Mobil 1 0W-40/5239 Miles/2006 Audi A4 2.0L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first analysis (Blackstone) after purchasing this car with 39K on it. Oil changed after 1 week of driving. 90%+ highway miles, average 800-1000 miles per week. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Comments:
The universal averages show average wear for the Audi 2.0L Turbo engine after 5,400 miles of oiluse. You ran your oil 5,239 miles and all of the wear metals read below those averages. They were also inbalance to one another, indicating normally wearing parts at 46,387 miles. The high sodium is likely fromadditive in oil that was in use previously. Since potassium and wear were low we doubt the sodium is fromanti-freeze. The TBN was 6.7, lots of active additive left. It's almost gone when it reads 1.0. Oil viscosity wasin the SAE 30W range. Nice wearing Audi!

Code:

OIL Mobil1 0w-40

REPORT DATE 8/3/2009

MI/HR on Oil 5239

MI/HR on Unit 46,387

Sample Date 7/29/2009

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ELEMENTS

IN PARTS PER MILLION

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 28

COPPER 2

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 70

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 113

SILICON 3

SODIUM 56

CALCIUM 2561

MAGNESIUM 42

PHOSPHORUS 806

ZINC 1000

BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 63.0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 11.06

Flashpoint in °F 390

Fuel %
Antifreeze % ?

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 6.7

Far higher Fe wear than that oil in use in my saab 2.0 turbo after 13-14k miles. Is what it is - my read being that despite reasonable flash and fuel %, the DI engines are super-hard on the oil. They say everything is in balance, but given how nicely all the other metals did - I wouldn't say the same thing.

I'm not concerned with the viscosity, because this is known and understood with M1 0w-40.

Looks like a typical M1 0w-30, I mean 40 UOA.
grin2.gif

Blackstone indicates the universal average for Fe in this engine is 30. Many of the other reports I've seen have Fe in the upper 30s...

The regression line represents the average iron levels for the database we have so far (approx. 3.9 ppm/1000 miles at around 46k miles). The yellow dot is this run (5.3ppm/1k miles). This is limited data however as it is from several users and is a small data set.

mobilcopy.jpg

Shoot, almost forgot, why is sodium so high? Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of UOAs from Blackstone with high sodium lately?

Looking at the database prior to entering this run, the average sodium is 5.7 with the highest recorded being 15. FYI average potassium is 2.4 so no worries there. Where is the sodium coming from?

Edit: just re-read Blackstone's comments saying they think it is residual form old oil. I guess the next UOA will tell.

Last edited:
My intent is to run oil analysis until I feel comfortable with the results and OCI. I already have 1400 miles on the current change, so I should have another report by the end of August...

Thanks for the feedback!

You may want to check out that recent Motul lite 0W30 (or whatever it's called) thread if you want to stay with a VW 502 oil. That stuff looks good for a 502 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back