I do my own haircut. How about you?

Thinking of performing my own knee replacement next year. Save a couple bucks on the surgeon. I got a Haynes manual for it and YouTube so I should be good to go.
Using scissors and a trimmer, which a monkey can do, is the same complexity as a KNEE REPLACEMENT surgery which takes 8 years of education. Got it!

Grow it long; it gets super easy to cut yourself.

Make a ponytail, slide the elastic thing all the way down near the bottom, then bring the ponytail around to the front. Trim off 1/2-inch. Done!

Been wearing a high and tight since I was 18 and I go to the barber shop every two weeks. The cut only costs $12 but I give the barber $15. I'm generally in and out of there in 10 minutes. When the barber shops were closed due to the pandemic, I tried cutting my own hair. I can't do a fade and it looked horrible.

Anyone here cut their own hair??? jk @Escape08 and @dishdude :p

What do you do to save money that others consider you a cheapskate for or that you know for a fact that even you consider yourself a tightwad for doing?

What do you do that is more prudent and frugal and/or takes some skill or discipline?

We already have an energy saving thread and my own What’s your thermostat set to thread, so please refrain from making fun of me for my cold house. I’m not a cheapskate, I’m frugal, dang it! :love:

Anyone here cut their own hair??? jk @Escape08 and @dishdude :p

What do you do to save money that others consider you a cheapskate for or that you know for a fact that even you consider yourself a tightwad for doing?

What do you do that is more prudent and frugal and/or takes some skill or discipline?

We already have an energy saving thread and my own What’s your thermostat set to thread, so please refrain from making fun of me for my cold house. I’m not a cheapskate, I’m frugal, dang it! :love:

How did I get pulled into this? lol

I'll rinse out Tim Hortons or McDonalds style coffee cups and re-use them the day after if I am going on a day-trip and want to just dispose of my coffee cup.

I treat thrift and frugality as a virtue and not a vice. I tend to live in the style once stated by a famous English philosopher - "I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than in attempting to satisfy them." quote from John Stuart Mills

we rinse out and re-use "ziplock" bags
we re-use plastic grocery sacks and paper sacks all the time
of course most generic (store) brands work just fine
change my own oil, and do 99+% of my own maintenance - to the point of full engine rebuilds and transmission rebuilds (pretty much only take them in for tires or alignments)
eat leftovers from homecooked meals almost every day for breakfast and lunch (I usually prefer real dinner food for breakfast)
buy bulk meat and divide and store in freezer
almost all our clothes come from garage sales or thrift stores (which I just realized is now a fad, and reducing my choices)
most major purchases are used

...just a few. My wife and I while we have been blessed later in life with our occupations and income, both grew up in poverty. She - living in a school bus, and me in a trailer park. We now have no worries of most of the things we would ever need to purchase, but are proud of our past, and the frugal traits we still hold on to.

Yeah, people call me cheap for doing my own car work
Same here, but I do it and my owner assist annuals because I enjoy it......

I grew up in a household of extreme frugality by necessity, but not to the extreme we did, and while it certainly gave me an appreciation for careful and thoughtful spending and minimizing waste, it also gave me a distaste for the extreme. I focus on the big or long term items (utilities, large, durable purchases, etc.) but not the pennies lest the effort in chasing them become more costly than the savings.

Back