mobil 1 0W-40 vs 5W-30 in cold climates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a used 2000 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I6 with 147,000 miles on it. The dealer said he just changed the oil in it before I purchased it. After running it for awhile I decided to change the oil and filter since I didn't know what was in it. All I know is it had a mobil 1 filter. I used Quaker State Defy 5W-30 with a fram ultra filter. Since doing so, I became instantly more noisy. I know have a ticking sound and before I changed the oil it was very quite. I wonder if it was using a thicker oil?
I am thinking about trying mobil 1 0W-40 to quite it down. My question is, will it be too thick to run during winter where I live? Here are some specifics:

I make 4 very short trips a day. ( 2 trips less than 2 miles, 1 trip 3 miles, and 1 5 mile trip. )

I try to take it on a 70 mile round trip every 1 to two months to get rid of any moisture in the oil.

I live in north central PA where the temps can get pretty cold in the winter. Lowest I remember is -36F with the average probably being 0F to 15F during the middle of winter for the lows.

Will the 0W-40 be too thick for winter? I am sure it will be fine for summer but I would like to run it year round. What do you think?

M1 HM 5w30 would be a good winter oil for the Jeep engine while being on the upper end of the viscosity range it might help with the tick. I would try another filter though before I rule that out.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The jeeps like conventional 10w30. Such as valvoline white bottle or pennz yellow.No synthetics. And no 5w or 0w oils. 15w40 is often used in summer by many.

Did you notice his location & winter temperatures? There's nothing 10W30 will do that 5w30 won't do, and the 5w30 will be less honey-like during startup during his cold PA winter.

sewagerat, If you feel that you need a thicker oil at operating temp, get one of the 5w or 0w oils that is thick for it's grade.
Don't go heavier with the starting grade (like a 15w) in your climate.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Too thick for the winter? Your car is not air cooled, so it's largely irrelevant.

I meant due to my frequent short trips during sub freezing weather, will the 0W-40 flow well enough during startup to not cause an unusual amount of wear on my engine.

Originally Posted By: fnbrowning
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The jeeps like conventional 10w30. Such as valvoline white bottle or pennz yellow.No synthetics. And no 5w or 0w oils. 15w40 is often used in summer by many.

Did you notice his location & winter temperatures? There's nothing 10W30 will do that 5w30 won't do, and the 5w30 will be less honey-like during startup during his cold PA winter.

sewagerat, If you feel that you need a thicker oil at operating temp, get one of the 5w or 0w oils that is thick for it's grade.
Don't go heavier with the starting grade (like a 15w) in your climate.

But would the full synthetic 0W-40 be just as thin at start up as the 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
M1 HM 5w30 would be a good winter oil for the Jeep engine while being on the upper end of the viscosity range it might help with the tick. I would try another filter though before I rule that out.

I am not sure about the high mileage 5W-30 but the regular mobil 1 5W-30 had some pretty poor UOA's on this site in the Jeep 4.0L I6. Not sure why but, the wear numbers seemed high.

A 40 weight oil is not necessary in the winter. With your short trips, your Jeep will be churning honey for a few miles anyway.

Personally, I would run conventional 5W30 and call it a day. The 4.0L doesn't need anything special. All of my off road rigs get 5W30 in winter.

I have seen some nice UOA's on this engine using 40 weight oil. I think the dealer MAY have added some lucas or something similar to the engine to sell it. If the 5W-30 DEFY is noisy, I don't think a 10W-30 will make much difference. I will try another mobil 1 filter but I doubt the fram ultra I am using is the cause of the noise. It is a excellent filter with a silicone anti drain back valve.

I may just keep the 5W-30, try the mobil 1 filter again and just put up with the noise.

Originally Posted By: sewagerat
I may just keep the 5W-30, try the mobil 1 filter again and just put up with the noise.

It's just annoying, the engine was EXTREAMLY QUITE when I purchased it a month ago. I just hope it's not the famous piston skirt failure that the dealer hid with some lucas!

I have seen some nice UOA's on this engine using 40 weight oil.

Sure and a few 30wts, but you have to remember that with your short trips and 6 quart capacity, your oil is not going to get up to operating temp for most of the time it's in the sump.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I have seen some nice UOA's on this engine using 40 weight oil.

Sure and a few 30wts, but you have to remember that with your short trips and 6 quart capacity, your oil is not going to get up to operating temp for most of the time it's in the sump.

True

It's just annoying, the engine was EXTREAMLY QUITE when I purchased it a month ago. I just hope it's not the famous piston skirt failure that the dealer hid with some lucas!

Yeah, these things can be a pain in the neck. Just stay positive and enjoy your Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Yeah, these things can be a pain in the neck. Just stay positive and enjoy your Jeep.

Thanks, luckily It came with a 6 month 7,500 mile powertrain warrenty. I hope if it is the piston skirt problem, it goes before the warrenty is up. It should only cost a $100 deductible.

Got 5W30 Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my '98 4.0 XJ, now at 213K, has used virtually no oil in 3500 miles & is "quite" QUIET! The 4.0 does seem to like an oil filter with a silicone ADBV, the Mopar MO-090 that was on it when I bought it allowed overnight drainback with lifter tick at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back