mobil 1 0W-40 vs 5W-30 in cold climates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Got 5W30 Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my '98 4.0 XJ, now at 213K, has used virtually no oil in 3500 miles & is "quite" QUIET! The 4.0 does seem to like an oil filter with a silicone ADBV, the Mopar MO-090 that was on it when I bought it allowed overnight drainback with lifter tick at startup.

Yes, thanks for correcting my spelling as well as the suggestion. I see your from Cincinnati, Hope your not still sore about that wild card game. LOL. I agree with the silicone anti drain back valve. That's one of the reasons I chose the fram ultra. I will try another mobil 1 filter though to rule out that the filter is causing the noise.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
A 40 weight oil is not necessary in the winter. With your short trips, your Jeep will be churning honey for a few miles anyway.

Unless the 5w30 has an awesome CCS/MRV value, the M1 0w40 will actually do better in the cold.

Originally Posted By: dparm
A 40 weight oil is not necessary in the winter. With your short trips, your Jeep will be churning honey for a few miles anyway.

Unless the 5w30 has an awesome CCS/MRV value, the M1 0w40 will actually do better in the cold.

I guess this is what I am trying to ask. Are both oils roughly the same viscosity at Start up in say, 0 degree temperature? I know that the 0W-40 will be thicker at operating temperature. Like what was mentioned earlier in this thread, my oil will probably not reach full operating temp due to the short trips. Will there be any real difference in viscosity during a cold weather start up between a conventional 5W-30 and mobil 1 0W-40?

Originally Posted By: sewagerat

I guess this is what I am trying to ask. Are both oils roughly the same viscosity at Start up in say, 0 degree temperature? I know that the 0W-40 will be thicker at operating temperature. Like what was mentioned earlier in this thread, my oil will probably not reach full operating temp due to the short trips. Will there be any real difference in viscosity during a cold weather start up between a conventional 5W-30 and mobil 1 0W-40?

The reason I want to know about the mobil 1 0W-40 is because I have a ton of it in SM formula. I run it in my 4 wheeler and it doesn't seem thick even in very cold weather.

The M1 0w40 is going to be lighter at startup, and slightly heavier once fully warmed up. I would absolutely run that in the Jeep if you have a big stash.

I may just keep the 5W-30, try the mobil 1 filter again and just put up with the noise.

It's just annoying, the engine was EXTREAMLY QUITE when I purchased it a month ago. I just hope it's not the famous piston skirt failure that the dealer hid with some lucas!

Not trying to worry you but, I did find it rather strange that he changed the oil before he sold it. Dealerships really don't do that. Its an added expense.

The day I bought mine, they even told me it needed a change ASAP.

The M1 0w40 is going to be lighter at startup, and slightly heavier once fully warmed up. I would absolutely run that in the Jeep if you have a big stash.

Thanks, I think I will try it along with the mobil 1 filter and see what it sounds like. I have about 15 quarts on hand that I picked up for real cheap when advance auto put it on clearance after the switch to SN.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I may just keep the 5W-30, try the mobil 1 filter again and just put up with the noise.

It's just annoying, the engine was EXTREAMLY QUITE when I purchased it a month ago. I just hope it's not the famous piston skirt failure that the dealer hid with some lucas!

Not trying to worry you but, I did find it rather strange that he changed the oil before he sold it. Dealerships really don't do that. Its an added expense.

The day I bought mine, they even told me it needed a change ASAP.

I agree. Looking back, I should have put more thought into it. The dealer said that the oil looked real dirty so he changed it. It did seem strange that he used a mobil 1 oil filter on a $3,000 jeep. The oil seemed pretty thick when I changed it. thinking maybe 15W-40 or 10W-30 with a quart of lucas. That's not a scientific observation but seemed much thicker that a 5W-30.

A Mobil 1 filter too.. yes kinda fishy. Maybe call the guy and ask what oil he used? Lol.

If you do end up running M1 0w 40, let us know how you like it. I ran M1 5w 40 TDT for about the last 50x, but decided to give 10w 30 HM a try. I had to use it due to availably, and it actually quieted my engine up a lot. I bought some 5w 30 HM for this winters run since it was on sale too. The M1 HM, TDT and 0w 40 have high zinc and phos levels. Our engines love it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A Mobil 1 filter too.. yes kinda fishy. Maybe call the guy and ask what oil he used? Lol.

If you do end up running M1 0w 40, let us know how you like it. I ran M1 5w 40 TDT for about the last 50x, but decided to give 10w 30 HM a try. I had to use it due to availably, and it actually quieted my engine up a lot. I bought some 5w 30 HM for this winters run since it was on sale too. The M1 HM, TDT and 0w 40 have high zinc and phos levels. Our engines love it.

I will have to let you know. I hope it gets rid of some of the noise.

No doubt in extreme cold. I didn't look up the specs, but I'd bet the HTHS and Kinematic numbers are much higher than a typical 5W30. It's moot anyway though, as he already has a stash of it, so that's enough for me to run it.

My favorite Jeep filters were Motorcraft FL300's and Advance Auto Total Grips. The Purolator 14670's are nice too. I just scored some closeout PH43 Fram OCOD's for a buck each. I'll have to post a picture and scare everyone.

The 4.0 likes Xw40, so that should be fine. Our 4.0 lifter tick went away using 0wXX as opposed to 5w or 10w.

On this engine I'd suggest a UOA after about 3k (leaving it in) for two reasons:

1). That year 4.0 could have the bad 0331 head, allowing coolant to get into the oil. Google it and you will find plenty of info on it, or pm me with questions.

2). Many UOAs with M1 show highet wear numbers in the 4.0. This might not be true for the 0w40, however, but worth a check to be sure.

Last edited:

Yes, I'm not sure of his application (NO experience with them), but the M1 0W-40 is on the thin side of a 40 weight as far as HTHSV is concerned, and it has that very high 185-187 V.I. to help it out in the cold.

If anyone was worried about it being "too thick" for the winter, they could just thin it out with a quart or two of any good, high V.I. 0W-20 oil out there (even the M1 0W-20 if one is worried about inter-company compatability/chemistry differences, although you will give up the high V.I. of some of the other 0W-20s from other companies).
wink.gif

Well i changed the oil today with mobil 1 0w-40 and a bosch distance plus oil filter. It seems to run more quiet with it vs the QS defy 5w-30 and fram ultra. Like i said earlier in this post, i don't think the filter had anything to do with the noise because it's a top notch filter. I plan on running the 0w-40 4 to 5 thousand miles or possibly a full year for me which would be 5 to 6 thousand. I plan on having a uoadone at 3 thousand miles to see how its doing.

Well i changed the oil today with mobil 1 0w-40 and a bosch distance plus oil filter. It seems to run more quiet with it vs the QS defy 5w-30 and fram ultra. Like i said earlier in this post, i don't think the filter had anything to do with the noise because it's a top notch filter. I plan on running the 0w-40 4 to 5 thousand miles or possibly a full year for me which would be 5 to 6 thousand. I plan on having a uoadone at 3 thousand miles to see how its doing.

I run my trail Jeep out to 2 / 2.5 year intervals. If you're only going 4-5 K miles, a conventional oil would save you money. Your 4.0L wouldn't know the difference.

Yes, you can go MUCH MUCH further during an OCI with THAT combo, even with cold weather/short trips/fuel dilution/etc., due to the good TBN, and stout additive pack/base oil of the M1, and the excellent filtration of that filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back