Mobil 1 0w-30- consumption question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using M1 0w-30 (the regular one, not the racing oil) and experience any consumption issues with it? I called Mobil tech today and they don't give out NOAK volatility. Pisses me off. There is no way I'd use M1R if a car consumes it more so then other oils.

I tryed it in my 5.0L Mustang. Consumption was 3X what it was with 5W-30 M1. About a quart in 4K-5K miles instead of basicly none in 10K miles. I won't use it again but I do think I'll try the M1R...

If it turns out that M1 R is consumed like M1 SS, I'd really start to loose respect for M1. Who would pay $6 + qt for an oil that burns off so easily?
dunno.gif

[ March 01, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
If it turns out that M1 R is consumed like M1 SS, I'd really start to loose respect for M1. Who would pay $6 + qt for an oil that burns off so easily?
dunno.gif

It's not the $6, it's the consumption. If an engine is oiltight with one type of oil I won't use an oil in it that doesn't have the same characteristics. Oil consumption tells me I'll end up with carbon deposits and sicky rings in the long term. Not a good thing...

I've been using Mobil-1 0w30 oil since 1996 in several cars with no oil burning at all.

Used it in my new 1996 Chevy pickup with 5.7 V8. I just sold that truck last summer and it was still not using any oil.

Used it from the start in both my 2000 Acura and Accord engines with no oil burning. (I just recently on my last oil changed uped to the 0w40 in my Accord but it still never burned any with the 0w30)

I've currently got the 0w30 in my new CRV.

Out of the four cars I've had over several years I've had no oil usages between changes at all.

Not sure why so many are reporting that.........

And YES Mobil-1 DID have the 0w30 weight back in 1996. (someone here said they didn't in another thread) I realize the formula has changed but that's the only oil I've been using for a long long time.

[ March 01, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

quote:

Out of the four cars I've had over several years I've had no oil usages between changes at all.

Not sure why so many are reporting that.........

Thats good to know. It does depend on the car most of the time. Guy at work runs M1 0w-30 in his Accord to 8k miles with no oil usage either. Some cars have a tendency to burn more then others for some reason. I had trouble with Redline 5w-30. Could be the esters or other chemistry. RL NOAK is 5%!

It seems the oil burning complaints are all coming from newer cars with thin oil requirements
and those dreaded low tension piston rings that seem all the rage now with manufacturers.

Seems one starts and they all want in. All to same themselves money from microscopic fuel improvements with no thought to us the customer that in some cases has to put up with 1 litre per 1000 kilometers as 'normal' ( per the manufacturer VW ) oil consumption.
mad.gif

I purchased new a 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 V8. Here is my oil consumption, converted to U.S. quarts and miles:

Mobil 1 0W-30 1 qt every 4,200 miles
Mobil 1 5W-30 1 qt every 4,600 miles
Mobil 1 10W-30 1 qt every 6,800 miles
Mobil 1 15W-50 0 after +7,000 miles

So the basestocks and additive packages do make a difference. I tried the 15W-50 in summer of 2001 doing heavy towing in hot temps. The motor was QUIET. Also, when empty there was NO difference in fuel economy compared to the 0W-30 or 5W-30.

Running either 0W-30 or M1 5W-30, I get a lot of tick-tick-tick valvetrain noises at operating temps. Most of these noises go away with M1 10W-30 and are completely gone with M1 15W-50.

My winter temps can dip to -42 so I absolutely recommend the M1 0W-30 at those temps. It will save the motor. However, in summer with temps +85 F and heavy towing, the motor is VERY noisy on 0W-30.

When I change my oil the end of this April, I'm going back to 15W-50.

Jerry

heyjay, I want to congratulate you on being brave enough to try something thicker then 5W30! It also relives me to see that you use your common sense to decide what oil to use based on ambient temps!!! Good for you!!!

I have been on a one man mission to free the thin oil people from their oil ring genicide but it is a hard fight!

John, I don't plan on using this in my economy car. But by the end of the year, depending on the car, I want to have the best 0w-30 their is.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
John, I don't plan on using this in my economy car. But by the end of the year, depending on the car, I want to have the best 0w-30 their is.
smile.gif

Have you tried GC?

GC might help consumption. On the weekend I was over at a friend's house who has a 98 Camaro Z28 and he is on his second interval with GC now. I asked him what his oil consumption was and he says it now uses no oil between changes, but he was using one quart every 3k when he used Mobil 1 5w30!

I ran Mobil 1 for a time in my wife's old BMW 528. I used 0W30, 5W30 and some 10W30, but 0W30 for about 4 or 5 years straight. Never used enough oil to require a top off on any of the different weights. Sold at 198k and still had no oil consumption.

I also used BMW syn 5W30 and Scheaffers #703, 10W30. This engine liked them all.

I think it depends on whether an engine has a propensity to consume. I don't think Mobil 1 will cause a "good" engine to suddenly consume oil.

