Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP Blackstone Report

ESP still has a pretty robust 3.5 HTHS to begin with. TBN wasn’t really depleted if you trust blackstone. this could’ve been much worse.

1% fuel imo is a lot. How is the vehicle driven? Short trips, highway runs at full operating temp, a mix? The only way to compare with other UOAs is if the driving conditions are the same. I do agree with that much fuel a 0w40 or 5w40 would be a better choice, especially if it sees a good amount of short trips.
90% short trips. 15 miles or less. Lots of running around town. Longer round trips of say 100 miles, maybe once a week.
How do driving habits dictate how much fuel is added to the oil? I have almost 4,000 miles on my latest fill of PP LX 0W-30 and all of these comments are making me want to drain it, sent it to Blackstone, and refill it with something else.

ESP still has a pretty robust 3.5 HTHS to begin with. TBN wasn’t really depleted if you trust blackstone. this could’ve been much worse.
Could have been much worse? What do you mean by that? Blackstone's comments suggest that my Atlas is in great shape?
What is HTHS?

Blackstone always say that.
HTHS is what you want.
Thanks for the link. Are you of the mind that I should bump viscosity? I guess I'm just wondering what could have been worse?
Does something in that report suggest that my VW may be in trouble?

Thanks for the link. Are you of the mind that I should bump viscosity? I guess I'm just wondering what could have been worse?
Does something in that report suggest that my VW may be in trouble?
No, your VW is fine. But for a long run, look my earlier post on previous page.
Engines don’t self destruct bcs. one iffy oil change.

90% short trips. 15 miles or less. Lots of running around town. Longer round trips of say 100 miles, maybe once a week.
How do driving habits dictate how much fuel is added to the oil? I have almost 4,000 miles on my latest fill of PP LX 0W-30 and all of these comments are making me want to drain it, sent it to Blackstone, and refill it with something else.
90% short trips are a lot, especially with an engine with high fuel dilution. Many people will say that 100 mile trip once a week burns off fuel and condensation, which is true but...... Those 6 days of short tripping and having the oil which contains the fuel and condensation waiting to be burnt off is not doing the engine any favors. Mobil 1 ESP is a great oil, but in your application bumping to a 40 grade oil might be a good idea. I'll venture a guess and say had you used one of the "thinner" 30 grade oils that "UOA would have been a lot worse. I would also ignore the comment about extending the interval to 12K miles, and consider changing the oil following a severe service interval after a UOA with an Xw-40 grade oil. Wasteful to some, but ultimately it's your vehicle and you have to do what you feel is best.

Last edited:
If you want to keep intervals at 10k mi, try 0/5w-40

If you want to cut it back to 5k mi, keep using the 0w-30 ESP and uoa

The drop in viscosity is due to the fuel dilution. The iron is up there a bit for only having 10k miles on that change. Not the worst report but not great either. I'd keep it to 7500 miles.

The heavier ends of pump gasoline don't evaporate until 350-400°F so no matter the 100 mile weekly trip, some fuel will always remain and get added to the next week.

Zikes I have the exact same oil in my VR6 right now. If it looks like this when I UOA I won't be using it again. Ouch, terrible shear and my VR6 had way less iron at those miles.
What are you driving? I so love the vr6. I always ran 0w40 in mine. 00 Gti 2.8l vr6

I don't see any issue staying with the 504 0W30, just drop your OCIs back to 5K. That's basically what I do and I use the 502 5W40 oils. At 10K a year max, 2x changes a year just is simple/easy and the UOAs back it.

Reactions: FZ1
TiGeo's UOA's on the 0w30 held much better viscosity even though still a lot of fuel in them. I don't have near the fuel dilution in mine, but driving conditions are ideal, about 95% highway and oil up to temp over 20 minutes each way of my commute.
One really has no idea how much fuel is actually in the sample per this report. You also cannot determine whether the viscosity deviation is due to fuel or mechanical shear.

90% short trips are a lot, especially with an engine with high fuel dilution. Many people will say that 100 mile trip once a week burns off fuel and condensation, which is true but...... Those 6 days of short tripping and having the oil which contains the fuel and condensation waiting to be burnt off is not doing the engine any favors. Mobil 1 ESP is a great oil, but in your application bumping to a 40 grade oil might be a good idea. I'll venture a guess and say had you used one of the "thinner" 30 grade oils that "UOA would have been a lot worse. I would also ignore the comment about extending the interval to 12K miles, and consider changing the oil following a severe service interval after a UOA with an Xw-40 grade oil. Wasteful to some, but ultimately it's your vehicle and you have to do what you feel is best.
Thanks for the reply. My current fill is PP LX 0W-30 and it's closing in on 5,000 miles. I'm going to drain it and send it in and fill it with either
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 or something similar. I can't seem to find any 40W oils that are VW 504 approved, any idea why that is?

Reactions: FZ1
Thanks for the reply. My current fill is PP LX 0W-30 and it's closing in on 5,000 miles. I'm going to drain it and send it in and fill it with either
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 or something similar. I can't seem to find any 40W oils that are VW 504 approved, any idea why that is?
Because only 0W-30 and 5W-30 are approved under 504/507. The viscosity is part of the specification.

You won't gain much in the way of KV or HTHS by going to a 502/505 xW-40...

My VW is a 2018 Passat GT, so I've got the VR6 and the DSG. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
That is rad - DSG is the best auto I've ever driven and combined with the VR, it's got to be fun!

Agree with the 5k oci.

Back