I do my own haircut. How about you?

Yes for more than 15 years. I don't need the wife's help but I do it on my own. Saved thousands of $$$ over the last years.

This what I have,

1) Electric Hair Cutter. I used #3 Blue guard cut guide https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Col...XHFU-L06pSIMTzyMDzAaAhoHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
2) A scissor and comb
3) Small mirror
4) Big wall mirror.

The big mirror is a must and small mirror. I used both mirrors for reflection on finishing touches at the back of my head.

That's it.

The Advantages:
1) You don't need to drive and go to a mall hair salon or the barber shop.
2) You don't need to wait in line
3) You don't have to get upset because the hair stylist/barber cut too much of your hair or too little.
4) You don't have to wear that cloth cape that have been used so many times and your only alternative is to wear it :ROFLMAO:
5) No more barber's rubbing alcohol that's smells awful (it's just me) may not apply to others
6) No more tips.

The Disadvantages:
1) It takes a while to get used to cutting your own hair. By the 3rd time, you'll be an expert (this is my own personal recollection)

Last edited:
I buzzed it all off once with a beard trimmer in the early days of COVID when I couldn't have the attractive young woman at the fancy salon cut it properly. Fun to do once out of desperation but never again.

Yes more than 15 years. I don't need the wife's help but I do it on my own. Saved thousands of $$$ over the last years.

This what I have,

1) Electric Hair Cutter. I used #3 Blue guard cut guide https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wahl-Col...XHFU-L06pSIMTzyMDzAaAhoHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
2) A scissor and comb
3) Small mirror
4) Big wall mirror.

The big mirror is a must and small mirror. I used both mirrors for reflection on finishing touches at the back of my head.

That's it.

The Advantages:
1) You don't need to drive and go to a mall hair salon or the barber shop.
2) You don't need to wait in line
3) You don't have to get upset because the hair stylist/barber cut too much of your hair or too little.
4) You don't have to wear that cloth cape that have been used so many times and your only alternative is to wear it :ROFLMAO:
5) No more barber's rubbing alcohol that's smells awful (it's just me) may not apply to others
6) No more tips.

The Disadvantages:
1) It takes a while to get used to cutting your own hair. By the 3rd time, you'll be an expert (this is my own personal recollection)

I got you beat years wise, been doing this for 22 years. You did miss 1 advantage, bad breath! I know everyone will say that I am cheap and saving money, but it was not the money thing that made me start cutting my own hair. I had an excellent barber from when I was a little kid up until I was 32 years old. He would always let me look at the best magazines when I got a haircut, of course the awesome magazines started when I was 12 years old.

After he retired, no more magazines from the next guy and I started noticing bad breath. In 22 years I am now on my 2nd set of Clippers!

Long time ago I had a German barber who was a bigtime Notre Dame basketball fan. I'd go there on a saturday for a haircut when the Irish were playing. We'd watch the game. Lots of fun. No, I don't cut my own hair. Afraid of getting in front of a mirror.

barber pole.jpg

Been doing it myself for the last 10 years or so. i keep my hair short and it grows pretty quickly. haircut every 3 weeks or so . it was not a money issue . i just got tired of driving to the local Viet salon i used to go to and waiting to get it cut. by the time i drove there, waited etc, i could have done it at home twice.

I've been buzz cutting for about 15 years. Nothing fancy, just a simple buzz. Talk about cheap, I use my dog's clipper but that Wahl color coded clipper from Walmart looks pretty good.

I use clippers too, usually use #3. Back in the 90s I had a Flowbee so I’ve been doing it my self for many years. I use a shoe lace tied around my head to line up the back of my head. It actually works pretty good. 😂

Just like saving money and time doing my own OIL CHANGES, I've been doing my haircuts almost exclusively for probably 10-15 years. It's a good economic decision, "a penny saved is a penny earned."

Haircuts take LESS time at home, than actually going to the barber/salon, waiting or signing in advance (always a wait), then the 20 minutes of mindless chit-chat.

Haircuts now cost about $30, used to be about $15. Let's average $25 including cost to drive there.
But what is not taught in schools, is that to have $25 (after all various taxes totaling ~50% of your income), in your pocket, you have to EARN about $50. That's how I figure costs.

Figure $50, quarterly. That's $200 annually. 10 years, $2,000. For me that's 1 full month of living expenses, mortgage, all bills, and groceries. And, going forward that'll double in no time.

Extra 1 hour per year, that's 10 hours saved in a decade. Not much but hey it's my most valuable resource.

All by doing something very simple.

Same with oil changes, saving probably a hundred bucks per vehicle per year, adding up to several thousands every decade. I also cook 90% of my own meals, have a home gym, fix anything I can fix myself before calling a contractor, etc. These life behaviors save many tens of thousands every decade. These are the additional things independent minded people do to hedge against the high and accelerating costs of living, ya know, plus a job or two or three. :)

Back