Jack

cool.gif
My '02 Ranger 4.0 SOHC calls for 5w-30 but for the winter I put in Mobil 1 0w-30 since I make a lot of short trips. I have almost 4k on the oil and it hasn't used any. I change every 5k.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
heyjay, I want to congratulate you on being brave enough to try something thicker then 5W30! It also relives me to see that you use your common sense to decide what oil to use based on ambient temps!!! Good for you!!!

I have been on a one man mission to free the thin oil people from their oil ring genicide but it is a hard fight!

It is common sense, isn't it? I've always believed in matching an oil viscosity to the ambient temps. Indeed, for HD diesel motors, the specifications may require 3-4 different grades depending on at what extreme you operate at.

How about "the good 'ole days" when we had to use SAE 10W with 10% kerosene? I must admit, the motor was squeaky-clean by next spring, though the oil filters would plug every 2,500 miles.

I don't bash "thin" oil and indeed I was one of the first in my area to switch to "thin" oils for winter. I just wanted the d*** thing to start at -42.

That was back in 1980 when I used Esso XD-3 0W-30 "Arctic" HDEO in my 1980 Toyota pickup. Much improved cold starts, especially colder than -30.

In summer, I ran Esso XD-3 15W-40 in the motor, same grade I used in my HD equipment.

For a long time I was a big fan of Mobil Delvac 1, as it appeared to be a truly "universal" oil. With the CI-4 reformulation, the oil appears to be quite a bit thicker, especially in temps colder than -35.

There aren't too many places on the planet where in winter one can experience -42, and in summer +35 C. So I still end up changing my oil twice a year.

Since joining this forum, I've seen a lot of posts from Widman in Bolivia, and our friends in Oz, who report that oil grade recommendations are FAR different than here in North America.

I've always been leery of the API/SAE "Starburst" recommendations as they are truly lame. My goodness, the oil can thicken +275% and still "pass" the test?

As an example, Ford and Honda only appear to recommend xW-20 oils in North America, where in the rest of the world they recommend up to 15W-50/20W-50 oils.

Thanks to CAFE, they can apply the theoretical 0.01 MPG "improvement" fleet-wide and earn CAFE "credits."

I don't think using a dramatically thicker OR thinner viscosity for 1-2 OCI's will hurt a mechanically sound motor. I'm more concerned about +10 years.

Since motor clearances really haven't changed much in 30 years, and since the same exact motor carries a 20W-50 recommendation in Oz (The fellow with the 2001 Camry), I feel quite safe running a non-Starburst oil in summer.

I'm still surprised that most Vortec truck owners are afraid to play with thinner viscosity grades in winter (To avoid the dreaded "cold start knock") and with thicker viscosity grades in summer (To minimise oil consumption).

In April when I change out my Mobil 1 0W-30, it should have around 8,900km on it. Will do the UOA and see what the results are. Running the 15W-50, will see what the results are when it gets changed out in Oct or Nov.

FWIW I was traveling yesterday and stopped in at a Wally World. They carry the Castrol Syntec 0W-30, sez "Made in Germany." The bottle also stated "unassisted starts to -40."

I guess colder than -40 you had better use something thinner?

Jerry

Something the youngsters here probably aren't aware of, back when I first started using Mobil Delvac 1 in the late 70s, early 80s - Delvac 1 was a 5W-30 oil. And it was a very good extreme cold oil. My 70 Impala sat outside at work for two days one time when I was on a trip. Daytime highs were running at about -20 F! When I got into the car at about 7:00 PM the second day, the actual air temperature was -25 F. Fired right off with no unusual engine noises. Just the usual grunts and groans a very cold engine makes when first started.

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:
Something the youngsters here probably aren't aware of, back when I first started using Mobil Delvac 1 in the late 70s, early 80s - Delvac 1 was a 5W-30 oil. And it was a very good extreme cold oil. My 70 Impala sat outside at work for two days one time when I was on a trip. Daytime highs were running at about -20 F! When I got into the car at about 7:00 PM the second day, the actual air temperature was -25 F. Fired right off with no unusual engine noises. Just the usual grunts and groans a very cold engine makes when first started.

Our local school board took part in a Mobil field trial running Delvac 1 in a variety of gas and diesel bus motors. This was in 1978. I can't recall what the viscosity was, though the results were excellent.

When I first started using Delvac 1 in 1984, it was a 5W-40. It appeared to work well in cold temps, perhaps a bit thicker than Esso XD-3 "Arctic" 0W-30 at -40.

The new CI-4 rated Delvac 1 is quite a bit thicker at low temps. It's no longer a good oil at -40.

Jerry

I've used 25W70 to 5W30 & 0W40 in my Mazda 626 turbo and every viscosity in between. The only difference I noticed was when using 30W the engine was noisy. To me thats lack of hydrodynamic cushioning or something. It will never see another 30W and possibly only XW50 from now on.

After reading these responses and the responses to my oil consumpion poll thread, I think oil consumption depends more on the engine/oil combo then just specifically the oil.
smile.gif
Thanks ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back