Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP Blackstone Report

I recently changed the oil in my 19' VW Atlas. I came here for advice on my first oil change and went with Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP. I sent some used oil into Blackstone and figured I should post the report in case anyone was interested. They seemed pretty impressed with the oil. I'm a little ignorant to what all the data actually means but I'm trying to figure it out. I switched my fill this time and went with Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 just to do a comparison. I'll report back with a Blackstone report on that when I change the oil again. Definitely seems like Mobil 1 is a solid choice for anyone looking for VW approvals.

VWATLASBLACKSTONE.jpg

Wait, which version of Mobil1 0W30 you used?
Mobil1 0W30 ESP
or
Mobil1 ESP 0W30

That is significant drop in viscosity. Makes me think you used ILSAC GF version from Wal Mart.

Mobil1 0W30 ESP
or
Mobil1 ESP 0W30

That is significant drop in viscosity. Makes me think you used ILSAC GF version from Wal Mart.
This does not look like AFE.

This is definitely 0W-30 ESP. The 3.6 puts fuel into the oil. Whole garage smells like gas during an oil change. I run FS 0W-40 in mine.

Mobil1 0W30 ESP
or
Mobil1 ESP 0W30

No its not the advanced fuel economy stuff from wally.
It is Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.

Attachments

• NA-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-0W30.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 137
Yeah you are right. Ad pack is different.
OP, I would bump to W40 weight.
Is that why they make the comment about the 1% fuel in the report? Is that due to the engine adding gasoline to the oil?
What would bumping up to W40 do? It would actually make purchasing oil a lot easier since for some reason 0W-40 is more readily available in my area as opposed to 0W-30.

This does not look like AFE.

This is definitely 0W-30 ESP. The 3.6 puts fuel into the oil. Whole garage smells like gas during an oil change. I run FS 0W-40 in mine.
Would any 0W-30 behave the same way? Like will the Pennzoil I am running now behave the same way? FS 0W-40 is easier to access. Obviously, you're happy with your choice but did you bump up the weight due to the viscosity?

Would any 0W-30 behave the same way? Like will the Pennzoil I am running now behave the same way? FS 0W-40 is easier to access. Obviously, you're happy with your choice but did you bump up the weight due to the viscosity?
I decided on FS 0W-40 because it is less expensive and has a higher TBN.

Viscosity wise there's not much functional difference.

Zikes I have the exact same oil in my VR6 right now. If it looks like this when I UOA I won't be using it again. Ouch, terrible shear and my VR6 had way less iron at those miles.

Is that why they make the comment about the 1% fuel in the report? Is that due to the engine adding gasoline to the oil?
What would bumping up to W40 do? It would actually make purchasing oil a lot easier since for some reason 0W-40 is more readily available in my area as opposed to 0W-30.
Definitely bump viscosity.
V^6 3.6 is the old engine from an era when VW DI engines were dumping fuel into oil like crazy. RooflessVW is right, it stinks when you change the oil.
However, several things I note:
1. TBN is good. This means that there Is no excessive sulfur in gas. So, starting TBN of XW40 oil you choose is not that big of a deal.
2. I would go Castrol 0W40 instead of Mobil1 0W40. Mobil1 0W40 has fairly high SAPS levels which are not desirable in DI engine. Castrol 0W40 is around 1.15%, Mobil1 0W40 is at 1.32%. Lower SAPS is more desirable in engines as long as sulfur levels in the gas are acceptable, and it seems that is the case in the gas you are using.
3. You can go VW511.00 oil (VW511.00 is either 5W40 or 0W40). Motul 5W40 X-Clean GEN2 is a good option, but only available online and it is more expensive than Castrol 0W40.

Here are my UOAs for my 3.6 VR6 Atlas. 40ppm iron is pretty high (to me) at 30K miles. These engines are fuel diluters for sure. All changes at dealer and it looks like last go around was the VW504 00 Mobil 0W30, previous two to that were the Castrol or Mobil VW502 00 5W40 products and the first one may have also been a 0W30, not sure what the dealer uses sometimes. Just DIY'd for the first time with Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 + Ceratec so will be interested to see those results later this year but don't anticipate anything really different, metals should drop maybe a touch more.

OilReports-page-001 (1).jpg

1% fuel imo is a lot. How is the vehicle driven? Short trips, highway runs at full operating temp, a mix? The only way to compare with other UOAs is if the driving conditions are the same. I do agree with that much fuel a 0w40 or 5w40 would be a better choice, especially if it sees a good amount of short trips.

Also should say for the above/my Atlas, almost all shorter trips/around town. Occasional highway trips.

TiGeo's UOA's on the 0w30 held much better viscosity even though still a lot of fuel in them. I don't have near the fuel dilution in mine, but driving conditions are ideal, about 95% highway and oil up to temp over 20 minutes each way of my commute.

Back