oil is safe unless you put a huge amount of mileage on the engine with it in there.

Do the manuals for Toyotas that recommend 0W-8 still have the line that a thicker viscosity oil may be better under extreme conditions? I know the last manual that recommended 0W16 in a Toyota hybrid did have that verbiage.

I have used Red Line 0W-5 oil in my Lincoln Navigator with a twin turbo, 450 HP engine with no adverse effects so the 0W-8 should do the trick in your car.

ali
If I remember correctly the UOA was showing lots of copper or other metals. We weren’t sure if damage was occurring or something related to the oil chemistry was the cause. This test was inconclusive and now that you no longer have the vehicle not repeatable. I found the UOA..

0D2E5B2A-58E5-4D9C-9A3F-0955AA19B971.jpeg

Last edited:
Do the manuals for Toyotas that recommend 0W-8 still have the line that a thicker viscosity oil may be better under extreme conditions? I know the last manual that recommended 0W16 in a Toyota hybrid did have that verbiage.
From the 2024 Corolla owners manual: If SAE 0W-8 is not available SAE 0W-16 oil may be used However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-8 at the next oil change.:

I looked on the Australian website and they do not have an updated manual there. When my 2019 Rav4 came out it spec'd 0w-16. Same engine in Australia also spec'd 0w-16 but said you could use anything up to 15w-40 (temperature dependent). They had the little chart.

From the 2024 Corolla owners manual: If SAE 0W-8 is not available SAE 0W-16 oil may be used However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-8 at the next oil change.:

I looked on the Australian website and they do not have an updated manual there. When my 2019 Rav4 came out it spec'd 0w-16. Same engine in Australia also spec'd 0w-16 but said you could use anything up to 15w-40 (temperature dependent). They had the little chart.
The thicker viscosity statement is always in the following paragraphs. My interpretation is thicker is ok under severe use.

08.jpg

In a small economy car driving around town at slow speeds I'd be ok with a 0w8. Fuel dilution would be a concern though as we've seen how much fuel dilution can reduce viscosity. I'd likely run a good 0w20 in any car calling for a 0w8 or 0w16. I'm not one to deviate much from the OE spec but in this case I'd likely go up a grade for peace of mind.

We also know due to global manuals that most engines can run on multiple viscosity grades and the driver of low viscosity is CAFE. So there is wiggle room.

In a small economy car driving around town at slow speeds I'd be ok with a 0w8. Fuel dilution would be a concern though as we've seen how much fuel dilution can reduce viscosity. I'd likely run a good 0w20 in any car calling for a 0w8 or 0w16. I'm not one to deviate much from the OE spec but in this case I'd likely go up a grade for peace of mind.
The thing is you are not deviating from OE spec if a higher grade is allowed one time or anytime logic is its allowed all the time for the entire time.

Back